Titus 2001 Switchblade Full Suspension Bike

2001 Switchblade

• The Switchblade linkage is adjustable for 3.75 or 4.5 inches of travel.
  • The optional long travel shock/ rocker assembly allows you to get 5.7 inches of mountain leveling travel.
  • price for XT spec is $2,887

• User Reviews (45)

Bill Reasor   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2001]
    Strength:

Quick precise handling, seems durable, feels plush, climbs reasonably well without lockout, light weight, attention to detail.

Lockout is hard to get to while riding. I used a short piece of plastic hose to extend the switch for easier access. Hopefully there will be a handlebar mount lockout available soon. Don't like seat post stop. Front end is hard to keep down on steep climbs but in all fairness I'm sure that it has a lot to do with my setup.

I am overall very happy with my purchase. I set this bike up for trail riding and moderate free riding. So far It has handled everything I have thrown at it without complaint. You might be interested to know that I weigh 216 lbs.

Similar Products Used: Ellsworth Truth which I use for xc racing.
    Pat-o-Teck   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2001]
    Strength:

This bike is extremly light.FSR is just a great design

Hole's used for weilding allow dirt and water to accumulate
    in the frame.I recommend sealing them.

The bike is sweet the best I have ever rode.This bike is for
    any one who can afford to buy the very best.See you on the
    trails.

PS Kalo is the worst bike shop ever but he has great
    deals if you can wait for a year or two.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR,Truth,Heckler,Y Bike,
    Richard McKernan   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2002]
    Strength:

Fairly light, stiff.

Great bike. Demoed it locally for two days (Mt. Falcon & White Ranch), fairly decent climbs on both days. I struggled with the light front end on the climbs caused by 4 inches of travel, a bunch of stem spacers, high rise stem and bar. Since it was a demo, I couldn't mess too much with the geometry but would have liked to get the front end lower for climbing. Coming down was very sweet. Almost boring compared to a hard-tail. Front and back ends handled the small bumps of these hills very well making the ride fast and comfortable. I didn't notice the weight difference compared to my Zaskar so would recommend the bike highly to hard-tailers wanting a stiff fs bike. It is kind of expensive at about $3 1/2 with mostly XT components (and with a psylo SL to get the front end lower for climbing). I will probably get a new '99 Quasimoto (bushings!) that is $1000 less that has been sitting around the LBS for a couple of years. I can't find a demo on it but I like the 6 inches of coil-over rear end and think it may be better than the Switchblade at handling the really rough stuff. If I get it I will post a review on it too. I will be using whichever bike I get for the Keystone Xterra in July - 8 miles of climbing and 8 miles of challenging descending (even goes through 'Wild Thing')...

I really liked the light feel of the Ellsworth but too much $$$ for my budget. The RacerX is a heck of a stiff ride for an fs, but not as plush as what I want.

Similar Products Used: Demoed Ellsworth Truth, Titus RacerX/Quasimoto. Also own Bridgestone MB4 and GT All-Terra
    Scott   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2002]
    Strength:

Quality, design, fun factor

At the 24 Hrs of Moab after my teamate broke his derailleur and then rode the course with my bike he yelled "That was the best ride of my life, so f#*%$g fun!" even though before the race he was preaching against weight, pedal bob, disc brakes, tubeless, blah, blah, blah... Not anymore!

Same as other reviews... Had it setup a little light in front for climbing then switched the fork down to 105 mm which resulted in correct geometry with 4.5" rear travel. Now it climbs great and descends fast, smooth, and tight on any type of trail. I've ridden it in CO, CA, UT, & NV on jeep road, singletrack, & downhill courses. This bike is by far the best for real, fun suspension travel & handling vs. suspension that feels so stiff until you actually hit a big enough drop to compress it (i.e. Trek Fuel, Giant NRS).

I used to alway crash and get bloody and now I do longer more difficult trails faster without crashing (as much) due to the bike's forgiveness and handling resulting in much more fun.

Similar Products Used: Jekyl, Trek Fuel, Tracer, Specialized FSR, Giant NRS, SC Superlight
    Colin   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2002]
    Strength:

Incredible bike. It makes technical hard terrain much easier and it is the same for downhill. Nothing is flimsy or cheap!

It is an incredible bike as is. With Gore ride ons and the Hope mini there is is little to maintain except clean the chain and relube. The long travel is a must. The lock out mechanism on the Black super air does not work but The travel is great and smooth.

Similar Products Used: 98 KLein Mantra comp, 99 Klein mantra carbon (22.5lbs), Giant NRS, Specialized Enduro, Trek Y3, Jamis Dakkar
    Robert M   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2001]
    Strength:

Strong lightweight frame. Plush travel. Quality construction. Great looks (blue anodized frame).

Haven't found one yet.

Just got back from a road trip to Bend OR. The riding was fantastic. I cleaned sections that neither of my friends could. This bike is all that and a bag of chips. Whether you are flying off drops or rolling them they just aren't a big deal anymore. I didn't get the shock with the lockout and guess what, I don't miss it. This bike doesn't bob. You can even stand up on this puppy on fast ascents.

Similar Products Used: DEAN Bam Bam.
    Bruce   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2001]
    Strength:

Quality construction, great climbing, rear suspension, no lateral movement in rear end.

Weight was greater than expected, but stil good for this type of bike.

I screwed up getting the SID SL with this bike. My hope was to have a fully active four bar full suspension bike that weighed under 24lbs that I could do some 24 hour races on. The frame turned out to heavier than expected, I trusted a magazine review. I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere. That said...

This bike is still the greatest bike I have ever had. It rides much lighter than it's actual weight. The rear suspension is so sweet it begs for more while my SID SL just noodles around up front. You can climb anything on this bike. Worth repeating. You can climb anything on this bike. It handles tight twisty stuff as well as rough downhills (as downhill as you can get in western Michigan)stuff.

This bike is best as a trail bike. Do not make the same mistake I did. Get yourself a Switchblade, a 100mm Psylo, some disk brakes, and use the 4.5" rear travel option - then go have some fun.

The bike is incredibly well built, the welds are clean, and there is no lateral flex in the rear end. The folks at Titus were a big help helping me select a size. Bike fits perfect. You cannot have a bad time riding this bike. I have enjoyed my rides on this bike more that any other.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, Cannondale Jekyl
    David Cole   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2001]
    Strength:

Lightweight, Handling likes it is on rails, versatility.

None found yet

This bike is awesome. It handles the rough trails we ride here in NM like big ledges and rough roller rock sections, but retains the ability to climb quickly due to the geometry and light weight. This is a bike that can handle Porcupine rim full out jumping 4 foot ledges and still allows for great technical ability. The bike was built by 123 Bikes which did a great job and paid attention to all the details. The components on this bike are perfect. I have not had it long enough to rate the duarbility, but by the looks and feel of things, it should be flawless. Go buy this bike if you are a hardcore trail rider !!

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar, rented a Intense Tracer.
    Dave   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2001]
    Strength:

lite-stiff-adjustable travel

none so far..maybe more selection of frame sizes

This bike climbs like a goat. Sprints like a hard tail and descends like a bobsled! I am a faster rider on this frame versus my old superV. Rock gardens and twisty single track are this bike's fun factor!
    I bought this frame sight unseen, and that was a little scary. Never thought I would do that ever! MBA issue in August gave it a great review, Beth at Speedgoat gave her stamp of approval. I knew of the advantages of the FSR and the Horst link,. The Intense tracer was another choice, and a close one. I went with 1/2" more rear travel rather than needle bearings for the Horst link.
    So far after 3 months it's been great. No issues or complaints. I ride almost every day. I was at Killington Vt. 5 days after UPS dropped the frame here. What a great time! It was not dialed in, but had the best runs ever. I recently ran a local race in the 3.75" mode. It was a very sandy course in south jersey, most riders on hardtails. The switchblade was great, just like a hardtail. I managed a strong 4th place.
    The overall build quality is excellent, all welds are perfect. The powdercoat is perfect. Even the decals can take a beating. This is not just an overpriced Specialized fsr, more like a refinement of the original design.
    I would recommend the switchblade to any trail rider,as it does everything I could wish for. 5 of them flaming things!
    NOW GET OUT AND RIDE!!