Trek 1999 VRX 500 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Trek VRX 500, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 4.0" travel fork

yamablast3r   Downhiller [May 07, 2009]
Strength:

fantastic bike all around

this bike is sick i love it
bought the frame n shocks at garage sale for 100bucks best 100 i ever spent in my life,

its not your average mountain bike its made by professionals for professionals VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!

if you buy this biek you will NOT be disapointed i promise if you are you must have VERY VERY high standards

ENJOY

Ryan   Racer [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

Versital solid frame design,looks cool

weight, too heavey for cross country, too heavey for hill climbing

this is a great bike for the weekend warrior who wants to do a little of everything, but may be too heavy for some cross country expeditions

Similar Products Used: N/A
dOc   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2003]
Strength:

Looks nice, the feel of this bike is great (fits me well @ 6'-1, 180), nice..durable component set, wheels have yet to be trued after lot of trail/urban smaller drops,

Front shock set up for 160 lb rider (need tune kit) bottoms out too much, BB started creaking last week (after bout a year of riding all conditions), broke original chain, rear v-brake is not too good, no side bite on tires, lost screw on front deraileur while riding...threads needed to be chased

Though not the standard issue VRX500, my setup has treated me well, with no unexpected problems other than the fork setup taht i have yet to fix...I love the feel of this frame, very stable...have yet to upgrade rear shock as well, and want to get disc brakes. I would recommend this frame to anyone looking for a mid range priced bike that is durable, since it is an older frame you can get a nice set up for less money than a newer model.

Similar Products Used: Too Many BS Dept Store bikes..., Trek 4500, Mongoose Vadium (lol)
Jorge Biggemann   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 1999]
Strength:

La amortiguacion es muy buena y responde muy bien, el diseno de la bicicleta es espectacular, es muy comoda para ser manejada

No logro que el amortiguador trasero tenga la fuerza suficiente para dar traccion a la llanta en subidas muy pronunciadas

Si alguien sabe como corregir el problema de la traccion de la llanta trasera en una subida muy pronunciada, escribame por favor.

Similar Products Used: Trek Y-5
Donnie   Weekend Warrior [Feb 23, 2001]
Strength:

Factory components aloow amature riders to make many mistakes and still make it through in one piece (more or less).

factory tires and brakes.

I love this bike, just look at, no matter where I go or what I do, people stop and check it out. As far as the performance of the bike is concerned I am extremely satisfied with it with two notable exceptions. First, the factory tires, within the first 2 months of "non-extreme" use the side wall of the front tire gave out and sent my brother flying over the handle bars. Second, the rear brakes, this bike has been in the shop not less than 5 times for the rear brake giving me trouble and it still hasn't been fixed right. The warranty is expired now so I work on the brake when it needs it. Basically what it comes down to is that I need to adjust the rear brake every time I ride. Aledgedly (according to the dealer) my VRX 500 was the first one made that was commercialy availible and as such had a problem with the way the caliper mounted to the swing arm. Supposedly the swing arm was replaced to correct this along with a slew of other adjustments and a new rear caliper. None of which worked, the swing arm if it actually was replaced(which I doubt) made no difference, the brake adjustments only lasted for one ride and the new caliper (which I know for a fact was replaced) had absolutely no impact on my brake problem. In the end, my brakes still drag and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I don't blame Hayes or Trek for my brake problems, I firmly believe that the dealer is the sole cause of the problem thankfully the management has changed and they are no longer a Trek dealer. Don't let all this complaining fool you though, I really do love this bike and would reccomend to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Y-3, Y-22, Y-33
biker   [Nov 27, 2000]
Strength:

great suspension it is avery plush bike
but the front shox got to have more travel

nothing really besides the shox that came with it

it is a great bike,
but hey
of course it is a great bike

you pay for what you get

Similar Products Used: trek vrx 400,rocky mountain reaper,gt xcr-2000
rodrigo vargas   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2000]
Strength:

good looks, great handling, comfortable , i like the equipment.

slow on the climbing, i found a little diference switching
from ac to xc but you can´t change it on the run you need to
carry your tools,that sucks, flexy rock shok sucks, should bring the darn pump for the price!!!!!!expensive bike!!!!!

i think its a nice bike, but a little useless because it has too much travel and weight for cross country and not enough travel for downhill.
but anyway i am getting used to it
my advice: test ride it before buying it, because everyone has a different style of riding

Similar Products Used: super v 700, bianchi kodiak, gt tempest, c-dale f900
Tom   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2000]
Strength:

Good mix of components, very adjustable suspension, tracks beautifully, hayes brakes are excellent, all in a great looking package.

None really - as a freeride bike.

Great freeride bike. Plush 4 inches of travel, great brakes
along with precise tracking. I find it climbs very well if you stay seated and spin. I weighed my bike at 27.5 lbs. which I guess matches the factory claim - might try to lighten it a little in the future but this isn't bad for full suspension and disc brakes. I also like the look of the VRX frame a lot, especially with the the Rolf wheels. Trek has reduced the price of the '99 VRXs, I got a great deal on mine. If you like the '99 models nows the time.