Santa Cruz 2001 Bullit Full Suspension Bike

tony   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2006]
Strength:

Durability, simplicity of design, great geometry for all day riding, flexy rear end, great bargain

Weight, drivetrain induced pedal feedback

I've been beating this thing for 5 years now and this is a follow up review. While the Bullit is no longer being made, I have to say the design is a lasting one as there is an iteration of the single pivot from almost every manufacturer these days. While the biggest detractor is the pedal feedback in the small ring, there's not much else to complain about outside of the heft. It was never meant to be an xc racer and for my use as an all-mountain/xc ride, there's hardly anything new out there today that can match the Bullit in regard to durability, weight, value, and sheer performance.

Nothing fancy about this design, but it just plain works. If the Santa Cruz Bullit were a car, it'd be that hard working, beat up, reliable pick-up truck that just gets the job done.

I've gone through steel, carbon, ti, 4-bar, mac-strut, other single-pivots and I can say that of the 20+ bikes I've owned, the Bullit has been my tried and true favorite.

The best thing I can say about this is that if it ever breaks, I'll go out and get another one........new or used.

Similar Products Used: Ellsworth Truth, Titus Motolite, Trek Liquid, Trek Fuel, Titus Loco Moto, Santa Cruz Superlight......many, many more
Robert   Downhiller [Dec 18, 2001]
Strength:

Monster sized tubing on this puppy. I take way gnarlier lines now that I'm on the Bullit. Soaks up babyheads and eats drops for breakfast (i'm talking 6-10 ft-ers) AND...climbing is unreal. Was scared shi*less to climb with it, but I was in awe how well it did. There's a reason why they sell alot of these: they are the shi*!! Look no further, boyz.

excuse me?

I'm sold on this rig. I thought my Joker climbed well...can't hold a candle to the Bullit (plus when I SNAPPED the downtube away from the bb doing a totally calm huck (5-1/2' or so) on the Joker, getting it fixed by Ellsworth took almost a year and a half!! I was so pi**ed off that I practically gave the bike away. The dudes at SC rock, totally go out of their way to accomodate). I've done a couple of DH races this year on the Bullit. The first two, I got 2 and fourth respectively, and the field was massive. Was awesome, I flew by about 3 or 4 ellsworth freaks on the second race, with a huge sh**eating grin on my face. The Boxxer is so well matched to this bike, it feels like an mx bred unit. As far as the rear derailer complaints go, you guys should run a xtr setup. The derailer will snap long before the hanger bends. Go read the website, there's a reason why it's not replacable! Anyway, if you want a brawny climber, and the best retail descender out there, go plop down two large and start building one up...you won't regret it, I promise you. I give it 487,898,789,897, billion flaming chillies.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, Aeon Joker, Rocky RM6
Jason   Weekend Warrior [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

*Beefy, oversized frame tubing.
*Fox Vanilla RC rear shock (6 inches of travel).
*Simplistic, low maintenance single pivot design.
*Life-time, no fault replacement warranty.

*Paint is not durable.

This is THE ultimate DO-IT-ALL machine!
*WANT TO RIDE XC? It pedals efficiently ("bob" is NOT a problem). At 220 pounds, I can climb anything my out-of- shape body can take me. Mine weighs 33.5 pounds (very lite for a bike with 6 inches of travel in the back & 5 inches up front). I saw a 16 year old kid break the course record (set by a pro) on the Downieville "downhill" course (which is 50% XC).
*WANT TO BOMB DOWNHILL? It is tough enough to handle 5-6 foot drops (probably too much bike for most people). It is extremely smooth & stable at high speeds over very technical terrain (perfect for rides like Northstar, Downieville, & Northshore).
*"VERSATILITY" is the Bullit's middle name (which makes it a great value...you will have to shell out a couple grand, but it will be the last time). The Bullit is the only bike you will ever need (unless you are a PRO downhiller or XC racer). The bullit will shine in any situation you put it in. I rode with a guy this weekend who, after riding the Bullit, decided to buy one (this was after he swore the Giant AC1 was the ticket). If you are going to get serious about aggressive riding, get a Bullit. The initial investment will pay huge dividends. You will quit mountain biking before the Bullit quits on you.
*BUY IT IF...You are a big guy who wants to pound it downhill over obstacles at fast speeds...You are on a limited budget & need to make the next bike you buy the last bike you buy...You like good customer service...You are tired of trying/breaking "enduro-style" bikes (with too many weak pivot points) that just can't stand up to heavy duty riding.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR Enduro
Joe L.   [Oct 28, 2001]
Strength:

Tough, stiff, plush, adjustable, Fox Vanilla RC. Climbs and rides like a much lighter bike even though mine weighs about 35lbs. Oh yeah, simple design.

Little bit of pedal feedback, but hey wtf.

I love this bike! It climbs great for a 5"/6" travel bike, hell it climbs great for any full-suspension. Z1 MCR QR20 with ECC doesn't hurt either(except for the poopy seals). I've been a long time Marzocchi fan/user but have had seal problems with every fork(just not a maintenance-free fork, big deal). Frt and rear are well balanced. Downhill is amazing especially with the easily adjustible travel and head tube angle. What a deal for a frameset. A lot of bike for a little dinero.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR
Dougie   [Jan 16, 2002]
Strength:

The sheer Beefiness of this baby. Takes everything I throw at it with ease. Santa Cruz' reputation is second to none.

I've tried alot of bikes, and there's alot of crap out there that shouldn't be. The Bullit isn't one of them. This bike is the most capable whip i've ever rode. I travel to North Van on a monthly basis, and it's like the bike was carved from there. Do yourself a favor, stop looking right now. I mean it...STOP!!! You're not listening to me. You have to end your search ....right now! The Bullit really is the living end.

Similar Products Used: everything else. And I mean everything: Kona, Intense, Fisher, Karpiel, Ellsworth, GT, Yeti, K2, Schwinn, Marin, etc. (i'm a bike tester for a magazine),
Mike Richards   Weekend Warrior [Jan 13, 2002]
Strength:

Basically every aspect of this is a strength. It is an all around bad ass rig. Eats drops for breakfast. And plus it climbs very well for a longer travel full suspension.

None, except i would like to be able to run a larger tire size.

The bottom line can be summarized using two words Mutha Trucka. This is a Mutha Trucka of a bike. One of the best ive owned. If you purchase this bike dont forget to keep your pants on. Take it form me pants are important. And so is the Santa Cruz BULLIT.

Big Ken   Downhiller [Dec 27, 2001]
Strength:

No weird design on this bike. Single pivot=simple, strong, effective. Climbs like a dream. Very light for a freeride/dh bike. Love the oversized tubing. Matches a monster t pefect.

are you for real?

I thought the gspot was a sweet rig. My new Bullit wipes it all over the hill. I literally am laughing when droppin in on a new line that's rutted and tight. I thought the bike would be sluggish and slow to respond due to the huge tubing. Ah, no...WRONG!! The bullit is as tight as you want it to be, and opens up for wicked descents. I was on an eight hour epic once in Greece, and I thought before I left that after the ride, I'll be looking for a new lighter xc bike. Again, wrong! The bike performed top notch. All those things you've been hearin about the bullit, believe it! IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST ALL AROUND 6" TRAVEL RIG ON THIS PLANET. Hands down.
I'm gone.

Similar Products Used: cove gspot, giant XTC, Ellsworth dare (but only for a weekend).
dennis   Downhiller [Nov 22, 2001]
Strength:

Plush, seems to be well built

Heavy, ghost shifts, bobbs

After reading peoples reviews of this frame, it seems this frame appeals to people who think they are sick "freeriders". "It handled my huge 10 ft. drop dude" Great! you probaby mean 10 inch drop, fool. Bottom line, if you don't care about weight and you don't mind a frame that bobs and you don't mind a little ghost shifting buy it. Yes, I've tried running a non stop piece of housing from front to back and it still ghost shifts. Frame will be more efficient once it's avail. with the Progressive shock. It's a good frame if it's the type of frame your looking for.

AMF   Weekend Warrior [Nov 21, 2001]
Strength:

Solid, stiff bike. Good climber, amazing going down.

What ?

I am doing things on this bike that I never thought possible compared to my previous Treks.

I am a little slower going up the hill but but it's not bad for a 40+ lbs bike.

On the way down is where this bike shines, I knocked off 60 seconds in one of the local DH trails last weekend and I'am doing 6 foot drops with no complaints from the bike (I am 6'1", 205 lbs)

If you don't mind carrying a little extra weight on the climbs and like to descend like a mad man without having to worry about breaking stuff this is the bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek VRX 500, Y-Five 0, Y-33
Marko   Downhiller [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

Enough travel to bail you out of lots of tight situations, climbs amazingly well, it can be built up reasonably light for under 2000$, should last a long time
Also the adjustalbe headtube option, even though I don't use it (it's still nice to have the odjustability just in case)

Paint on the chainstays scratched easily, no replaceable derraileur hanger.I managed to bend it a few times on my other bike, but that was no problem because it's cro-mo so I could bend it back.That won't be possible with an aluminum hanger

This is not the same Bullit as the one you can buy from Santa Cruz, because I built it from the frame up (it cost me much less because I was shopping around for deals on stuff and I would recommend it for anyone who's not mechanically inept), but it's esentially the same bike.It still has 5" and 6" of travel front and back, riser bars, disc brakes,...
That said, the Bullit is great.One of the biggest reasons I chose Bullit is because it climbs well (actually it climbs amazingly well, which I found out very soon).I was worried in the beginning that it will be a chore climbing on a 30lb long travel freeride bike (I know climbing isn't the first thing a majority of you would consider in a freeride bike, but I have to ascend some big climbs to enjoy a great downhill).But the first climb I tried (a very steep and slippery half hour ascent) was the same as on my hardtail!Pedal feedback was unnoticeable.OK, so the climb went well, but it was nothing compared with the descent.I found myself speeding through the corners and jumping off of everything.It was great!The suspension leveled almost every rock and root in its path (you always notice the big stuff underneath you).
It's even possible to ride comfortably enough on smooth surface, even pavement if necessary.You just turn the compression knob on the Vanilla RC to fully closed (and you can do this on the fly without a problem on smooth surface) and you have a much less active rear suspension.
As for the ghostshifting problem: I had it, too, but it was my fault because I didn't put enough housing between the front end and the swingarm.I didn't experience any problems after fixing that.
It's not so difficult to make a bike that descends or climbs well, but it's a much bigger challenge to make one that does both things well.So kudos to Santa Cruz for making the Bullit!