Bontrager 1999 Privateer Hardtail Bike

1999 Bontrager Privateer, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy C, 2.5" travel fork

Nate   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2000]
Strength:

Maneuverable. Take a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Heavier than other material bikes. LX parts, and Suspension

Great bike if you want something that will last. Change the suspension, and LX parts and you have a great bike.
Keith still rules.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000, Specialized S-Works (self-custom built)
Happy Sky Rocket   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2000]
Strength:

INDUSTRUCTO. Today after crossing a "Man Whole" mud puddle...she breached (pitch polled) tossing me endo...
then started to sink. I sacrificed all and dove in after her....she must have been 7 leagues under. You think I'm kidding. Ahr be-dar. The whole in my chest proves it. INDUSTRUCTO!!!!

Don't know yet. But looking at Sugar or FR bike for grins. Face it...they are getting close to hard tail

I just love to ride. Period. I have twisted, pounded and punished this bike like a red headed step child (sorry MTBR, couldn't resist) and it has taken EVERY @!? THANG. I've never owned carbon, Tia or Al, all I know is that this thing "Takes a lickin and still keeps tickin" So, if you want reliability and to be able to give it up to your child when the time comes....it will be there.

Similar Products Used: Confession: My bike is 1997 - maybe pre-Trek..but I don't even care...still love to hear Kieth's rants.
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2000]
Strength:

Excellent gearing; strong uphills.

Can't shift easily going up hill.

Very good bike; I would buy this bike again any day.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper
Sully   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2000]
Strength:

Smooth ride offered by STEEL frame. Why would anybody ride anything else? Mine came with LX front and XT rear so never have problems with the components. Don't listen to people who say steel is heavy, Can't tell the difference between the Fischer Big Sur or this one. Maybe a pound or two lighter than other hardtails in same category, but the smooth ride is worth it.

I have a very long torso and this bike doesn't give me the option of adjusting the length because it comes with a boner -stem already. Will probably have to eventually move back to a Fischer because they are longer.

Get it if your not too scared about your friends snickering at you about riding steel. It is so much smoother than Aluminum, I want to hang myself that I may have to go back to a Fischer. Don't give in to pure pressure, remember where it got you in Jr. high and high school.

Similar Products Used: Big Sur, Kaitai
charlie green   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2000]
Strength:

handles great, loves to go fast , doesn't hurt my ass-bone

a little heavy, but hey, I dind't pay alot for this muffler...what the hell is with that antichainsucker on the bottom bracket/chainstays? that thing broke my chain 3 times before i took it off. get rid of it.

i paid $600 bucks for mine. you can't beat that price with a bat. swap out the fork and upgrade parts when needed and this bike is all you'll ever need( or want)

Similar Products Used: specialized rockhopper, (this bike is tons better)
Kelly Fraser   Downhiller [Nov 12, 1999]
Strength:

Very solid ride, is quick in technical terrain and capable of getting back on track when you get out of your 'line'.

Gotta stretch for this one! If anything, it's weight, but if you can't handle it, stay on your tricycle!!

It is a very fast and maneuverable bike due to the frame geometry. It's almost like a BMX bike with 28 gears. Speaking of gears, the 'mega 9' rear cassette is awesome!! Smooth shifting and a gear for every situation make it the best bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: Having worked in a bike shop, I am familiar with a lot of bikes. Primarily, the Schwinn Homegrown and the Specialized Rockhopper.
Dave   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 03, 1999]
Strength:

Excellent frame geometry; steel frame gives comfort on long rides and control on fast downhills.

None -- could be lighter but nothing has this bike's strength/weight ratio for under $2,500.

This bike goes everywhere better than any other bike anywhere near its price range. Unless you're ready to pay $3,000 or more for custom grade aluminum, steel is superior. Keith Bontrager wouldn't lie.

Similar Products Used: Hardrock
jumpdaddy420   Downhiller [Feb 17, 2001]
Strength:

balanced for anything, handles dope. can be built to suit DH/urban assault or XC. US built in santa cruz (I have 2 race's). rides hella smooth. Not a common ghetto T-rek or crack-n-fail

finding 1" parts is lame but doable. a little flexy if not built right. They look rickety, but after the first ride that feeling goes away. They're really not otherwise I'd have broken both of mine in half by now!

These bike prove that F/s bike rely on suspension, not skill. I can ride more stuff on thes than most people would on their M-1's! The one w/ the marzocchi on it I love the most. That bike couldn't be more sick! They descend and corner great and do it smoothly. I ride DH and most people don't even know why I have these bikes. Versatility, young jedi... They look flimsy, but go the full 9 baby. I'm thinking about racing DH on the more hooked-up one. If you get one, which you should, go for splined cranks and go threadless. I had bad fork and flex problems (The SID fork, threaded stem, and reg. cranks) on the first one but all was gravy after the second one saw some combat. sell your bike now and buy one if you can find one. I ride this more than my 6"/6" DH bike no kidding.

Similar Products Used: homegrown, FSR, buncha other crap I get to check out working at a shop
Christopher Lawler   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2000]
Strength:

You can't get beat a steel frame like this for the money! Excellent frame geometry and the Bontrager Crowbar riser bar give this bike quick handling in narrow technical single track. The steel frame with the Judy XC makes for a real smooth ride.

If you're a weight fanatic, then maybe you would hesitate. It can easily be lightened up with light Kevlar tires and ultralite tubes. Even having said that, the weight really isn't a factor. I don't know what it weighs exactly, but I know it's not over 26lbs.

If you're looking for an affordable high performance steel hardtail, this Bontrager is the way to go. I rode a flatbar for 8 years and I love the riser bar. It took some getting used to on the downhills because it turns so quick. After a couple of good hard rides, you'll be fine. The geometry and the riser bar make for speedy climbing and the 9 speed setup comes in handy on those tough climbs that leave you searching for that extra granny gear. Unfortunately, this is the last year Keith had decided to make these. If you can get your hands on one, I would buy it in a second. You won't regret it. Oh yeah, and the cool rasta paint job adds a nice aesthetic touch to it all.