Trek 2000 Y3 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Robert   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

Nice Ride (Sans Rock Shox POS), Good Value, LX rear Bontaranger Rims and Tires. Frame is a fantastic design. Great for freeride. Dosent climb as well as the newer multilink XC bikes but the Uni-link Y frame would eat them for lunch on the downhills because of the plusher, longer travel, more predictable suspension. Uni-Link easier to maintain. Fox Vanilla is a decent shock.

Front Fork? What Front Fork?, Shimano Knockoff Parts. Dosent Climb as well as multilink counterparts.

Just upgrade the front fork and you're golden. The Ride Quality and handling increased expotentially with the discardment of the Jett C POS. Before I got rid of the Jett's I was all over the place on technical sections. I was afraid to go fast because the front end would jarr my teeth loose. With the SX-R speed on technical decents increased to the point that necessitated me to invest in some Hayes.

Front brakes were not bad, they wore quickly and lacked the at speed stopping power of discs or better quality V's. They are basicly LX knockoffs with cheap levers.

The Front and Rear hubs have given me no problems yet, they seem to be pretty durable. They are Alivio Knockoffs, verabatim in the mechanical aspect, except the rear pawls click louder than genuine alivios.

Genuine Shimano Drivetrain shifts well.

Similar Products Used: Trek 850, GT Rebound, GT I drive.
Dave   Weekend Warrior [May 10, 2001]
Strength:

solid frame, handles well,

This bike kicks arse. I bought it from a rental shop in Killington (not one located on the mountain) and recommend this as the best way to get the most for your money. Bikes from the right shops are well maintained and usually get ridden by people who don't have the ability to beat on them., so other than a few scrathes, the bike is perfect. I actually use it to commute to work in the city (9.5 miles round trip), and for a full susp bike this thing just loves the road. I threw on some street slicks which make all the difference, and the bike rides like a crotch rocket. This is my first full susp bike and I had worried about the bobbing thing, but I set the susp as stiff as it would go and can go up hills and crank in the flats without losing much efficiency. You just have to figure out where the bike likes you to be. Also, I have been off road a few times with this bike and it is very stable. The front shocks are a little soft, but as long as you aren't dropping big hits all day they do the trick. Overall, I recommend this bike, and more specifically recommend Trek. They just know how to make a bike that can take a beating and not get all loose.

Similar Products Used: '96 trek with front susp
doug buckles   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 2000]
Strength:

this bike is really good in my point of view but this is my first racing bike.

the seat doesn't go as high as i would like it. Plus when you pedal standing up the back shock goes up and down and up and down.

This bike is good for just out riding about 20 to 30 miles a day, as of racing it I do not know because i am not done with my training yet.the only problem i have seen with the bike is that the seat post doesn't go up very high because of the back shock.
the main reson that I got this bike is because the local trails here are pretty bouncy and because the bike is FS it makes you feal like you are riding on water.

Similar Products Used: none
jeff   Cross Country Rider [Nov 01, 2000]
Strength:

great allround entry level fs

heavy

great bike that takes great abuse, but you wont win any races on it, could have better crank and front shocks

Similar Products Used: gt xcr 5000
Josh   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2000]
Strength:

Great bike for the price, aluminum frame, plush feel on both road and trail.

Some weak components for a higher priced Trek, but keeping in mind that this is Trek's entry model full suspension bike. For those who are serious bikers, which I'm not, it's quite heavy (30 lbs.). I was rather disappointed in the no-name brake setup.

This is a step up for me as I was riding a Jamis Durango AL. This is my second year of riding and I decided to do more trail than I thought. I still didn't want to spend a whole lot of money so $600-$800 was my price range. I was just looking into a front fork bike which is why I tried the Fisher and the Specialized. I saw the Y3 one day in my local bike store and decided to try it as well. Needless to say, I liked quite a bit. Most components were a step up for me, and I wanted rapid fire shift. I've read alot of bad press on the Rock Shox Jett but for me, it seems fine. Low maintenance, seems to do the job. Perhaps with more experience and more riding, I might change my tune. What's great about this bike is the upgradeability. The frame is awesome in my opinion and the possibility of components are endless. As I stated above, I'm quite disappointed with the brake setup. I've already replaced the junky stock generic brake levers with Sram 7.0's. What an improvement. I'll probably be changing the brakes next, probably to Avids. As time wears on, I might upgrade more components but right now to me, the way I have it setup now is fine.