Schwinn 1999 S-30 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Schwinn S-30, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy C, 3.15" travel fork

Jill Krieger   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2015]
Strength:

This bike has been with me since 2000 and I absolutely love it. I really feel like it is a part of me when I ride it.

Seat is terrible. I let my little brother take it with him to college and his fat ass cracked the frame. I can still ride it but I would not recommend for fat ass little brothers.

I let my little brother take it with him to college for his first year and his fat ass cracked the frame. I can still ride it but I would not recommend for fat ass little brothers.

Matthew Morse   Cross Country Rider [Sep 09, 2001]
Strength:

Full Suspension. Price. Schwinn Quality.

Placement of Rear-shifter cable

Over all a Great Bike

david bridegan   Downhiller [Apr 16, 2001]
Strength:

the frame is definetly one of the strongest parts on the bike, somewhat light weight. handles fairly tight. i personally love this bike.

components, front shock is a little weak, frame does scratch easily(but thats my fault for hitting trees), tires are soft and wear quickly. needs a better seat.

bottom line this is the best bike i could have got for the money, definetly no complaints from me. you do get what you pay for, so i am very pleased.

James   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2000]
Strength:

It looks cool, and the front fork

where should i start? first of all the carbon scratches rediculusly easy, the rear shock is only active when sittinh down, the components are crap and the bike is on the heavy side for a carbon bike.

Don't buy it, it really sucks, if i wanted a bike that the rear sus. was only active when sitting i would have bought a sus. seat post. The crank and front derailer on a full sus. bike in this price range should be atleast lx or higher, instead of that cr*p they call alivo! it flexes and never shift properly. not only that i have bent my rim many times because of the suspension not taking any of the hit because i was standing up!

if your going to buy a full suspension bike go with a gt idrive or a vrx modle or something, you will be much happier!!!!!

Similar Products Used: cannondale super v's
Leann Hoelscher   Cross Country Rider [May 08, 2000]
Strength:

Versatile bike! Rides smooth

Some of the parts are a bit heavy-but that's what upgrades are for. The seat must go!

Great Full-Suspension! Sweet Spot really reduces bobbing. Nice smooth bike for the price ($650)! If you do not like the components buy the S-10 or S-20. Otherwise the frames are all the same-pick a color and decide on what options you want. The bike handles real well. Try it, it is worth it!

Similar Products Used: ~
GREG HUNGERFORD   Weekend Warrior [Sep 30, 1999]
Strength:

PRICE AND LOOKS

LITTLE HEAVY, BAD SEAT, CARBON CAN BE SCRATCHED EASILY.

Somebody wrote that this bike pogo's badly- it feels perfect to me. With what I consider to be a fully suspended rear section, it is way better than any chain bender and this one feels great going uphill in and out of the saddle. It seems to me, on any bike where the crank isn't suspended with the rear swing-arm and wheel, the thing needs a motor-period! Who wants to be strapped to their saddle in the midst of an uphill mid-gully root jump because the bike just doesn't work while standing on the pedals. For $799 at Supergo, I get middle of pack components for 1/3 less than anybody's equivalent, and excellent looks. Scwinn could have charged me much more and forced me to eat the five flaming jalepenos that this bike deserves and I still would have bought it.

Similar Products Used: FS GT WITH I-DRIVE, MONGOOSE CHEAPY, KONA FS, AND OTHERS.
Joe   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 1999]
Strength:

nice shocks, great looks

bad crank, heavy stock parts

Good bike for the price. I got it for $700 at Emery's. Parts are a little heavy, but awesome frame. Replace the crank and some others and get a perfect bike. Worth 5.

Similar Products Used: giant rincon, specialized fsr, cannondale super-v
John   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 1999]
Strength:

Light frame,good looking,stiff,strong

heavy with stock components, Alivio crank has got to go

Well, as you can see, I,ve replaced everything but the frame. The stock rig rode well but was heavy (approx 31lbs.) You can call me a gram but I just like ( and can afford ) light bikes,components. I have to keep up with road bikes often and now I can with FS. I have a bad back so this is the only way I can ride for prolonged period. This bike is great looking (tons of compliments) and rides awesome (nimble, responsive)!! I think it is the best deal in a FS bike. The URT bobs very little while seated and none while standing. If you set it up with Total air and an AD-10, you can almost make it feel like a non-suspension bike ( if you're into that). By the way, my bike weighs in at 23.4 lbs. now, so it shows that this Schwinn's frame is light. At 180lbs. it also feels strong and stiff.If you don't want to upgrade, buy the S-10. If you like 60's Schwinn Stingray bright candy green, upgrade the hell out of it.

Similar Products Used: too many to list
Matt   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 14, 1999]
Strength:

Great Frame, XC suspension does what it's supposed to. Nice rapid-fire shifters, smooth all around performance.

Small sparkly BRICK they used for a stock seat. Not the best bike for rough downhill attacks - but it will get you to the bottom.

This is a Great Full Suspension XC bike, the Sweet Spot frame works excellent for climbing and sprinting, virtually no bobbing at all. The killer looks are also huge plus.
Nothing can touch this bike for the price (got mine at Bennetts-www.bennetts.com- for only $699.00), this is a great bike and lots 'o fun too. Deserves at least five wrinkly red flaming thingys. Oh yeah, lose the stock seat if you value your behind.

Similar Products Used: '96 ProFlex beast(FS), '99Marin RiftZone(fs), '99 Moab(HT), '99 Specialized FSR XC(fs), ETC. , etc.
john gunn   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 23, 1999]
Strength:

good suspension all around, good looks, good price.

rear suspension not active when standing, weak stx components

great bike for the money, good for rolling hills.
good job Schwinn!!
this definitly deserves 5 flamin' ones!