Airborne 1999 Lucky Strike Hardtail Bike

1999 Lucky Strike

Airborne Lucky Strike

Martin   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2000]
Strength:

Solid all around frame. Welds look pretty good to me but i really don't stare at them while thrashing the trails.
Amazing climber

None really unless your one of those peeps who are offended buy budget ti.

This bike is super sweet. I've heard the weld are not the prettiest but I don't sit there and stare at them and the bike has not busted on me yet. It has been very stiff on the climbs and compliant on the ruff stuff. It's a great all around hard tail. I don't know why some riders who ride the expensive ti bikes are so threatened by this bike. They all talk about the quality of the Ti and welds. They still can't beat me up a climb, and that's all that really counts. And if the frame should break, well liftime warrenty will replace it. Sweet Ride.

Similar Products Used: Concordesteel, SpecializedM2 Diamond Backsteel, SpecializedFSRxcM4 and so on and so on
CHARLES   Weekend Warrior [Jan 13, 2001]
Strength:

TI, PRICE,

FLEX, CUSTOMER TREATMENT,COMPANY POLICY, UNABILITY TO RIDE FIRST

I ORIGINALLY POSTED A EXCELLENT REVIEW HERE MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THE CUSTOMER RELATIONS. WHAT I DID'NT KNOW WAS THAT 6 MONTHS LATER, AIRBORNE KEPT MY CREDIT CARD # AND BILLED ME MORE $ FOR A REPLACEMENT BAR AND STEM AFTER THE ORIGINAL WAS NOT A GOOD FIT. WHEN THE 2ND BAR AND STEM CAME, I IMMEDEATELY GOT A CHARGE ON MY CREDIT CARD AND THOUGHT I PURCHASED THE 2ND SET-UP. I DID NOT READ THE FINE PRINT AND DID NOT KNOW I STILL HAD TO SHIP THE 1ST SET-UP BACK, SINCE I WAS BILLED. NOW, 6 MONTHS LATER, I AM BILLED AN ADDITIONAL $66 FOR NOT RETURNING THE IST SET-UP.I FEEL THIS IS BAD CUSTOMER RELATIONS, ESPECIALLY SINCE I WAS'NT ABLE TO RIDE THE BIKE FIRST. ALL THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO DO WAS NOTIFY ME WITH A SIMPLE E-MAIL OR CALL, AND INFORM ME I OWED THEM THE 1ST SET-UP. NOT JUST BILL AN EXISTING ACCT, SO BE VERY CAREFUL DEALING WITH THEM

Similar Products Used: SCHWINN, LITESPEED
Shane Swanson   Racer [Jan 09, 2001]
Strength:

The frame is indestructable. It climbs and acelerates very well. I want to consistantly go faster whenever I ride it. The seat stay design reduces frame flex as experienced in other titanium frames when applying the rear brake.

Too much lateral flex. Do not try to go MTB trail touring with it as which might be true with any titanium frame. The manufacturer has removed the rear rack mounting holes from angles where the seat and chain stays meet. It will also flex laterally if out of the saddle and sprinting, especially at my weight of 180 pounds. The weight is 3.76 lb for an 18 inch frame, which is heavier for a titanium frame, but the bike is still quite light with the components (~23 lbs) and for the price.

This bike is a good alternative to more expensive titanium bikes. I have had mine since April of '99 and have raced 28 XC mountain bike races with it. I have around 2100 miles on it and have had only componentry problems such as broken chain, pulled spokes, pinch and thorn flats. If you weigh more than 180 pounds and ride a 19.5 inch frame this bike may have too much lateral flex for you. The best way to find out if you like is to ask a friend who has one to let you test ride it or go to Airborne in Madison, WI like I did and test ride one for a couple of days. Their service is great and you will not need to use the lifetime warranty for the frame. Good luck finding your ride!

Similar Products Used: Trek, Schwinn
gustavo   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 2000]
Strength:

- Ti bike at a great price. That means a great frame to ride in terms of life weight and softness, in my opinion is one of the best bikes price performance.

Airborne Saddle it hard, get a different one

I had a Specialized Stumpjumper 90 M2. I was happy actually it is a great bike, but I decided it was time to get a new bike. I went and look at different bikes, my budget was around 1000 USD, I ride twice a week, I have been riding for 7 years. I wanted a light hard tail bike, I will not go into the details of why I discared full suspension bikes.
Anyway, I tried to find a Specialized Stumpjumper M2 and I could not find a decent price on that bike and could not find my size to try the bike. So my second option was Cannondale, I got a good price on a F700 with XT components and I was happy with their suspension. Nevertheless when I started to ride it, I had some problems: Too stiff, center of gravity was too high, which meant that going downhill I did not feel comfortable. So I decided to switch again, after 3 months with my Cannondale. When I bought the Cannondale I did not purchased the Airborne because I could not ride it. But later a friend of mine bought one and I was able to test the bike.
That is when I fell in love with the bike. It was soft as my stumpjumper, but lighter, great bike going uphill and even better going down hill. The frame will last forever, will never scratch. The geometry is very well balance in terms of the size ratios.
Get this bike, do not get scared because you can not test the bike, you will like it.
Price performance I do not think anybody can beat this bike. When I looked at other Ti bikes they were at least 1000 USD more expensive.
Company: Look guys, I am located in Mexico, I exchanged my seat and post, my credit card did not work the first time. Regardless of all the problems they had with me as a customer, they were GREAT, customer service was great. Everything I did was using email, and it worked great.

Maybe you read this and think this is too good to be true. Well is true. There is something bad I have to said their saddle is terrible, get another one, not the airborne saddle.

Similar Products Used: Specialized StumpJumper M2
Cannondale F700
Jayur Mehta   Weekend Warrior [Feb 19, 2001]
Strength:

Great titanium price at an amazing price. Good welds, great geometry. From the time it takes to order this bike, build it and get it through the mail, is fantastic. 14" frame is great for the smaller rider who wants more control.

Marzocchi fork not set up well upon delivery. The frame flexes as expected.

This bike is a great second bike for anyone who doesnt care much about the prettyness of their bike (though I think mine is a work of art). The bike rides fantastic and just begs to ridden hard, I feel as if I have more confidence as a rider because of it. The people at Airborne are amazing also. If a part you need isnt in stock, they will not hesitate to upgrade that part for almost no surcharge.

I've take this bike riding trails, urban assault and just cruizing and in every way this bike performs great. The 14" inch frame makes this bike fantastic for more technical riding and jumping. I highly recommend this bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000
Mike Croteau   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2000]
Strength:

Quality, Value, ability to custom spec. EVERY component and see the price and weight online, customer service, looks, Ti ride.

Cable routing, being able to try before you buy.

Awesome, light, responsive and strong.
Buying the bike was the best part.
They have a great website that simplifies the whole process. I found the fork (a demo at 1/2 off retail price) on their classified ads page and went from there.They don't make the Lucky Strike without Disc tabs any more so I asked them if they had any more of the old frames. The president of the company e-mailed me back saying that he had one left with a blemish on the decal and gave me a good discount. I asked him who I could call to spec. the rest of the bike and he gave me his direct number. Spent about 45 minutes going over each component after asking me some basic questions about my height, weight and riding style. A week later, the bike was at my house. After spending an hour carefully unpacking the bike, attaching the handlebar, my pedals, front wheel, and seatpost, I was on the trails.
It climbs like a goat and is fast and stable. After a week or so, I decided to get a longer stem so I called them up and they sent me a new one for free.
Now it's perfect.
I highly recommend the company and their bikes to anyone who wants a quality Ti bike at a budget price.

Similar Products Used: Specialized hardtail, Klein hardtail, C-Dale hardtail,
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2000]
Strength:

Frame, weight, bike handling, individualized component selection, customer service, value for the dollar.

Cable routing: the cable guides/braze-ons are located on the bottom of the top tube. This makes carrying the bike difficult. Also, with Airborne, you cannot test ride the bike before buying.

I have now owned my Lucky Strike for 13 months and have probably put 2,000 miles on it on dirt, rock, and desert sand (I ride almost exclusively off-road). The bottom line is that this is a great bike, especially when you consider the price. I daresay that it rides as well as Ti bikes twice the price.

There's not much I can say that hasn't been said below on the positive aspects of this bike and how it handles. Just some thoughts:

- I have crashed this bike multiple times -- hard. There have been no structural effects to the frame from these wrecks, and the worst thing that happened was a bent brake lever (that my LBS was able to fix).
- I "upgraded" from the Rock Shox suspension seat post to a rigid carbon fiber post -- I didn't like the feel of the sus. post under my rear. The combination of the Ti frame and the sus. post actually provided too much vertical flex. Now, with the rigid post, the feel is perfect.
- The frame is rigid in all the right places (laterally), and flexy where it is supposed to be (vertically).
- The $1,300 price listed at the top of this page for this bike is a bit of a red herring. That price would be with the bottom end components only. I had to spend $2,100 to get an XT Lucky Strike that weighs 23.5 lbs. My guess is that the guy below whose bike weighs 20.5 lbs. (!) must have spent close to 3K. Yes, there is an inverse relationship between the amount you spend and the weight of the overall bike. This relationship is easy to see when you are spec-ing out your bike on Airborne's cool web page.
- I found that individually picking my own components was one of the best things about this bike. You get a ride that is personalized for YOU.
- Customer service: 1) I got a free upgrade on my wheelset (almost a $150 value) simply because they were out of stock of the set I ordered. 2) I have changed my stem free of charge four times under the fit guarantee (yes, I'm a perfectionist and am trying to "detail" the fit). With each request, Airborne has sent me a new stem free of charge.

This is a great bike at a greater price. The only danger is that the consumer will listen to those like Derek who for various reasons are threatened by the Airborne Corporation, instead of purchasing one of these wonderful mountain bikes.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, GT, Cannondale.
Erik Tedesco   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2000]
Strength:

Strong construction, bike has stood up to some abuse on trails. I weigh in at 190 pounds and am an avid twice a week rider in trails alone. The bike is responsive in tight technical areas and is a great climber. The fit of the bike is comfortable as well as efficient. Also the bike does not make creaking noises as aluminum bikes do and absorbs more of vibration than aluminum frames.
I purchased my Airborne on the internet and found the whole experience outstanding. There staff was informative and to the point. All options I had selected with the bike came in 100% correct. And the bike was reveived a day ahead of their promise date. A nice follow up card and call was also done to check out satisfaction as well as how the minor assembly went together, nice touch.

Only one - the headset froze up on me. Airborne sent me a new one overnight.

This bike was a great purchase from the start. I purchased the bike on the internet which initially I had felt akward about. But dealing with their staff was a pleasure. Every component I had selected was all there 100 percent. And the bike was even received a day ahead of schedule.
This bike is not a cheap entry to Titamium. I am a 190 pound rider who rides twice a week religiously and not on gravel roads. This bike handles extemely well and is a great climber. I would definetely recommend this bike to anyone interested. See you on the trails, I will be the one who just passed you out with an smile from ear to ear.