Trek 1999 Y3 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Trek Y3, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett C, 1.8" travel fork

jarvee4   Cross Country Rider [Jan 25, 2013]
Strength:

this bike has not let me down

i have changed the forks

i want rid of my trusty y3 but dont no were to sell it any one got any ideas

Ray Stetler   Weekend Warrior [Dec 17, 2003]
Strength:

Frame strength and design. I have pounded the hell out of this thing and I couldn't break it.

Stock fork, shock, cassett, and brakes. It would be better to just buy the frame.

I got this bike because a friend of mine wanted one of my boards but he didn't have any cash so I took the Y3 in trade. When I first got it I hated the thing. I am 6'2" and weigh 210. The suspension couldn't handle it. I did everything I could to trash it but the FN thing wouldn't break. I took it to a skate park and rode it on the half-pipe (not recommended), I rode it (more like tumbled with it) down Diamond Head, and all that broke was my helmet (compliments of the half-pipe). After a few months I decided to put some money into it and see if it had any real potential. I reequipped it with Hayes disks, Fox rear shock, Manitou fork, Shimano XTR cassette, and a bunch of other goodies. I must say, you put about $4,000 into the Y3 and you will have a damn good MB/DHB.

Similar Products Used: Marin FS
Ken   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2001]
Strength:

good frame,

shock!!! pedals and bars were the only problem

This is agreat bike if you are willing to put money into improving some of the components.

the only real problems i had were falty tubes and the pedals
but they were replaced instantly

the rock shox pyslo is Nuts i go of 5-8 footdrops and they just don't bottom out. The one time the did i nose dived of a ten foot gap i had built.

Buy this bike if you don't care about wieght the xc people who had test this bike had to be nuts it is definentily not lite and the bobbing makes it very non xc able

Similar Products Used: None
joe d   Weekend Warrior [May 08, 2007]
Strength:

The frame is the best strength of the bike

front and rear shock, all components

I had this bike for 9 years and changed everything on the bike. I have a new cannondale but I prefer to ride my y3. I get compliments all the time on this bike I guess becuase it looks like an Italian bike because the frame is red, tires are green, seat is white. This bike kicks ass

Zak   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2007]
Strength:

frame

worst fork on the face of the earth....

For the price, it's an incredible bike except for the front fork. It is terrible. When you buy this bike, expect to add on $150-300 to the price for a decent front fork. Other than that, its good. The frame is wicked strong and can handle a lot.
So it starts with 5 chilis but -1 for the fork.

Zak   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2007]
Strength:

frame

worst fork on the face of the earth....

So it starts with 5 chilis but -1 for the fork.

Paul   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2001]
Strength:

Good price for an entry-level FS

stock components

Bought it used for a decent price last year, but cashed in on the upgrades. I ordered about another $400 in parts from a very popular mail order place (not to be named here). To make a long story short, they screwed up the order (like they so reliably do) but this time in my favor. I got the whole shipment/upgrade for free.

I've been riding the bike for two seasons now and its been awesome. I tossed the stock parts immediately. With the changes, I've had no complaints yet except for the XT cassette that is as durable as a turd. Next year I want to upgrade the shocks... maybe I can cut another deal. :)

I'm sure there are better, more energy efficient fs frames out there. But I find as long as I keep my butt on the seat, there really is no bobbing or energy loss.

I recommend the bike to those who are looking to get into the fs scene. It's not worth the msrp, but used it can be a good deal.