Titus 1999 Racer X AL Full Suspension Bike

1999 Titus Racer X AL, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy C, 3.15" travel fork

chris   Racer [Jan 24, 2004]
Strength:

Durability, Agility, Liveliness, and a great friend. She can be loud and annoying sometimes telling me to go faster but as soon as I get her in the big ring she starts to smile a little. Great bike in the climbs, She's a little bumpy but she hooks up real nice. Her angles are perfect for me and she has lasted a long long time for a full suspension wife. I did have a crack in the the swingarm box but titus fixed it for me. Thank you titus. The shock w/the butterfly design takes SO much stress that I am truly amazed it has lasted this long. no leaks and still as strong as the day I got her. The bearings on the other hand are being replaced tomorrow. 3000+ miles to wear out the bearings not to bad. 20 bucks.

not a plush ride. The newer ones with the x-link are much more plush. I went from an FSR to this and this was definitely not a downhill champion but it doesn't mean that you still can't smoke a pack on it.

Couldn't ask for a better race/trail bike. We now have 2 in the family as for mine I'm going to retire it from seasonal duty but I will still mount her occasionally. Great bike definitly worth the price. Thanks titus for the kick ass ride.

Similar Products Used: I've tried to ride everything I can get my hands on. And this bike w/the geometry is the king.
Eric Brock   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2001]
Strength:

Best bike I have ever ridden! It does EVERYTHING great. Best climbing bike period. Makes riding a pure joy.

NONE

Even though I got my Racer X frame for $500, it is worth the retail price and then some. This frame is simply awesome...it will make you feel like a better rider instantly.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, Giant NRS, Sugar 1
Mel   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2001]
Strength:

The geometry of this frame is awesome. It does not have a lot of travel in the rear but you don't need that much if you are a racer. It is damn sexy now that I have built it all up.

I have my dream bike all spec'd out with the best! It only costed me about $1300 to put it all together. I purchased all my equipment here on mtbr. To buy brand new it would cost about $4000 to put and spec this bike. Sure it took me awhile to get all the parts, but it was worth it. I had questions about the frame and parts to go with it and Titus always returned my emails. If you want a simple, reliable cross country full suspension design this is it. I am very pleased with my new ride!

Similar Products Used: Tried out Rocky Mountain, Cannondale and K2 full suspension bikes.
Paul Pinella   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2000]
Strength:

--Solid American craftsman, artful welds, lightweight frame, precision machining, buffed aluminum tubes, fun factor

--The rider (someday, I hope to be as good a rider as the bike deserves)

I'm new to mountain biking this season, and searched all winter long to find the right bike. (Not bad for a first bike, eh?) I took longer to make up my mind on this purchase than I did when I bought my house. Based on what I read here plus after numerous conversations with Titus (and my Texas dealer, Charles Coker) I went for the Racer X.

I'm glad I did. When I ordered this spring, the "factory" was a little backordered and it took a week or two longer to build than the original estimate (apparently the Titus folks were all at a bicycle trade show). But when it came via UPS and I opened the box, the bike was absolutely flawless. Being new to the sport, I took it out the next day and promptly crashed six times (those clipless pedals do take some getting used to). The Racer X came through my beginning abuse with nary a scratch. It's artwork but built strong like a Russian tank. I'm also happy with the component mix, including the oil-bathed front fork and Avid stoppers.

Would I be just as happy with a cheaper bike? It's hard to say. But now that it's a sunk cost, the price doesn't matter anymore. Plus, I'll be riding this bike for a long, long time.

Oh yah, be sure to order the right frame size. The small frame is a good fit for me, and I'm 5'9", 172lbs. And if you have any questions, get on the phone and call Titus. They're back from the trade show and hard at work building the best mountain bikes in the world. 5 steamin' hotdogs

Similar Products Used: Psycle Werks Wild Hare, Santa Cruz Superlight
Bart   Racer [Mar 07, 2000]
Strength:

I just raced on my new 2000 Titus Racer X-Lite AL. It is bar none the best light weight FS bike on the market. It handeled even better then last years Racer x and I barley noticed the shorter travel. It seemed to spring to life when climbing out of the saddel.

Uh like Uh well let see uh hell can't think of one weakness

The bottom line is if you are a xc racer or live in mountain terrian or like LIGHT real FS or are a hardtail racer who is thinking of checking out FS this is da bike. It is stiff when climbing(you can get this bike w/ a lock out rear shock) like you woud not believe and is a real FS bike when decending unlike some of the pivotless designs that are really hardtails.Get this no BS my bike weighs 23 pounds. And will get a touch lighter and I am 6'3"

Similar Products Used: Sana Cruz, Intense, Specialized
RJ   Cross Country Rider [Feb 29, 2000]
Strength:

Beautiful craftsmanship. Bullet-proof, proven, race winning design. Handles like my porsche and climbs like a goat

Rear brake brace clearance is too close to rear wheel- picks up leaves, twigs, etc. Cost?- you definitely get what you pay for.

I have no regrets buying this bike. It is simply awesome. Climbing, negotiating tight twisty singletrack, rock gardens, downhill, whatever, this bike excels and looks great doing it. Very light feeling, very responsive, and at my 150 lbs with the shock set correctly for sag I feel NO BOB- even on road rides. This bike is very firm under acceleration. This was important to me because I just came off of a hardtail. I looked at semi active designs like the loco moto and the superlight, but in the end, fully active won out. It is well worth it.

Plus got great customer service and a smoking deal from Charles at Hammerhead bikes (http://lonestar.texas.net/~ccoker). Where else can you get a great deal on a high end bike and have the owner take you on a test ride? Thanks Charles.

Similar Products Used: K2 Razorback, Santa Cruz Superlight, Giant NRS, Specialized FSR.
dave   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 02, 1999]
Strength:

light, stiff, fast, fun

no disc mount at present: they say they're waiting for a standard mount to evolve.

Excellent all day ride, ear to ear grin, durable, no BS, well made. But needs a disc mount.

Similar Products Used: cannondale, specialized. Did no try the intense tracer - that may or may not be a worthy alternative, and it also has compression adjustment with lockout. (Can't say I miss those features.)
Charles Coker   cross-country rider [Nov 24, 1998]

well, if you read the other reviews on the RacerX they are very accurate.
I went from a Rocky Mountain Element TO to the RacerX
I will keep this short.
this is the stiffest (frame), quickest, most nimble and best handling FS I have ever been on.
if you want a FS bike that handles like the quickest hardtail you have ever been on,
this is the one to get.
I was really skeptical about a non linkage design.
in terms of plushness, it is nearly identical to the Element TO but the frame is a _lot_
stiffer.
in short, it out corners and out climbs the Element TO
it is extremely well built and Titus has stellar customer service.
this frame _exceeded_ my (high) expectationsCharles Coker
Hammerhead Bikes
Http://lonestar.texas.net/~ccoker

clif monteith   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 09, 1999]
Strength:

*stellar workmanship is present in every weld.
*no lateral flex--one stiff ship!
*i have a ti litespeed at 20lbs -- the x kicks its ass up any hill (as long as you stay in the sadle).*this bike is well balanced (especially with a z2 bomer up frt.) it can climb like a monkey, its fast, it can descend well.

i had to use student loan money to buy it -- and i can't afford to get a quasimoto too!

the best all around trail bike. it can do it all. if you like to ride in the back counry all day and want great performance without too much of a weight penalty this is the bike. don't let the name fool you it is not just a race bike (it is a piece of art -- even if your not into aeshetics, you have to appreciate the craftmanship -- it makes you want to buy the welder and designer a brew -- feel free to contact me and i'll give you the complete low down -- viva la titus!