Specialized 2000 Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp Full Suspension Bike

Specialized 2000 Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou MARS, 3.15" travel fork

[Dec 01, 2001]
rob

Strength:

fast and smooth

bottom bracket could be higher, the main swingarm bolt kept coming loose, despite a low strength locktite. The problem was fixed with the heavy duty locktite. After a 30-to-0 endo, the fork wouldn't hold air. 3 weeks for Manitou to get it back. One of the Time pedals sprung a spring and had to be replaced.Of course the bars and seatpost need to be cut way down, and I ditched the stock rubber. Seats OK though.

A great bike, with some shakedown problems. I weigh 200#, I think the bike iw weighing 26.5#

rented a schwinn rocket for 2 days at the Gorge.

[Jan 26, 2002]
Pete

Strength:

Smooth ride, when suspension dialled in correctly. Great climber

Seat, cranks, hub bearings

This is a great bike. After owning a hard tail for 4 years this Stumpy was a great improvement. I'm a little narked at all the components I have had to replace, hubs, front derailleur (no fault of the bike), chain (shimano chain sucks) ,BB after 14 months and suspension bushings. These problems aside I have enjoyed the bike no end. The XTR/XT componentry is legendary. Once the suspension is dialled in correctly the bike is a pleasure to ride. I recently rode a 2001 Stumpy pro and in all honesty there was little difference. The secret of the suspension bushings is to keep them well lubed. The reason for replacing the bushings is a fair amount of wet muddy and then dry dusty riding conditions. All in all a great bike.

2001 Stumpy pro

[Oct 04, 2001]
Mike

Strength:

good adjustment on the front and rear shocks, easy to dial in, nice shifters, good brakes, full suspension works well for amount of travel.

noisy, need to keep suspension lubed to keep it quiet, noisy cranks too, tires too skinny; 2.1's would have been better, low bottom bracket

great bike. For all around riding, it fits the bill perfect. No bobbing on the uphills, able to handle jumps without bottoming out if setup right. The shifting is flawless and feels positive al the time. Full suspension made all the difference after riding a Specialized hardtail for 15 years. I would recommend to anyone. One downfall is the wobble in the rear if you stand on the pedals; back end, with the fully active suspension, gets "loose" after a while.
"Go over, not around!"

Specialized hardtail,

[Sep 25, 2001]
Stefano Ereno

Strength:

Rapporto qualità-prezzo, la bici è leggera e performante in salita. Prima full di un rigidista convinto, mi ha letteralmente sconvolto: basta pedalare e passa sopra a (quasi) tutto!

Le boccole del carro posteriore necessitano di manutenzione costante e attenzione alle coppie di serraggio dei fulcri, altrimenti la sospensione tende ad irrigidirsi. Il registro del rebound della Mars 2000 viene letteralmente sparato nelle affondate più violente, perché è inserito a pressione direttamente nel fodero della forcella: ne ho persi tre, poi non l'ho più rimontato (uso una chiave a brugola).

La geometria della sospensione con il giunto Horst è uno standard che moltissimi costruttori hanno copiato (a volte male) a Specialized: la sospensione è davvero sempre attiva, anche in frenata con i v-brakes. Sui fondi veloci non fa rimpiangere le front, è senz'altro la bici ideale per le granfondo.

[Sep 07, 2001]
Jerry Gentry

Strength:

Overall fit and suspension design. Lightweight, built to ride off road

the cranks

I looked at full suspension for a while and this bike really seemed to hit the mark for me. I've worked at finding the right tuning, or variations of tuning, for the different types of rides I do. The litmus test is that each time I see it in the garage I look forward to the next ride. I doubt I would go back to a hardtail again (although, the GT Avalanche is still a fantastic bike). My rear Fox shock compressed a few days ago and the bike store owner was able to unstick it. He showed me where in the Fox owners manual it talks about how to do that and explained that I probably had my rebound dampening set too high and was defeating the negative release. It all made sense. I re-read the manual and tried a different combination of compression and rebound; took it out to a rocky forest trail and was very satisfied. Besides, its red!

RockHopper, GT Avalanche

[Oct 19, 2001]
Mike

Strength:

I did a review recently but made a change to the bike I must let all of you kow about!

Rear dropout bushings; bottom bracket height; noisey cranks; bars way too wide, had to cut down; hard seat

The 2000 FSR has cheap plastix bushings in the dropouts. I bought the Mountain Speed X Factor and Dropout Bearing kit.

Anyone who owns one of these bikes has to put these two items on their bike. My biggest complaint about the bike was the very loose and sloppy back end. I swear, on hard riding, the back end would pass me up! It was all over the place. Standing on the pedals for hard cranking up hills and such only made it worse.

The MSP stuff stuff did the trick. A really good bike before; now a lot better.

Specialized hardtail

[Sep 18, 2001]
Chris

Strength:

weight, handling, climbing

stock brakes are ok but not the greatest, cranks could be better. stock tires are really hardpack-oriented, and the dirt here is a little too loose for them.

I love this bike. I should say first that I'm a relatively lightweight rider - 145 pounds, so if you weigh 200+ your mileage may vary. I got a closeout deal in February this year on a 2000 model for $1250.
I ride this bike a lot, mostly on moderately steep climbs and descents with generally bumpy, rocky terrain. I was hesitant to convert to a dualie after 12 years riding hardtails but I am really glad I did. I have the bike dialed in relatively stiff so for me it climbs like a hardtail but still takes the edge off fast, bumpy descents. My only complaints are that the brakes are a little short on modulation for extremely steep stuff - they are as good as any cable-brakes I've ever tried but if you were more downhill-oriented I think you'd want hydraulics. Also the cranks are a little flexy, but at my weight it isn't really noticable unless I immediately hop on a buddies bike which has much stiffer cranks. If I have the money I may change them next year but if not it won't be the end of the world. Otherwise, I'll leave this bike alone and just enjoy the ride. The stable handling and tremendous grip I experience with this bike has made me a much better rider this season. It is much more confidence-inspiring and capable than my previous bike (hardtail stumpjumper) over any terrain I've ridden so far.

assorted hardtails, 2001 Enduro FSR Elite

[Jul 25, 2001]
Rob Lenseth

Strength:

Everything

Handle bars bend on me with in a week but upgraded them with a downhill style and have been great every since. The tires also sux. Upgrade those

Great bike for price. Will never buy another bike for any other manufacturer. Specialized makes great bikes at fair prices

N/A

[Sep 22, 2000]
Dan

Strength:

Frame weight, 4 bar linkage rear suspension, certain components and geometry.

Handle bar, 3 spacers for headset, pedals, cranks and tires.

This is the first full suspension bike I've bought and owned. I've been riding an old Kona Kilewea for six years. Almost everything is great about it; weight, ride and most of the components. Feels great; no back pains. Light enough for full suspension, but plan to upgrade bottom bracket, crank set, head set, stem and wheels.

[Sep 14, 2000]
Greg Lee

Strength:

Less fatique on my HONKY toosh and back over longer distances, compared to my Cannondale F1000 (a nice bike).
At 100kgs (about) I expexted some flex and yep there sure
is, particularly in the rear. Overall, a ridgy didge bike.

Seat - ooa ooa!
Pedals - Scary! (These got changed to Shimanos')
Handlebar too wide, CUT, CUT, CUT...
Rear end flex at high speed - live with it!
Changed tyres to IRC Mythos (never liked specialized tyres)

The Australian Dollar is Merde! This makes for a moderately priced bike in the USA, a very expensive proposition in OZ!
Second time round? Yeah I get this bike again.

Giant