Avanti 2000 Hammer Hardtail Bike

• Front Shock Manitou Magnum R TPC
  • Shimano Deore LX
  • Shimano Deore V-Brakes or Shimano XT Hydraulic Discs and Calipers Levers Shimano Deore
  • Rims Mavic X221 Double Wall CNC Side Wall

• User Reviews (16)

BilliBob   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2008]
    Strength:

Great brush finish, nice geometry, quite light and strong, disc option also on V brake frame.
    XT 755, 4 pot brakes on a XC bike at this price!

Weak deraileur hanger, low spec fork, cheap headset, bad chain gave chain suck. LX model chain CN72 (bad rivets) was replaced with CN73 and then perfect.

I have had 2 of these, 1 disc version and 1 V-brake.
    The disc frame bent in the rear triangle and was replaced under warranty. I sold the V brake one but still have the replacement frame as a commuter bike. The replacement frame was even better and a higher level, stronger rear mech hanger, beter rear gussets! It was basically the 2002 blue hammer frame but as a brush finish.

Avanti were nice to deal with.

It still cleans up perfect because the brush finish does not show up any scratches.

When you buying a bike it is also the service of the shop and brand your buying. Most frames and parts come from same factory with different stickers, its the after sales you need to consider also.

They just don't make em like this anymore!

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, Giant NRS.
    keith S   Weekend Warrior [Dec 23, 2001]
    Strength:

built strong, disc brakes, polished frame looks great

tyres are crap, unforgiving seat

I managed to pick this up for $1945 AUD with the disc option, and a pretty good deal at the time. I have to say that I am very happy with it and I am glad I spent a bit more than I was going to originally and got the disc option. I haven't touched these brakes since I got the bike over a year ago and they still work as well as the day I got em.
    All of the hype about disc brakes is justified, in my book anyway.
    Overall the bikes components are as good as you could ask for without going over the top price wise. And the only real problem I have had was with the original chain, which I broke within the first month.
    The frame is built with strenght in mind (not for the weight wankers). I would rather a lug heavier frame around anyway if it means it will last and not flex.
    The only things I would change would firstly be the tyres. They are crap for the type of trails found around Sydney. They will pick up any loose rock and fling it at you and the bike, I almost broke toe after one nasty chunck of sandstone hit me.
    If you're not concerned about weight the seat may look good but after a full day riding it may aswell be a fence paling.
    The front forks are OK but for my build (100Kg) a bit on the soft side.

For the price I paid I am very happy with this bike. But I think with the new frame colours (not as good as the polished frame) and prices (I think they are now $2600) the hammer loses its edge a bit.
    But even at that price it is still a very good bike.

Steve "Maddog" Tattam   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2001]
    Strength:

This bike is bloody light in dry weight, which makes for great handling on XC single track (Especially uphill muddy conditions. The 2000 black graphics on steel bruched frame looks great (2001 colour scheme is not so cool). I just completed the 2001 Canberra MONT 24hr XC race (part of a team of 4, some freaks went solo, hats off to them though) and the bike held up really well on the 19.5km circuit. It rained during the night (that really annoying constant light rain) and by midnight the track was equal to sea state five in mud version. Some spots saw mud reach the axals. However, without digressing too much, the hammers light weight and brillant mid level comp deore running gear got my through it with a smile on the other side. The bike carried me most of the night so 500m before the finish line on my second last lap I decided to return the favour and had a run whilst carring the bike. People asked what was going on and I replied, nothings wrong, this bike has been so good to me that I thought I would return the favour. Apart from mud packing preventing use of the front granny wheel every now and then the gearing was spot on (I prefer to use ICE WAX and degrease often on the chain). I also recommend a neoprene chain guard.

I see in the other reviews that people are a little vexed about the chain hitting the derailer when using high or low range, I don't see that as a problem, if the gearing is used correctly. 27 gears are always going to present a little side scrapping at extreme ranging!

Nice to see that the option for disc brakes are there as well.

Manitou Magnum R forks are a little below standard, something a little more ballsie would be preferred.

Standard Rims are OK for maybe getting around town, however, for XC I use a QLD companies (Velocity) rim called the "Cliffhanger", it's a great robust rim for XC Mtb'g.

The XO saddle (looks rad) is OK I guess, except after the 24hr race, I felt like I had a massivly distended grapage. I guess yu could always opt for a very uncool soft seat.

I really dig the hell out of this bike, and gets to stay in the corner of my bedroom so I can gaze upon it in the morning and get inspired to go ofor a burl!

And cool dude once said "If you have the means, I highly recommend it!"

If you can still get your hands on a 2000 hammer, go for it!

P.S If some people find the handle bar to high, try turning the KORE stem upside down.

Similar Products Used: Giant comp entry bikes.
    Amandeep Sethi   Weekend Warrior [Jan 23, 2001]
    Strength:

Awsome braking power, Light weight, No flex, very stable handling! & Looks sexy! P.S: The stainless steel hydrolic brake cable doesnt do anything to the bike as long as its covered with the plastic tubing!

Rear feels a little hard. Maybe thats why they call it a hard tail! Plastic tubing around brake cable makes it hard to fit on a bike rack cause the tube is oversized anyway.

The frame is pretty much bullet proof! XT Disc brakes are the best I have ever used! Suspension could be a little better
    Overall for the price its a AWSOME value! A little more expensive for XT's

If u want to get the best without going overboard! Change the Rear derailier to XT too! Leave the cranks as is! There good enough!

A great bike for a rough and demanding MTB'er!

Similar Products Used: Avanti..., Giant ATX's...
    Sticks   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2000]
    Strength:

love the front shocks & Kore headset. Very light and smooth to ride. Looks cool.

i'm yet to get the LX rear derailer to work properly.

I've only had it for a little while but already love it. It has great components for the price. A bargain in my mind.

Similar Products Used: Avanti Aggressor
    Damien McIntosh   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 2000]
    Strength:

Light, Strong, Looks great. Stiff as hell. Good components for the price. Great acceleration.

Still getting use to the seat.

This is my second MTB I own. I also have a 1991 GT and this Avanti kicks its' butt. So much lighter, stronger with no flex.
    The forks are great and the components meet my needs for reliable blasts through the country side on the weekends.

The Hammer with the V brakes is a great package for the price. Highly recommend it as a mid-price/mid-spec machine.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX 860
    Carrie   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2001]
    Strength:

Rims, Short top tube on woman's frame, fork, cranks, Tires

Leaking Judy C Fork!!!!

Cool bike! It is not a huffy like some of you people ride and write about on here. I placed 2nd in my First competition at the Rock and Trot in Greensboro. My bike rules!

Similar Products Used: None, Limited to woman's frame design
    Vilgehim   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2001]
    Strength:

Stiff reactive frame, very well balanced bike easy to control and throw around. Very light My upgrades transformed this into a much higher end prforming machine. Even looks sharp. LX rear derailleur with deore componentry is all you need as its robust.

Standard specialised tyres waste of space, for 80kg up needs firm kit in standard forks. Expected less buckle from mavic rims. 9-speed range creates rub on front derailleur at least somewhere in gear range regardless of adjustment. Not really the bikes fault but Shimano to look at.

Value for money at Aussie exchange rate with US. Riders in US don't know how lucky they are for the variety available to them and at less than half the price we have to pay.
    This bike setup costs me about AUD$ 1,900. imagine what bike you can get for that in US. Well this bike will match its performance.
    I'm also a downhill ski speed freek so I expect the most from my sporting equipment.
    I am throughly impressed with the Avanti Hammer for the money and would recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Avanti-Barracuda, Avanti-Aggressor, Giant-870, Garry fisher-BIG SUR, Diamond Back-Apex, Gunnar-Rockhound, Haro XLS-2.0.
    Andy Singh   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2001]
    Strength:

Extreemly light frame
    Extreemly Quite and smooth
    Handles very well
    Best Disc brakes in the world!!!!

Chain hits frame when landing off jumps! A simple padding can be baught to wrap around frame. = Sweet!!!

A very responive bike!
    Looks awsome!
    Handles very well

BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER RIDDEN!

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX .......... many!
    Andrew   Weekend Warrior [Oct 05, 2000]
    Strength:

Good and reliable equipment specs, handles well and good looks. XT disc option is great value and a wise upgrade. Bike is easily upgradable if required.

XT disc brakes take a while to wear in before optimum braking performance is achieved. Brakes also had a substantial amount of drag.

It took me a while to find a bike which not only was decent, but also was appealing to the eye. For a long term investment, take up the XT disc brake option and upgrade the rest of the components later(not a huge upgrade). A fork upgrade will give the bike better handling and a suspension seatpost is also a good idea for personal comfort. Ride the bike hard to discover the bikes full potential and limitations.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX 860