Bontrager 1999 Privateer Comp Hardtail Bike

1999 Privateer Comp

1999 Bontrager Privateer Comp, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

Philip Williamson   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2011]
Strength:

Strong. Cheap. Light. :^)

after 10+ years of 200+ lb rider, I pulled some spokes in the rear rim and had to move the hub and spokes to a new rim (Ritchey Girder offset - same ERD). The SID has a weird air fitting, so I bought two, and gave one to my local shop.

My wife bought this for me for Valentine's Day 2000. It was $1300 on closeout, and rode better than the Ibis Mojo and Independent Fabrications bikes I tried.
This bike has given so much joy out riding on my own, or with the dog in the woods. When the 6'2" heavy guy outclimbs the 5'7" guy... that's some bike. I think the wishbone seatstays and no chainstay bridge let the bike flex enough to get in synch with my pedal stroke and just fly.
I've had the rear hub adjusted once in 10 years, and one rebuild of the fork. I am heavy, I ride in the rain and mud, and the bike just takes it. I've come to love the paint scheme, and even the hub-buzz. It means I'm flying down something steep, and I like that!

Similar Products Used: Peugeot Canyon Express, Rivendell Quickbeam, steel RockHopper
KeithO   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2009]
Strength:

strong, light, flexible, smooth, fast, light, comfortable, light,

wheels for sure. blew my rear wheel out over what seemed like nothing.

best hardtail for the buck. i wish it was setup for disc brakes, but not a huge deal as i have survived 11 years without them. cant retire it. it is too good for me.

Similar Products Used: many, many others test-ridden before this.
Elliott Jones   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2000]
Strength:

I just wanted to let you guys know why keith Bontragers frames are so special besides, steel is real, and awsome craftmanship.

Super steep dropins, you know the kind when you pull your brakes and you keep going. The bontragers are designed to rip up singletrack and climd like a billy goat.

most cross country frame geometry has a 72 deg head tube and about the same seat tube. But what makes the bontrager so special is that the seat tube angle is forward 3 deg and the head tube is the same angle. SSSSSSooooooooo this makes the toptube shorter which puts more weight on the front wheel, which also has you sitting upright more. For single track and climbing the bike rocks but remember if its steep and technical its hard to get your weight off the back.

Similar Products Used: a lot
Charlie   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2000]
Strength:

Light and Strong. Excellent parts mix, especially for the price. Quality frame that should last a lifetime.

Not Cheap. Less than fashionable color scheme (Blue, Cream and Orange? I'm a NY Mets fan and don't really like it). Bonty Revolt (low rolling resistance) tires are nice, but will need to be swapped out for fall/winter riding in most areas.

So far, so good. Despite this bike's light weight and fragile (at first) feel, you can ride it with a bunch of confidence. It handles very nicely and climbs extremely well. It's also nice to descend on this baby, but there comes a point on the technical spectrum where a hardtail designed for XC racing isn't what you need under you. However, this bike should eat up the overwhelming majority of the terrain you can throw at it (your mileage will vary).

I was very happy to see that my rig came equipped with the King hubs after reading previous reviews. Yes, the "trademark buzz" is a bit annoying at first, but you do get used to it and there is an added benefit -- when you notice a change in that noise, you know something isn't right. Kind of an advanced warning system (not that I've had any problems thus far).

I haven't experienced any problems with the the RS SID XC as of yet and like its performance very much, especially for the weight and price.

There are a few of these rigs left out there and if you aren't looking for a COOL-RAD-BRO engineless motorcycle, you can do a whole lot worse than the Privateer Comp. Steel has fallen out of favor with the broad consumer market, so the few shops that do have these left are likely cutting nice deals on them. Jump if you have the chance!

Similar Products Used: Last rig was a 95 Specialized Ground Control with a low end parts mix. I'm not much of a weight weenie, but it was at least 32 lbs. Basically, everything on this rig is a major upgrade for me which contributes to my overall satisfaction thus far.
Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2001]
Strength:

Everything! Nothing is overlooked when built by the man!!

None that I have encountered, Bontrager builds tanks!!! Nothing that I have given it can destroy this bike!!!

This is the best bike I have ever ridden. I was sold on Fisher for a while but the last Fisher I bought I ended up doing more repair than riding...go figure, ended up turning it into my townie and bought the Bontrager. Only had one major repair after I destroyed my fork (Judy) and headset. It was a sad day but amazingly enough I didn't put a scratch dent, or bend in the frame!!! Replaced my fork with a long travel and now have more fun than ever.

My Privateer Comp is a 97, it is still running as smooth as ever and I don't have to deal with that bad paint job.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, BUY A BONTRAGER!!!

Similar Products Used: Fisher (a few), Specialized (two), and an old school SCOTT.
Marc kroon   Downhiller [May 05, 2000]
Strength:

The front shock is awesome and i love it. It can take anything you throw at it

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

bike is phat as hell if you can afford it get it!

Similar Products Used: none like it
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2000]
Strength:

Love the feel of steel. Also great geometry- best in tight twisty trails, not that bad of a climber either. The race lite wheels scared me at first (not many spokes), but I trued them out of the box and have not had to touch them since.

Seem to go through brake pads quickly. Will probably replace the Avid Arch 40's with XTR to get rid of the play.

Other than that, this is one sweet bike, I would recommend it to anyone interested in a high performance hardtail. I worked in a bike shop for some time and have seen a lot of bikes and worked on lot of bikes- this is a great bike at a resonable price considering all that you get. Go out and ride.

Similar Products Used: Primarily GT Zaskar and Specialized M2. Have tried almost everything in price range.
CHRIS RAMONE   Racer [Sep 03, 1999]
Strength:

QUALITY CONSTRUCTION
LIGHTWEIGHT/ FOR STEEL