Univega 2000 DS-950 Full Suspension Bike

Univega 2000 DS-950 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Magnum, 3.0" travel fork

[May 23, 2001]
greg

Strength:

love the sedona 2.25 tires.can anyone really tell the difference between LX and XT.this bike has not missed a shift.a very cool looking bike.

i've heard alot about the discs screeching.haven't experienced it.i honestly haven't had a bit of trouble.

i guess i wasn't the only one to pick up on that supergo deal.quite simply the deal of a lifetime.i'm a sport class racer and would not be scared to race this bike.i find myself spending more time on this bike than my trek,and i love my trek.

first dual suspension bike ridden,so i might not know better.what i don't know won't hurt me.

[Apr 28, 2001]
Zach Richards

Strength:

Components-tires, rims, shimano parts
lighter than previous bike

chain kept chatching on little pins in the cranks, but were smoothed over with dremel
cheap rear shock
brakes often squeak

excellent bike for price with very nice perfomance and agility

FSR Sport

[Apr 30, 2001]
dave kolceski

Strength:

decent geometry & weight, good tires/rims, disc brakes, good shimano throughout

crappy rear shock, front derailer cable frame mounted @ angle...cable rubs/catches

For the price, you can't beat this bike with a stick, and they're pushing the ds-900!
I dont care what others say about the brakes, I think they are great...good modulation & stopping power-who wants to mess with hydraulics??!!
Front fork could use an upgrade, rear shock is crap.
If you want into this sport for under $500 and dont want your bike to fall apart under you as the others laugh and laugh, this is the bike to get.
Thank God for the recall last year on those diacomp's that were crapping out...now you can get a great bike for real cheap!
I give it 5 piles of stew for value, and 4 mounds of poo overall

schwinn s-10

[Mar 30, 2001]
Aaron

Strength:

suspension is active and most of the componets are good. Great deal for the price, cant beat it.

first time i went hard up a hill the chain snaped.
the breaks, Promax somthing are useless. every time you stop they sound worse than fingernails skraping a chalk board, i tried lubing them up but that dint do anything.

I think this is one of if not the best bike out thair you can get new for the $$$. It is light as far as FS's go and the suspension definetaly works. If you have the $$$ get somthing good, but if your like most of us Poor than thain you should look in to it. I do a lot of jumping and drop offs, bottmed out the shock easely ganna be the first thing i upgrade, next to the crappy breaks.

Raligh, Fisher, C-dale.

[May 11, 2001]
Lou

Strength:

Lightweight frame, Massive tires, Disc brakes

Front and rear shocks

I spent two Months researching different bikes online and in the stores. I test rode and had a deposit on a Schwin Rocket 88 stage II but took a chance on this bike because of the value and boy am I glad I did. First, this bike climbs like a Goat. I was able to climb hills that my last bike (mongoose dr40) couldn't. Second, there is no other bike on the market for under $1000.00 with all the "stuff" that this bike comes with. Third, I can upgrade the things that I need to without breaking the bank. If you can still find one buy it and if you don't like it email me I have five jealous friends who want one.

[May 13, 2001]
Sam

Strength:

Cost decent components for the $
Seems pretty well built and durable...for 500 bucks probably the best you'll can get for that price range.
Nice wide tires, full suspension...name brand components.
Much better than any Dept. store deal.!

A little heavy but hey..what you want for $500 bucks.
Mech disc brakes are not the best... but not too too bad.

if you looking to get into a FS mountain bike.. and can only spend $500 this is it.. havnt seen a better deal for $500 unless its used or something. Probably not the best of XC long hauls due to its weight but probably do fine for a few hours of fun.
I use it as a back up bike for when my bikes in the shop or when a buddy with no bike wants to ride.

Trek y11, GF sugar 4

[Jul 17, 2001]
Chris

Strength:

tires, frame, wieght, look, pedals, for, etc.

front deraileur, rear shock

This is a really nice bike. i think that the clamp hitting the tire when the fork is close to bottoming out is sorta like lockout but thats my twisted idea. otherwise i dont think i coulda found a nicer bike at this price. the tires are like crash protection cuz when you fall theyre big enough to bounce you back up. the disc brakes are a nice little addition and i havent experienced any problems yet like some people have (i.e. screeching).i only give it 4 overall because there are many better bikes out there.

my first fs bike

[Aug 15, 2001]
john

Strength:

fork is pretty good, wheels, and the brakes are ok thats it

where can i start, the rear shock is cheap the inner arm unscrews everytime i ride it and it has broke twice, the shifting is horrible and doesnt shift when you tell it to, it also came unaligned to the cassette, the frame doesnt look that great, and the bike is just fallin apart

not a good bike, its like a bike you buy from toys r us its just cheap. I laugh at the thought that they actually sold these for $1000 its pathetic. My chain broke on me, the rear shock has broke on me, the shifting skips all the time, the chain falls off i mean come on thats not up to its price. I only bought it for 500 and i think that was ALOT to pay for this. the tires are also to big for the frame and when the fork bottums out it skims up against the tire. I also broke one of the bars inside the wheel and the rear shifter. Its just cheap. i recomend that you dont waste your time looking at this bike. you would be much better getting a sugar 3 or some kind of known brand thats not gonna fall apart

[Jun 26, 2001]
peter

Strength:

Cheap, Durable, Good Looking, Good rims & tires. Disc Brake, Shimano Deore/LX Mixed.

Cheap Rear Shock.

The Best bike you can get for under 500 dollar......period. However, Derby USA have decide to cancel the Univega line. hopefully they will still fullfill the warranty on this bike

Voodoo Hoodoo AL, Jamis Dakar Expert.

[Apr 09, 2001]
Joe

Strength:

Weight / Price / Disc Brakes / Tires

I haven't experienced any yet.

I'm a climber/mountaineer by trade and wanted to get a reasonably priced bike to stay in shape instead of running. I did my homework and for the price you can't beat this bike. The components aren't top of the line but are more than satisfactory and do a great job.

As for people who trash a lot of the products listed on this website, here's some reality:

If you spend $300 - $700 on bike don't expect the thing to perform anywhere near that of a $2000 bike. Would you climb Denali or Aconcagua with a Walmart tent and Coleman boots? You get what you pay for!

As for this product, I am new to the sport and think this is a great deal for someone starting out and not entirely sure of how far you plan on going into MTBing. The admission price is low and if you don't like it, hell, you spent less than $500 that you could probably get back selling it. Great price, Great bike!