Cannondale 2001 F3000 Hardtail Bike

Cannondale 2001 F3000 Hardtail Bike

[Jan 22, 2002]
Nate Rasmussen

Strength:

The frame is hands down one of the best out there. The unforgiving qualities of aluminum are offset by the tubeless tires, so don't worry about a harsh ride. It climbs like a mountain goat on roids. I love the Fatty Ultra. It soaks up the trail better than most, has complete lockout, and it's the most laterally rigid fork available. This bike is stupid-light.

My 3000 came with SD7 brake levers instead of the mags, but I'm over it. Stock SH-515 pedals have to go.

This is an XC RACE BIKE. If you are not going to race, I strongly recommend a FS trail bike at this price range. The 2x9 set up is the way to go if you have the climbing power. Need more vibration dampening/small bump absorbtion in the rear? Add an LP carbon post. With 30 PSI and the carbon post I could almost swear that I'm riding a soft-tail. Did I mention that it climbs well. About 80% of the racers I pass get passed on the up hill. If you're a hard tail, rim brake hold out who wants all of the best components, this is your race rig. Just a note if you're looking to buy one, retail range is $2999-$3599, so if you find one in the in the $1300-$1800 range (and in like new condition) go for it. 5 flamin' Hooyahs.

I havn't ridden anything that compares.

[Aug 02, 2001]
Kile

Strength:

-light weight
-climbing genius
-nice tires
-handles good on anything that isn't highly technical

-I ride lots of technical trails and this geometry dosen't do it for me
-the headshok sucks
-the tubeless tires keep coming off ( I gues they are supposed to do that when leaned too hard )
-2X9 sucks for the hills ride

I bought this bike to ride around on all my local rocky mountain trails, none of that North Shore garbage. I ride good old XC and enjoy it. I bought this bike because of it's light weight and the company has a very good reputation, and they should. This bike climbs extremely well and feel very nuetral on some descents, it dosen't handle extremely technical trails very good at all. The Rockies are full of technical trails, this bike does them but not nearly with the ease of my old kona ti. The Headshok dosen't help with it's descending problem any I think the Headshok kinda sucks. This bike is good for most things but need a geometry update. I feel this bike isn't at all meant for Canadian style riding because it lacks in technical skills but for anyone who dosen't ride technical trails this would be a very good bike for you because of it's climbing abilities. I think next year I will take my old Kona ti frame and just re do the parts on it and turn it into a 22 pound bike because the geometry on the kona was way better suited to my riding style, and the kona ti I feel is a little better of a climber due to it's technical skills.

kona king kihuna ( way better, but heavy )
Trek 8900

[Jul 09, 2001]
Walter

Strength:

Light, stiff, efficient. Razor sharp handling. Climbs like a mountain goat. No lateral flex in the headshok. No flex in the frame anywhere. Funky green paint.

Unforgiving ride. Thin-walled aluminum tubing dents easily if you crash. Compression and rebound damping are very difficult to adjust. Rebound damping is inadequate even with adjustment.

This review is for an 2001 F3000 SL frame only, as I built it up with parts from older bikes.

This is a great bike for someone who loves the ultra-rigid feel of a big-bore aluminum tube frameset. It accelerates and climbs without wasting any energy, whether you're in or out of the saddle. The price you pay is the unforgiving ride, with the shock from every pebble being transmitted directly to your backside. If you've ever ridden a hard-tail Cannondale before, you know what I'm talking about.

The headshok is a mixed blessing. It is laterally stiff and light and has a lockout but... the compression and rebound damping can only be adjusted by disassembling the headset. Even with adjustment, damping is simply inadequate. Cannondale needs to get on the ball, or else go to a more conventional suspension fork.

The ideal owner for this bike would be a dedicated racer who refuses to accept any power loss to frame flex or rear suspension monkey-motion. As for myself, I'm moving on to an Ellsworth Truth.

With the shortcomings of the headshok, I can only give the bike 3 chilis.

F1000, 2001 Ellsworth Truth, Specialized FSR

[Jun 16, 2001]
Dustin Daechsel

Strength:

XTR shifters, rear+front derraileurs, Avid mangesium seems to be pretty good stuff. 2X9 is the way to go, been racing this for two years now, i'm a really good climber so it suits me, also having the product weigh 21 lbs helps a bit too. Paint job kicks ass, tubeless tires+crossmax wheels= sweet shiiat.

uhhh those stupid hutchinson tires on it stock, pedals are weak to. but that was an easy upgrade.

Can't beat it, lockout shock, 21 lbs, cheap for the stuff u get, best components period, headshok does the job, not as well as a bomber but hey what bikes do u see with a bomber that is 21 lbs. Everything down to the stock chain gaurd makes this bike the best package i have ever seen. If u got the means and wanna climb like the best i higly reccomend it.

00 F1000

[Sep 01, 2001]
Rob

Strength:

climbs awesome, steers on a dime, headshok fork tracks better then anything!full XTR X-max toubless

Ditch those cannondale cranks and throw on some XT's or XTR cranks and your set.

this is the best bike I have ever riden if u get the chance buy one!

kona explosif