Trek 1999 Y SL 300 Full Suspension Bike

Trek 1999 Y SL 300 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Trek Y SL 300, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 2.5" travel fork

[May 12, 2008]
James Ronsons

Strength:

Very easy to ride, feels strong and sturdy, looks great...actually it turned heads when riding down the road.

This Trek YSL300 model had been out to the market for like 9 years already I believe. I bought it online, like 3 years ago. I think the previous owner said he had it for like 4-5 years from new, so it added up the bike's age around 8 I guess.

It's still running, so it has a lots of strengths.

I paid $2500, because the previous owner added a lot of components on it. Carbon wheels, handle bar, seat post; XTR, Manitou front. etc.

The bike is just looks really with everything together.

It's difficult to find the original sticker for the bike. They worn out, and I want to change them.

There aren't many of the Trek YSL300 out there, so it's quite rare. Because at the time, when the bike came out; it was very expensive.

So, not many could pay for it.

If you can get hold of one, you should definitely get it and give it a try.

Somehow other Trek Y designs are not quite the same as the YSL 300, not as hot. They are from the same company, but I think the YSL300 is the best Y they have ever produce.

[Aug 21, 2006]
Kip

Strength:

Comparably equiped rivals still fall short after all these years. Buy it if you like sticking with it for a meaningful stretch, cause it will grow on you, and serve you VERY well indeed once you dial it in to your likings, all the while easily upgraded to keep up with industry

Was phased out due to copy-cats muddying the water. Don't buy it if you are thin skinned, it has been around for a LONG LONG time, and as such has amassed more than its fair share of the bandwagon haters.

An exerpt from http://www.users.bigpond.com/cool386/trek/trek.htm reads;
"The models in the initial OCLV Y frame series were the Y50 (pronounced Y Five-0),Y33, Y22, and Y11. The Y33 was intially the top of the range bike but was overtaken by the Y50 in 1997. All these models used the same frame and differed only in the body graphics and components fitted. The Y50 did not appear with the new frame in 1998. Instead, the "Y Superlite", YSL200, and YSL300 appeared to take its place and were then the top of the range. The URT for all these models was 6061 aluminium. The 1995-1997 URT's are made of rectangular section tubing, with a replaceable derailleur hanger for the 1997 models. With the new frame in 1998, the URT was now made of oval section tubing, also with a replaceable derailleur hanger. The URT's are interchangeable and some of the new style frames were fitted with the older URT's. Note that the Gary Fisher Joshua uses the same URT. Hardly suprising as Gary Fisher is owned by Trek.'

The last line is nice to know, since quality begats quality. Never mind those who bash Trek in favor of Fisher, or visa-versa.

Anything worth having usually benefits from upgrades and personalization... the most significant upgrade on any OCLV Y frame Trek IMHO, is addressing the slight tendency of bobbing when ridden very hard,(overstated by opponents). Several companies make rear shocks that mimic a hard-tail with just the throw of a lever, instantly affording uphill grunt with no bobbing efficiency issues. That is an upgrade I might make someday, as I have tried similarly equiped MTN bikes, but for now I don't sense the need for the complexity of another cable. Perhaps the hours of dialing in my current shock, resulted in serendipitous function. Who knows? After 20 years of humping packs and drag-bags up Sheep-Sh*t Hill, and Mt Mutha-F****r in the Marine Corps infantry, maybe a little suspension glitch on a 21 pound MTN bike seems trivial at best. Sure beats combat boots and fingernails to reach the top. Whatever you ride, be glad you're free to ride it when ever you like. Semper-Fi.

Raleigh

[Sep 13, 2001]
Nathan

Strength:

absolute sexiest machine around, this bike will turn heads. if i only had a buck for every compliment i'd buy 10 more

no damping adjustment on rear shock

This bike is the daddy of all bikes. Sure it bobs a little, but nothing a good spin wont fix. decends great. Im always a little sketchy with all the busted frame tales ive heard , but ive hucked 5 foot drops with no problem. Oh yea and this is the only bike made that will pick up chicks. Some people have fast cars or money, but I got my Y enough said

haro escape, jamis dakar, c-dale killer v

[Nov 07, 2001]
lee

Strength:

it is super light weight , is a full suspension bike that can be transformed into a hard tail with just a light push of a lever.

the bike is so light that i had a little bit of trouble controling it

Although quite an old model i elieve that this is the best bike i have ever tried!! it has never given me any problems!!one billion thumbs up for trek ysl 300!!!!

trek cycling shorts, rst,limar helmet,giant bmx bike aleoca bike (it sux!!!!!1the worls worst bike !! stupid *downhill*fork has only 10 mm !!10mm!!!10 not 100 of travel!!

[Nov 11, 2001]
john

Strength:

light weight , cool looks , good off road capibilities

i love this bike ! its sweet!

[Sep 18, 2000]
alan

Strength:

Looked pretty when new, was state of the art at one time (1995).

Made by Trek, piss poor warrenty service and backing, antiquated design, constant failures, need I go on.

The Y bike was great in 95 when it first came out, but has quickly fallen behind other designs. If I had a dollar for every broken Y bike I've heard of and seen, (counting two of my own) of I could afford to get rid of my POS and get a better bike, or maybe even own a bike company. Be careful of giving Trek too much praise for their warrenty, how many of you received a second y bike in return only to break it in a couple of months, and good luck trying to get anything else out of them. Bottom line is I weigh 140, and ride XC, and I cannot trust the design anymore as it almost sent me to the hospital twice. Thanks for the quality and customer service trek, my current one wears a big "sucks" decal after the trek name and I have the reasons to back it up. Thankfully five years of being a bike mechanic give me some clout in steering people away from this design and Trek altogether, unfortunately our shop still sells them (only to suckers).

y-22

[Jul 22, 1999]
robert
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

bombproof*,great xc compromise, choad saver

on the short side, rear hanger is like butter.
i'm riding a symphony orchestra

i own the y-33, so i know that the new y series has a longer cockpit and a beefier hanger. however on my bike the hanger gets tweaked everytime i eat it, which is often. i've written trek about it but haven't heard back yet. gee, maybe they'll give me a new frame.other than that, i feel that it's a pretty nice compromise between a hardtail and a pure downhill pig. it gives me better control going downhill than a hardtail and climbs better (i'm guessing) than a downhill specific or freeride pig.
to top it all off, my choad is still sparkley fresh after 4 hours in the saddle while by hardtail buddies are shoving ice down their shorts.what's up with all the fuss about urt or active suspension? looking for the holy grail? lighten up you boneheads, if you really dig one system over the other, buy it, and stop your whining.

[May 04, 1999]
bill
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

light, responsive,
durable

chris the crackhead
who probably tried to screw a trek shop and lost

If you can afford it and want one of best, do it.

cannondale,giant,

[Jan 12, 2001]
John Vitsur

Strength:

Ahead of time design! A bold attempt at using a new material in bike design (Carbon Fiber). Fore-runner of other URT concepts. Simple! Very plush ride. 4" travel. Introduced Lock-out shocks. Great Warranty. The Coolest, Sexiest design to date.

They lied, it is not totally active. It does bob when hammering. It does break! The design is not well understood. Yes, now outdated, but still very ridable for the masses.

After reading all of the above reviews, I felt a totally unbiased review was in order. Most people either loved the Y-Bike, or hated it. Myself, I love my Y-Bike, but will buy something different this year (Not just because they are not available). Trek made a bold statement when they introduced this design, and put a lot on the line to prove this new wave in technology (Carbon Fiber). They didn't totally fail, and as a result, other companies were able to avoid those pitfalls while Trek is still paying for it in their continuing warrantees. I am riding my third frame. Carbon fiber is now being used in many components by other manufacturers. Some respect for Trek's effort is in order!
The Trek Y-Bike though troubled, is still around today and going strong. I still ride mine and now have another. They probably will be worth some money one day. (Did any of you think of that?) When several bikes are hanging of the rear of my Jeep, the Y-Bike still gets all the nods. It is still the coolest look!
Finally, let me tell you that all bike companies lie. They all claim: Totally Active, No Bob, 4" plus travel, and so on and so forth! Today, all designs that have claims of active suspension have also reduced travel to accomplish this. My new bike, whatever it might be, will have full travel and probably require a Lock-out shock to make it work. Few riders have experienced not just the lock-out feature, but the on the fly compression dampening you get to tune in any ride, cross-country, or mild off-road terrain. Also, active bikes will absorb much of your energy when you pull up on the front to clear logs (something again never talked about), added compression dampening transfers that energy into a front wheel lift or Wheelie. It should be standard equipment on any bike. They all need it.
My problem with the Y-Bike lies in the instability of the rear triangle. It simply wags too much! None of that was mentioned in the above reviews. On bumpy turns, the rear will bump-steer the bike around corners, causing rider over-control to compensate. My next frame will resolve that, but will certainly have a Lock-Out Shock! My freind's Intense Uzzi needs this in the worst way! It's very Plush and Full of Bob!
In summary, you shouldn't buy this bike because you can't. It is no longer available, but if you find a used one, you will be happy with it, but you will void of warrantee from Trek.
A definate Classic!

GT Zascar, Intense Uzzi, Schwinn Sweet Spot, Specialized FSR

[Nov 29, 2000]
Eric Larson

Strength:

Light, sharp looks, suspension design, Trek backing

Suspension design

After reading the reviews on this bike I have found myself disgusted due to the ignorance and narrow minded punks that try and make everyone else miserable. Look, if someone enjoys their ride (or any other activity or product) don't diss them for so just because you do not. If you don't care for the product, plead your case and move on. I will have more respect for a person who does so than some punk telling me that I'm a wannabe for being interested in something. Mountain biking is about getting out and having a blast and enjoying a certain comradery that most bikers share. To understand what I'm talking about, go check out a local race.

As for the bike, I have riden a friend of mines and found it to be a solid ride. Yes, the shocks pressure was high, and I found that fine for I prefer hardtails. The bike excelled in fast, tight turns and and provided just enough travel on rutted trails to make the ride a little more pleasurable. Climbs were no problem due to the lockout.
With the air pressure low the bike is a po-go stick. I was on a 40 mile plus ride when I screwed with the air pressure. I finished the ride with the lockout engaged.
If set up correctly this bike excells as a XC racing bike that that takes advantage of some of suspensions characteristics. If you are looking for a bike that will give you a solid active feel (that you get with linkage) forget this bike, you will regret buying it.
I plan on purchasing an STP 400 soon, but if anybody is willing to get rid of their YSL in an XL frame, I would be more than happy to purchase it from you!!!

Trek STP 400, Specialized FSR, Trek VRX 300