Rocky Mountain 1999 Pipeline Full Suspension Bike

1999 Rocky Mountain Pipeline, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-1 Dropoff, 5.0" travel fork

Frank   Downhiller [May 28, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is sweet to do drops, to just to some freeride or even just to do some dual slalom. The z.1 drop off in front is very active and the rear suspension as well. I love the sram 9.0 in the back too.

The disc brake are the crapiest ever, they can only stop well if you ride in good conditions. The rims aren't beefy enough. The stem is too long to my taste.

This bike works well everywhere you go. Rocky mountain should really put some better discs on that bike. Except that, the bike works prefectly, you can do what your in the mood to ride because this bike can be set up in many ways. I give it 5 flaming Chilis without a question.

Similar Products Used: kona stinky, stinky dee-lux
Daniel M   Downhiller [Oct 26, 2000]
Strength:

Oh yeah! Go Canada! This is THE extreme bike, and represents us well. I want one.

I don't have one

I want one I want one I want one I want one I want one I want one I want one. If I had one, I could go shore and drop 15 footers that would shatter my peice if sh*t giant hardtail.

Similar Products Used: Stinky
BRIAN   [Oct 24, 2000]

TO UPDATE MY PREVIOUS REVIEW... ...THE FRAME BROKE!! ON THE REAR TRIANGLE JUST IN FRONT OF THE LEFT DROPOUT. IF YOU HAVE THE OLD MODEL WITH THE DETACHABLE DISC CALIPER MOUNT, DO NOT RIDE IT ON ANYTHING HAIRY UNTIL YOU HAVE THE REAR SECTION REPLACED. I BROKE IT IN A FLAT PARKING LOT. ROCKY KNOWS OF THE PROBLEM, BUT YOU SHOULD BE FINE IF YOU RUN V-BRAKES

Greg Bird   Weekend Warrior [Oct 18, 2000]
Strength:

Beefy rear triangle, Heavy duty tubeset, BIG pivot!
King of the URT's man! Nice and plush and the adjustable travel is great!
Still active even while standing.

It's a URT. It is (as I said)still fairly active while standing, but not as active as 4 bar linkage bikes or sinlge pivot swingarm types.
Plus it is a bit heavy too. I also notice the front end is really tall compared to similar bikes.

The bottom line is I love this bike! I bought it used from a guy who had it as a second bike. I have a few friends who own Pipelines too and love them as well. I looked for a "Do anything" type of bike as that is the type of riding I do. A bit of cross country, a bit of Urban stuff, lots of freeriding kinda stuff.......this is a great bike for all of that!
I like the variable travel in the rear too. I dont think there are too many bikes out there that you can go from 4-5-6inches without tools!!(if any)
If you are looking for a Kick Ass, do it all and come back smiling kind of bike, this might be the one for you.
P.S. I read the reviews here in the MTBR website with regards to the Pipeline and it helped me with my purchessing decision. You can't go wrong with the advise you get from people who actually ride the bike you are interested in possibly buying!

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Heckler. Specialized Big Hit. Santa Cruz Bullit.
BRIAN   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2000]
Strength:

The frame rules. Period. I thank 'zokes for the dropoff. Can't get a better fork.

Dia-tech can go to hell. The freehub assembly froze 3 months into use and ate the whole drivetrain, not to mention the lack of engineering in their calipers.

You get what you pay for. Sure, you have to spend another grand to get all the crap peices replaced, but you still end up with a bike you can climb a hill on and hit freeway speeds coming down while remaining in complete control. Jump it. XC'it. Downhill it. Climb it. It will do anything you want it to with no complaints.

Dropper   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2000]
Strength:

suspension
the looks
its CANADIAN

CRACKED THE STUPID FRAME GOING OFF A SMALL JUMP!!! but rocky was good with the warranty
a bit heavy for me.
bad rims for the bike
bad brakes

this is a nice bike but i dont know why the frame cracked on me. i tried a RM6 the other day dand it was beautiful so i am going to get it and sell this bike

Similar Products Used: RM6, stinky delux
Bren   Downhiller [Oct 05, 2001]
Strength:

supper plush
beefy frame

no weaknesses

Any one out there needing a XC/Hucker should go for this bike. You can change the rear travel from 3 to 6 inches in 15 secounds flat.

Similar Products Used: nothing like it
Jim Thomlinson   Downhiller [Feb 28, 2000]
Strength:

It goes up. It goes down. And on a good day I can keep up with it.

Who spec'd the Ditech disc brakes and the CR19 rims. Obviosly he has been fired because the 2000 is spec'd with neither.

I wish I was half as good as the bike is. It is like riding the couch on fast choppy down hills. It will drop into anything. It manages cross country trails almost like it was built for them. And you can actually climb it up the hills you intend to go down. The only thing I have ridden that came close was a Santa Cruz, but dolllar for dollar I would have to pick the Rocky. Fold up the rims, sell the brakes and you are ready to Rock.

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain Element
Pete Busink   [Feb 27, 2000]
Strength:

This bike rules! 10 footers and nothing's bottoming or breaking. Okay climbing and amazing descending! Replaceable derailler hanger. Marzocchi Z.1 Dropoff fork is incredible.

Came with Formula Discs which suck beyond description. Also came with light cross country rims that don't match the potential for this bike and taco just thinking about drops.

Whether used for cross country or serious downhilling or free riding, it is the perfect bike!

Sheldon Dyck   Downhiller [Feb 21, 2000]
Strength:

When you put your leg over this bike, you pretty much feel indestructable. The ugly colours are also friggin sweet.

I broke the snapped the frame by the rear drop out. What's up with the friggin CR18 rims. I folded both of them after a couple of rides. The fork twisted up on me and I had to pay for friggin repairs, because I sent it to Norco and they said it wasn't on friggin warranty. The z1 has givin me nothing but trouble. The diatech discs suck in sloppy conditions, actually they suck in most conditions. This bike has cost me a lot of cash for all of the repairs and new parts.

Sweet bike, but a few crappy parts that makes the quality drop drastically. I'm sorry about the negativity but when you brake so many parts and nothing is covered under warranties, you get a little ticked off after a while. This bike is perfect for the lighter weight rider under 200 pounds and enjoys thrashing through any type of terrain. I'm glad they changed up the brakes for 2000. If only they'd send me some good brakes to make up for the cheapies on the 99's.