Trek 1999 VRX 300 Full Suspension Bike

Trek 1999 VRX 300 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Trek VRX 300, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.15" travel fork

[Sep 29, 2011]
Jamfjr

Strength:

Tight sense of control. A lot of confidence when on technical singletrack.

Older, so on the heavier side...

Friend gave me this bike (he bought it new in 1999). I put on some new wheels & tires and tuned it up. It is a sweet ride and can take a beating. It's a little heavy, but that makes me feel more confident during hard downhill riding. Both ends of the suspension still work really well.

Specialized StumpJumper

[Apr 29, 2010]
shaunny

Strength:

im selling trek vrx 300 open to offers

its got few marks on frame

it just had a service only thing it need was fill brake with brake fluide

used every day

[Jan 12, 2002]
Jim Hesketh

Strength:

Everything.

Nothing

I originally wrote a review three years ago when I first bought this bike. Obviously I've made some upgrades from the original equipment, but I have put this bike through hell and back, and it has NEVER let me down. I know there are a lot of great bikes out there, but if Trek was still building these VRX's like they did in 99, it would be the bike to have.

Downhills, tight singletrack, urban assault, launching off 5' loading docks, this bike does it all. If you can find one BUY IT. I'll keep this frame around for a long time, just add new parts when they wear out, or when I feel the need to buy the latest and greatest shocks!

NO other Full suspension to compare it to.

[Jul 02, 2006]
Zachary Hutchings

Strength:

I love the suspension. The breaks are heavy duty.

I had to repaint it. Now the front and back arms are yellow, is that bad?

I love this bike. I need new tires, but you know how the sizes go, it is going to be quite a trip to find a pair that i like that fits.

[Sep 21, 2001]
Gordon Ballantyne
Downhiller

Strength:

Superior handling, responsiveness to big bumps, smooth travel, no pedal feedback, must I continue...

Keep the seatpost short or out of the way of the linkage plate-one hit will break it. Other than that, none.

Since my last review, I have added a few more components to the bike to make it a beautiful downhill machine. It's scary fast on downhills and sucks up bumps amazingly. Looking back, it would've been better to buy the frame on its own and build it up, but then I wouldn't have appreciated the upgrades as much.

On another note, I feel that Trek didn't exploit these bikes to the full. Whilst the '99 bikes were great, the 2000 VRX's had crappy X-country components on them whilst still having a heavy-ish frame. Trek then surpassed themselves by not manufacturing the VRX's at all in their 2001 range, making it crap. However, their new DH bike, the Diesel, should make up for this.

Cheap crappy rigid bike, various hardtails and this bike in its original form

[Oct 21, 2003]
Jay Rothberg

Strength:

I didn't die on it, but it did get a lot of looks and compliments on its radical appearance...

Swingarm and weight. Very few Disk brakes match the setup.

Trek missed the mark with this one. My problems started immediately with a bent crankset on my first run at Blue Marsh, Pa. Limped the bike home and upgraded to all Shim Lx stuff. Later a Hayes disk in rear. The weight was a negative in climbing and the geometry made racking (Rhode Gear Tailrack) a nightmare. Later, after MAYBE 1000 miles (doubt it) the swingarm became loose in a range-of-motion aspect and a lateral aspect (Pivot wore out and the frame around it loosened if you can believe it). All around poor performance. The judy forks never quit and never wore but were heavy. I moved on as soon as I could afford to. The Frame remains in my garage (stripped) as a monument to impulsiveness.

Spec. Rock Hopper, GT Timberline, Ells Truth, Christini (Sigh), a number of others less memorable.

[Jul 29, 2001]
Alan Stout

Strength:

Frame

Decals,Brakes

This is my second review since February 2001 and as you can see I've upgraded my bike a little. The best upgrade is still the disc's if you need control get the hope's. I broke my seat post at the top where the knurled part is so I went for the Raceface post because of the looks of it.I'm 203 lbs which isn't that heavy i don't think but the trails I go on are very tough and the orginal Icon seat post couldn't take it.I'm slowly changing all the shimano stock stuff to xtr so at the year it should be quite finished.At the end of the day all bikes out there have there good and bad points so just get out there and ride. :)

cheap full sus

[Jul 15, 2001]
Lance armstrong

Strength:

tough fast built great

crankset

great bike the best in the world if you can find it you should get it

lot of suff

[Jun 25, 2001]
Down Hill
Downhiller

Strength:

It is a good downhill bike.

Trek could have put on a downhill fork,
Seat

I was lucky that I got this bike on a sale.
But you better change the frontsuspension.
I will recomend this bike for medium experienced downhillers.

[Dec 23, 2000]
mike
Downhiller

Strength:

good platform to build off of.at the time the price was very good.

bontrager tires are weak,more travel in the front end,trek's service is very up and down e.g.cracked a weld on the swing arm replaced in 2 days,teflon bushings 4 weeks
to replace(be careful not to over tighten bolts on the bushings they'll squezze out like butter)

had minor problems with noisy linkage,proper torque on bolts will eliminate creaking(especially on anchor bolts of shock)handles everything i throw at it!!even with the 5"travel fork the bike climbs great its an excelent bash bike.
ride on brothers and sisters

trek 6000