Trek 2001 Fuel 90 WSD Full Suspension Bike

2001 Fuel 90 WSD

Karen   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2002]
Strength:

Great bike, first full suspension bike, was riding a gary fisher kaitai previously. The WSD is great, no more neck pain. The bike is fast and durable, like a lot of others said it rides like a hardtail but you cant feel the bumps. Its not "cushy" like other bikes I tried. Feels like a race bike. Looks cool too, in the past I've steered away from Womens specific products because they dont look as cool, girly colors and such. This bike looks mean and can take whatever you put it through. Been out twice on mine, just got it last week, it's covered in mud already. Plus I couldnt beat the price $750.00 brand new. Feel like I sole it really.

not crazy about Bontrager parts but can always upgrade

Love it, nice job Trek

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher sugar (too long), Cannondale Jeckle (too soft)
tracey   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2002]
Strength:

I've really enjoyed this bike! The full-suspension takes the bumps & logs with ease. Bontrager did great on the seat design, it's very comfortable.

The seat post creaks, I've taken it back to the dealer and they tightened it, but it's back with a vengence! It's agravating & embarrassing. I only weight 120lbs, so we're perplexed at why it does this. I'm going to contact Trek to see if they'll do anything.

I'm very pleased with it. I think it was a fair price for what I got. I would recommend it highly, but I would suggest negotiating with your Trek dealer a remedy for the creaking seat post.

Similar Products Used: None.
lj   [Oct 20, 2001]
Strength:

This is an awesome machine. Great geometry & linkage. Absorbs so much, yet lets you feel the intricacies you need for the drops and logs.

Cables cut through the aluminum frame (you have to wrap the contact points with tape), as does the chain when it pops off towards the frame.
The rear disc brakes SCREAM!!!! ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMEDY THIS????????

I love this bike. The WSD geometry allows for the proper positioning so that you don't get muscle fatigue (too quickly!!). Also, it makes it easier to pop up the front tire, or hang off the back, because of the great geometry and balance. This bike feels like it was made for me.

Similar Products Used: I had an old "Team Chance" cromoly frame, sweet hardtail... but it's like comparing apples to chocolate body paint.
Shred Betty   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2001]
Strength:

This bike is the first bike that really fits. I don't have the sore neck and back that I used to have. This bike is FUN. Tight and quick and forgiving when it needs to be.

The bikes clipless peddles suck, I've had issues with chain suck and the disc brakes howeled. These were easy to fix. MY only issue now is my frame CREAKS- it feels like it may blow-up at anytime. Why it creaks? - No one knows- the bike mechanics have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and we have tried numerous things to stop the creaking. At 120 lbs it is not like I hammered the bike- it has been ridden, but not hammered. Perhaps, the frame itself has a defect-

I love my bike- now that I've customized it and fixed all the minor annoying details. My biggest concern now is when my frame is going to blow-up. It fits and rides like a dream, I hope that it doesn't blow-up now that it is just perfect for me (I'd be crushed).

Similar Products Used: My old bike was a Kona AA. Loved it but I love the fit of this bike much better.
Alicia P   Racer [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

Great looking bike that's fast, fast, fast! High quality frame, components, comfortable saddle, and awesome handling-both uphill and down. Get an almost-custom fit bike for a great deal.

Drive chain line is not as straight as I'd like. Occasionally the chain will pop off on a dowbhill, if not in a big enough gear. Stickers don't stick very well- so I just peeled them off- mine only says Fuel on one side which I think is cooler anyway.

Great bike for the money, especially for racers and other women who like to ride fast. Won my first two races on it. It allows me to keep up with my boyfriend more often,

I really believe in the advantages of a women specific design for all sports equipment. Full suspension is especially advantageous for the rocky Northen New Jersey riding I do sometimes or for rough terrain. I've never had any pain- even after an almost three hour race.

Alexa   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent component group for the money; just the right geometry for me as a woman

Let you know later

This bike fits me perfect. If you are experiencing shoulder or neck pain just riding around your neighborhood, your frame may be too long/big for you. The women specific has a short top tube and even short cranks, and a very comfy Bontrager saddle. The choice of suspension on this machine just adds to the enjoyment. Biker chicks rule the trails - especially with a Trek WSD. I should also add that the bike comes stock with XT rear, Rolf wheelset, and a comfy Manitou SXR fork. All this and disc ready...what more do you need? Just a jersey from Patagonia.

Mrs Senior Dan   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2001]
Strength:

Quality components right out of the box. Shorter cranks and small frame are great.

Cable adjustments on shifting several times makes me wonder if there is a crank/chainring flaw?

I'm a physiotherapist so a bike that is ergonomically friendly is important for myself. The ride is excellent and I can hammer the slop and slope with Mr. Senior Dan.

bossypants   Weekend Warrior [Aug 24, 2001]
Strength:

Fit for a 5'2" mini girl, climbing without bobbing, soaks up the hits when you only weigh 110 lbs.

none yet! Although I'm thinking of changing the tires for something a little beefier.

Just came back from the bike park at Whistler. I got some big air, rode the downhill course and the bike never failed me. The suspension was firm and easily soaked up the hits. Most of what I ride is slower technical trails with lots of roots and rocks and the fuel is great on the climbs and the descents. I just hope I don't run into any of the problems the guys have had with this bike!

Similar Products Used: Used to ride a hammer race hardtail. I couldn't find another full suspension bike that fit a girl as well. Most of them don't have nearly enough standover (hint hint).
Maureen Maillard   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2002]
Strength:

Great front fork and back shock. This is my first full suspension, I love it! This bike climbs great and so far is good at the downhills too. Looks cool and the sizing so far seems great and I am no "little" woman (5'6" and 150). Good components for the price, shifters seem to be a bit fussy and have needed frequent adjusting (but it is new).

I had a HUGE issue with the loudest creaking ever! I had all things tightened that could be tightened and it did not help. The store finally discovered that it was a reinforcement sleeve inside the down tube that had come loose. The remedy - pour white lightening down the tube...
The white lighteneing worked but the store got me a new bike and this one doesn't creak. Apparently this was an issue with last year's model - seems they should have it fixed by now? If it creaks again, I will be looking at other bikes.

Great bike for the price. So far, I would highly recommend it. Now that the creaking is gone, it is a fun ride! I would receommend spening a lot of time comparing the women's specific to the men's in length to make sure the sizing is right. I am still unsure that I got the right height (18") for me. You really have to try it on the trails to be sure.

Similar Products Used: Tried the Sugar 4+, Cannondale Jeckell 500 and Specialized Stumpjumper. My last bike was an old heavy Iron Horse Rigid. :-)