Trek 2000 STP 200 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy Race, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

Casey   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2002]
Strength:

Frame. Front fork (yes, I like COIL vs AIR). Wheels.

Component selection(but why cry about that?)

Great bike. One person said that I should feel guilty if I found it for $1200 and not buy it... after going to MANY biks store, none would match the price.... I bought it... I don't feel guilty. Great bike... coming from a Klein hardtail, my back had enough wear&tear on it... this thing just sails.

(BTW I am a 6'4" guy and weigh in at 270# and it is still solid as a rock on the trail)

Similar Products Used: 94 Trek 930. 96 Klein Pulse
Kurt   Racer [Nov 11, 2002]
Strength:

Weight of FRAME

mmmm, just about everything, the frame flexes way too much from side to side, and the fork cannot be adjusted and weighs a metric buttload, components are not too nice for what MSRP is, i worked at a shop, so i got a deal. THE WHEELS ARE TRASH

Buy it if you weigh 115lbs, and ride on sunday afternoon, I used it to commute for a while, and now race cross on it, and its too flexy in the bb and the wheels are a waste of money. I assume that everyone else hasnt ridden theirs for very long, cuz i've had a terrible experience.

Similar Products Used: 4900 Disc, trek 940
Jacob Roufs   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2001]
Strength:

Light. Fast. Comfortable. Great climber. Beautiful Paint Job. Judy Race is nice. Avid brakes. LX levers. Rolf wheels.

Too many decals on the frame. Some of the components are questionable. Handlebars, seat, and seatpost were nothing special, so I've replaced them with lighter and more comfortable components. Icon cranks will do the job for now until I upgrade to shimano.

A great bike for cross country single tracking. Eats up the hills. Rear shock takes off SOME of the edge on the downhill. Judy race is a nice rugged shock. I can ride this bike all day. The rear sid dual air seems to be working well despite the fact that the rebound adjuster knob broke off. It seems like a shorter knob would be a good idea? For the money, I don't think you can find a better cross country frame. Anyone into cross country riding who will baby their bike and not break it should be happy with this bike. This is not a full suspension bike.

Similar Products Used: 95'Trek 850 no suspension, 01' Trek 7500fx(hybrid). Test rode the 8000, 8500, and Paragon.
Dave   Racer [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

I think this bike is probably the best unknown value out there. The first time I demo'd this think I knew right awat I had to have one. It climbs like a caffinated squirrel and the rear has just enough travel to really take the edge off. I love this bike and the carbon frame damps the high freqency stuff but still feels lively. I don't know what Trek did with this thing but I'm supprised the STP line hasn't caught on more with racers.

As mentioned before the finish can chip easy but it's easily avoided by putting a clear protector kit on. Component group isn't great but it lessens the cost of a great frame. Gotta put grip tape on the drive side chainstay because when the chain hits it the thing sounds like a tree snapping.

Awesome Bike. It's too bad Trek will only offer the high dollar version next year because if more people could afford it more people would buy it.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed Uncoi, Moots softtail, DeKerf
Andrzej M.   Weekend Warrior [Nov 19, 2001]
Strength:

Return on Investment is huge considering the stellar price I got it for. It handles well, exspecially for urban assualts into the city as well as on rutted trails. BIG BIG FAN of the ride.

Some components could be better but the small increase in performance I think is negligable.

This bike is extremely affordable considering the gains of a soft tail. If you can get the bike for less than $1200 you should feel guilty if you don't buy it. Some of you gear snobs may snicker at some of the components but most of us riders (93% of us) probably wouldn't be able to tell.

RIDE HARD.

Similar Products Used: Old P.O.S. moutain bike that weighed about as much as my old Buick.
JiM   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2001]
Strength:

Frame. Fork. Component Spec.

The bike is great. I now have had this bike for over a year. I have only replaced the grips and saddle so far, as with adding bar-ends. I ride my bike hard and always come back with mud and crap all over the bike. I leave and ride for 12 hours straight some days and the bike holds up great. I always take care of the bike, clean and lube it and alawys keep it in top notch shape. I have 5,000 miles (maybe more) on the bike split pretty much even between the road and trail. I ride the heck out of it and it always has lasted. I have done three races on the bike so far and placed 1,2,2 in the races. Great bike by TREK and have not broken anything yet.

Similar Products Used: Lots of hardtails. Many duallies.
Luis Ortiz   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2001]
Strength:

Simplicity & eficiency.This thing has just enough "travel" to mute the roughness and conserve energy.great handler as well.Good looks is a plus.No BOB or monkey motion.This is a hardtail for the inteligent rider...

You can feel the frame flex on steep hills on the road,but on the trail(where it counts) you dont feel it.I'm afraid of that thing breaking on me at the worst moment,ie. during a hard G-out.Carbon fiber doesn't bend,it breaks...

The bottom line is this frame(I just bought the frame) really helps to go from point A to B in a hurry.Climbs better than a true hardtail because it tracks the terrain better in technical climbs,its the lightest suspended frame bare none(3.6 lbs).On the flats you can keep putting watts to the cranks where the hardtail will spit you off and it will go down just as good as the pilot will.I dont see why this bike(or frameset) hasn't get the attention it deserves cause it is truly an amazing piece of equipment.Just dont think of it as a dualie,its more of a hardtail with the "treble" knob closed.The best benefit that I observed was that I was finishing the races feeling that I can do a lap more...

Similar Products Used: Other Trek hardtails,7000,8500...
Dan   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2001]
Strength:

Light, strong, wheelset, lifetime warranty on frame from Trek, looks,

Price & components

The bottom line is that i just plain love my bike..The price may have been steeper than what i was looking to pay when i planned on buying a bike, but it has been worth it. I tried out many hardtails and true fs bikes and came to the conslusion that hardtails are great, but i wanted somthing more comfortable. All the fs bikes i rode around the street were like driving a cooshy caddilac that bounces and squishes on bumps(not the kind of controll i want).. my opinion of those might be different if i took it up on the mtns but the STP was right in the middle and really fit the bill for me. I just had my first big stack on it and the bike took the fall like a champ. If you really love ht bikes and want a little more comfort with the same or even more controll, then this is the bike for you.

Similar Products Used: specialized and trek hardtails
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2000]
Strength:

Frame is strong, reasonably stiff, and takes the edge off without any bob or squishy feeling.

Like everyone else -- components could be a notch better. Low bottom bracket makes some obstacles more challenging.

This is a great XC bike. It performs best on less technical singletrack/XC. It is obviously not a freeride or downhill bike, but can handle most conditions other than extreme downhill/technical riding. With the right tires, it rides very well on the road. The magazine reviews are right in that it is very quick handling and I would definitely take it easy until used to it. The frame is strong -- I speared a tree dead-on after losing it on wet leaves. Wood was embedded in the stem bolts, but the frame was perfect. I weigh ~215 lbs. and find the bike to be plenty stiff, with only very slight flex at the bottom bracket when cranking out of the saddle. For its intended purpose (and with some component upgrades), this is definitely a five chili bike.