Raleigh 2000 M7000 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett XC, 3.0" travel fork

Justin please mail me for comments   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2000]
Strength:

I had such a nice ride I felt it a shame that no-one has written about this bike yet.
I am the slightly above average bike rider e.g. Got kids still ride :) there for, I must fight the wife on the "TRUE IMPORTANCE" of man and bike, the ever addictive Zen of man, machine and nature....and the cost ther of....Soo I loose again, and I shop for a bike in the $800-900 range (sigh)
Imagine my joy to find a fully active suspesion bike in my price range. Fairly good looking (very similar in appearance to Trek's Y bikes) with Great componet group (would like better shifters)and....Full suspension bike! (3" front travle and I think 4" in the rear). All the cables are inteligently top routed.
I hopped on for a test ride(I need to have the shop guys put on a shorter seat post). Not too heavy, impressivly light for a full suspension, though I would like to know the exact weight.(Far lighter than the older shwin I rode in the same price range) The M7000 was agile and easy to handle. I felt comfortable and confident onboard. Basic manuvers like hops and wheelies were pleasingly crisp and controlable. I felt no chassis twist or binding.(the frame geomitry is remakably similar to Shwins rocket bikes. head angle, wheel base, top tube, bottom bracket, and chain stay all VERY VERY close ) The bike was quite easy to stop, I'm sure in part to the huge footprint. The stock tires are 2.35's (too large for me, after all riding is half uphill. and I would swap them for somthing much narrower) Climbing up a grassy hill traction seemed fine, nothing spectacular. My riding style is slightly BMX and I do not sit much in the saddle. It pogo's a little but diddn't wear me out any, and the wheels never slipped once. General riding and curb hopping was plush. the rear end soaking up my clumsy curb wacking nicely. handles fine in gravle. The true test for me came at the end of my ride. All hills end in one of 3 things. Water, ditches, or rocks.....well somtimes fences. Any way, for the not so wonderful rider the problem is saving face, literally! If you don't get in the lower gear an get that front end up, you lock that front wheel in and BAM over the bars you go! Imagine my pleasure (I am fairly new to the rear suspesion arena) when I yanked up on the bars And see the suspension work for me. It reared up if you will (folded up on it's pivot piont)and planted itself softly for me on to the level hill bottom. NEAT! The bike handled my 180-185 lb weight like it was meant for me, not some ride or die 135lb guy.
I am still shopping around, but I think I have found my bike.

Poor Factory-Customer Support. (I've been to the shop and I've been to the page(also hard to find), but no-one, no e-mail or no link to tell me about the weight or warrenty on this bike)
Too much paint!! I would really like to see some polished shiny surfaces on this thing! ESPCIALLY the rear suspension arm!! and also (since we are on appearances) big ugly (and I am sure) strong welds.
Would like to see a rear shock with more adjustablity for tuneable riding. guess I'll have to go after market on that.

Geomitry is very close to top of the line bikes (there fore similar handeling atrabutes) at only HALF the price and BETTER!!
Plush ride, good amount of travle front and rear. great urban ride. The frame feel very solid and well made.
7005 Aluminum frame (srong unless you throw it off a cliff, or joust with cars)

Good bike, Great price (undrer $1000)($920 to be exact, less than the price of a Trek 7000 hardtail)

I'd call it a weekend warrior buddy :)

Similar Products Used: Older Shwin (zero pogo design)hated it!
Shwin rocket stage 3 (nice, double the price)
My beloved 96'trek 7000 hardtail (it kinda compares)
bill   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2001]
Strength:

very good frame, decent gruppo, overall package priced right, good frame for upgrades

im 200 lbs, ride mostly east coast -- nc rocky, rooty single track. with some upgrades and suspension adjustment, the m7000 has been a very stable, strong and relatively nimble bike considering urt dual suspension weight penalities. ive endo'd it off boulders, ridden down many sets of concrete steps (going up the steps bent a chainring), crashed many times in tight corners and overall the bike is in great shape with no damage.

although the rear shock has no damping or compression adjustment, ive had very good luck adjusting the pre-load to suit various terrain situations.

heavy components in cockpit, generic wheelset, rockshox suspension (although better than some previous model years)

first upgrade to consider should be wheels and tires -- they made a fantastic difference in overall handling.

very good value for the money compared to other entry level y or urt bikes. dont buy this bike if you are a freerider and expect the wheels or suspension to hold up. do buy this bike if you want a good all-around cross-country bike at a great price.

Tyler D.   Downhiller [Sep 24, 2000]
Strength:

Lite for the streghth good choise on the components and bang for the buck.

front forks arent that great but worth it for the money

Very nice for the money I would highly recomend this bike to beginers-entry level riders