Trek 1999 Y SL 200 Full Suspension Bike

Trek 1999 Y SL 200 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Trek Y SL 200, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

[Sep 28, 2001]
ricochet95

Strength:

i'm a 235lb rider and no frame breaks yet very responsive.light whole bike is 24.6 and very fast

rear swing arm......400 to replace they did add a rear derailuer drop out. not disc compatiable or a chance for more travel...........being outdated.............

great bike if you thrash, wanna take 4ft drops jump stuff ride down huge drops can handle what alot of newer bikes are made for......alot of people can't belive i haven,t broken it yet always get stares when riding even when in shamble condition............if you wanna do 6ft plus drops then this bike not for you........but if ya wanna have a mini north shore adventure slighty scaled down then saddle up biiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaat@@@hhhh cause this is da shiz nit.. i give this bike a thumbs up in da value dept i bought mine slightly used and have rode this thing through hell and back..and it keeps on a comin.........getting new bike only cause the rear arm situation plus disc will end up being half of a newer full suspen with disc's grrrrrrrrrrrr.......will keepp it as a 2nd ride for when i'm cruise with the misses and use my kona with the boys

[May 27, 2000]
Tom Doyle

Strength:

Carbon frame, Rolf Dolomite weelset (sweet!), decent climber, bombs pretty good on decents (for an XC bike), well balanced.

Rock Shox SID dual air (front & rear) air shocks. I've had the bike 6 months, and already I cannot get the shocks to hold any air pressure for more than 24 hours. The bike is currently in the shop. It still remains to be seen weather the Rock Shox warranty folks do right by me or not.

I really do love the bike. It is my first full suspension purchase, and I try to split ride time between it and my hardtail (99' Gary Fisher Paragon). This problem with the Rock Shox is really making me ill, however. Outside of the fact that the suspension cannot hold a steady air pressure for more than a couple of days, I really have had trouble fine tuning it ever since I have owned the bike. Just when I thought I had it dialed, I had to put it in the shop. Of all of the other bikes listed above that I tested, this one seemed to have the most stable ride. I especially love out of the saddle climbs. The lateral stiffness of the carbon frame translates into more power to the pedals. I know this bike wouldn't win many races if I did race it, but for XC riding 3-4 times a week you can really beat it up and feel good about the money you spent! I picked mine up at an end of year sale for $1,999.00. For that I will give it 4 chilis in the value category. 3 chilis overall due to the Rock Shox disappointment.

Gary Fisher Sugar 3 & 2 (tested)
Klein Mantra (tested)
Gary Fisher Joshua F1 (tested)
Gary Fisher Level Betty (tested)

[Nov 29, 2000]
Andy

Strength:

Light weight, nimble, nice component package

"springy" suspension, average lateral stifness, price

When I first purchased my YSL 200 I was happy, very happy. The bike was as fun to ride as it was to look at. After a few weeks I had to trade in that hard to adjust SID shock for a more reliable Stratos XC Pro. Having done that I was able to set -up the rear suspension to suit my aggressive style. Climbing with this bike was a hand full previous to the nes shock. The frame is great for off road riding and racing. I have done a few races and cna see that in my class a top 5 finish or even getting on the podium is possible. I am about to trade in that SID fork for a Marzocchi ASAP. No offense to Rock Shox, but there product is hard to dial in and maintenance is non exsistent if you don't have the tools or time. Overall I'm happy with the outcome of owning this bike, but if I could just get that Foes I rode, LOL!

Foes, FXC, Specialized FSC

[Nov 26, 2000]
Stuart Scott

Strength:

Looks, Weight, COnstruction

Price

This is my second Y frame. The only reason I got rid of the first was because it was too small for me. I have got to give these frames credit, i weigh about 235lbs and I am 6'2". The Large frame has given me the best ride I have had lately. This bike has been abused by previous riders, it has scratches, also what looks to be carbon stretches, however hasn't let me down yet. I have taken this frame off Steps numbering in the 6's and 8's, and not even a flex. The bike was going to be a racer for me this season but I decided to go hardtail. It is Lighter then most full suspension bikes, Sexier, and not as common. These bikes are dying out because they are getting harder and harder to find.

The bottom line: This bike is still a great fighter, and a very comfortable ride to 1st place. You will not be unhappy if you choose a Y frame. I even have LX parts on it and it still does it's job!

Trek Y22, Trek 8000, Trek 9.9 Pro, Trek STP.

[Nov 18, 2000]
Hans Whipple

Strength:

Nice components, Fairly light full suspender, Lock out rear shock

Frame tends to sing (hollow & noisy), rear suspension bob on hills when not locked out

My first full suspension mountain bike. I've ridden for two full years now and has been a very durable cycle. I was spoiled though when riding a Fisher Sugar in Moab for a week. I really like how the passive rear suspension worked on the up hills while pedaling. I'm used to locking out and going rigid and seem to lose a little traction compared to the Sugar. I've been sold on the newer technology full suspension rides and am looking to purchase the new Fuel. What I've been told from the local guys that went out to WI for test rides this bike is nice! The Y has been a nice ride for me (well balanced,quick) and don't want to discourage anyone from owning it. I just think it is a little outdated now with the newer class of bike coming out.

Gary Fisher Sugar(Nice)

[May 09, 2000]
Brian Winkler

Strength:

Frame, Wheels

Clear coat

I have riden this bike with my girlfriend on the local paved trails and with my buddys on some great xcountry stuff. The bike has been perfect (after I got it setup right). The price was real good for the products you rec. I could no be happier.

Specialized, GT, Schwinn

[Apr 30, 2000]
erik

Strength:

single pivot low maintenance design....fully active very plush

inefficient single pivot, low-tech design..... too plush basically a lazyboy barcolounger with wheels... loooking for a comfy bike that will never see dirt this is it.....

with this frame design there will be no podium finishes, but then not all are racers....... this bike will give you comfort without the upkeep of a four-bar design..... just not the performance...

[Apr 30, 2000]
Brian Brown

Strength:

Carbon Fiber is really light compared to Aluminum. Good all around bike

Flexy

I bought an original Y-50 with the cool paint job. I had lots of trouble with the shock and learned the rear end was welded crooked, putting torque on the shock. No problem after two whole months I had the newer design frame. It would have been much faster had they been able to get a rear triangle that was not welded improperly like my original. After the third one the LBS said they got one. Now when I ride I have noticed just how bad the frame flexes at the bottom bracket. If you own one of these I highly recomend getting the frame checked for straightness. The bike shop figure with the same problem in a couple of the triangles it may have originated in the jig at Trek. I still enjoy it but not like I used to, but it is a great all around bike.

Test ridden several set ups

[Oct 29, 1999]
Paul Maupin

Strength:

Supper smooth ride, Light, and Strong

None Yet

This bike is absolutely awesome. Trek has put a great assortment of components on the bike. The only weekness if any is the Rock Shox fork, simple exchange though, put a Marzocchi on it. The YSL 200 is the perfect bike for some people. If you don't like the bike quit dogging it, no one is forcing you to ride it. But for me it is the Sweetest bike.

Schwinn 4 banger
Trek VRX 500

[Aug 11, 1999]
Baloneyroll
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

light, stiff, soaks up bumps

mild biopacing

Jubbi's a dumba$$. Try owning the bike and riding it under all conditions for several years, dip$hit. Design has flaws, bu tthey all do. Works great as an all-around bike. Biopacing is minimal if you know what you're doing. Look at the avg rating - do you really think there'd be so many good reviews if the bike was that bad? Give the bike a serious demo and if you don't like it, don't buy it. 5 piles.

Too many to list