Univega 1999 DS-600 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Univega DS-600, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 260, 2.0" travel fork

Bouncin Bob Hagerty   Racer [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

Good Frame, nice price, smoothes out the roughest trails

shifters, and brakes

Excellent purchase for the weekend rider up to novice racer.
Would recommend strongly to anyone considering making the switch to full suspension. Would recommend replacing the shifers and brakes with upgraded components when the stock parts wear out.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Klein, Gary Fisher, Cannondale
bryan   Downhiller [Dec 27, 1999]
Strength:

nothing

welding/frame

this bike is crap. the welding and frame bent where the shock bracket attaches to frame. highly recommended that this bike be put to death

Similar Products Used: schwinn 4banger
travis good   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 1999]
Strength:

low price. looks sharp. nice componets.best bike you could get for the money.handles nice

heavy.suspention sucks.

it is a realy nice bik it has not disapointed me yet.could use a new fork and rear shock. besides that i cant complain.

Brandon Donovan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2001]
Strength:

Looks cool

Really heavy, suspension sucks, rims are fragile, sram 5.0

I bought this bike because I trusted a friend that I thought knew a lot about bikes. He didn't and I feel like I got screwed by buying this bike. I will never buy another full suspension bike.

Similar Products Used: pogo stick
Mike   Downhiller [Apr 29, 2000]
Strength:

Great Ghost rider and cliff diver

riding

THIS BIKE SUCKS! i BENT THE RIMS IN 1MONTH. i TRYED A 2FT WHEELIE DROP AND IT THREW ME OFF THE BIKE. THE REAR SHOCK IS LIKE A PO-GO STICK. ITS A SPRING BASICLY THAT WHEN COMPRESSED JUST RELEASES AND LAUNCHES THINGS. NOW I CANT RIDE MY TRAILS I BUILT IN FEAR OF SERIOUS INJURY FROM THE BIKE. If ur a begginer and want a full suspension. PLEASE DONT BUY THIS BIKE. YA U MAY HATE UR BIKE U HAVE NOW FOR A FEW MORE MONTHS BUT IT WILL BE WORTH GETTING A 1000 DOLLAR BIKE. BELIVE ME.

Similar Products Used: garbage can
Bike Master Mike   Racer [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

Full Suspension
Good Riding position for street riding

VERY HEAVY!
Cheap Taiwanese components

OK, I work at a shop and got this bike for my girlfriend.
Right from the start, she liked her Raleigh SC30 rigid bike better. I rode this bike home from her house a few times, since I was drunk and didnt have one of my bikes with me.
This bike is perfect for street riding. There are some quality issues with the components though.

One minor one was that the numbers on the shifter rubbed off after 2 months. The rear shock developed a major squeeking problem after a few rides. I took off the rear shock and found that rotating the shaft 180 degrees eliminated the squeek and a lot of friction. The rear shock has no damping whatsoever and it shows. The rear of this bike bobs up and down like crazy. Thats not a problem for the geezers this bike is intended for.

The front shock was very surprising. It worked well on 1-2" tall bumps and the sections of concrete that stick up on the street. It must use a cheap elastomer for spring/damping. The damping qualities are very good. Thats great for this fork since it has so little travel. MCU springs dont have as much damping effect.

My girlfriend sold this bike after riding my 22 pound single speed and decided to get a lighter bike. The DS600 weighed in at 36 pounds, for the small 16" frame. Her new bike weighs 26 lbs, 10 oz. Its a cro-moly KHS Team frame that I built up with a 1999/2000 LX component group and a 98 Rock Shox Judy T2. Spent $850 to build it up, but performane went way up and weight went way down. More than 9 pounds! No rear suspension, but she only rides on the street.

Mike   Racer [Dec 15, 1999]
Strength:

Everything

umm nottin i could fine

This bike is the best bike for its money as a entry full suspension bike.

Similar Products Used: None
Sal Kulkarni   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 28, 1999]
Strength:

Design, strength, durability, weight not bad. Wheels, brakes.

Shifters, saddle saddle SADDLE!!!

This is a wonderful bike for the money. As one other reviewer has stated, you don't have to win the lotto to get a good bike. But I must warn you, please buy this bike from a reputable dealer (as with any investment). The only thing that I can say is that shifting may have to take some getting used to. It's not as smooth as the other bikes I Have tried, but that's a drawback that I can live with. I'm a beginner, and I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed with this investment as a first investment. Go for it, put some miles on this thing, and I guarantee you you'll soon upgrade, which is a good thing. This bike will make you love the sport and exercise of cycling. This frame kicks major butt.

Similar Products Used: Giant Warp DS1, 2.
Jason Walker   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 1999]
Strength:

Price, A great first Full suspension bike for the money. This is a good bike for someone who is not quite sure if they are going to really injoy the sport of downhill.If you have ridden a full suspension bike this is not for you. If you are a full suspension rookie it will work great. This bike is easily tailored to ones on preference by doing small upgrades.

Soft front fork.Rims won't take alot of abuse.Bike made as is for a rider not over 175lbs.

Look, this is a great bike for the money. Do not let a commissioned salesperson tell you any different they just want you to spend 3 times as much for your first full suspension bike. If they are smart, this is a great full suspension bike for a first timer. This bike made me realize what a great sport mountain biking is, and I am already looking at buying a more expensive bike in the next few months. The bootom line is it is a great bang for the buck. Don't let the economy of this bike trick you into feeling like a poser, get on it, ride it,enjoy it. If you are like me this bike will turn you on to mountain biking 100% and eventually you will buy a more expensive bike. Salespeople take heed, encourage your begining riders to consider this bike. If they are really serious they will very quickly,and very eagerly upgrade to a better bike and you will be the hero. Change the tunnel vision approach of get it all now. Do what is best for your consumer, and you will end up selling two bikes not just the one. If I had listened to reviews and salespeople I would not have purchased this bike, would have had to spend $1000.00+ just to find out if I liked the sport.Sell the spirit of ridding, not just the bike. I am now a 5 day a week rider and loving it. Thanks to the bike, not the salesperson

Henry   Weekend Warrior [Mar 23, 1999]
Strength:

Great looks, Suspension works good, like the adjustability of the rear. Good price for a full suspesion bike. Without having to win the lotto.

SRAM components, Front suspension to light for anyone over 160lbs.

Good bike the entry level to middle level rider