Raleigh 1999 M8000 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Raleigh M8000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore LX/XT components, Answer Manitou X-Vert E, 4.0" travel fork

Jonas Magnusson   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2016]
Strength:

Comfortable, fun in rough terrain, fast on trails, used for commuting you can take unorthodox short cuts.

Too old for disc brake upgrade rear. The forward angle of the rear dropouts. How the rear brake wirw bends between frame and swing. That's why I bougt hydraulic Magura HS33.

In Sweden this frame design was also sold as CyclePro FR1 and FR2 . I have it as a CyclePro FR1 1999. I bought it new in spring 2000. It handles well, and has good spec's - all Shimano Deore LX exept brake levers (Avid), rims (Mavic 221) and rear derailleur (Deore XT). The Original Rock Shox Judy 100 had bad sealings so dirt came in and wore the surface of the inner tubes. The rear damper, Rock Shox deluxe, had only pre load adjustment so it felt like flipping over. WTB saddle and handles. 2.25 inch tires (of lesser quality). Riser handlebar 670 mm (wide in those days, narrow today). I have always liked this bike, especially for the price and with 100 mm travel full suspension! The frame is well worth keeping and handles modern suspension with honor. It's very good for recreation and takes a lot of beating and handles rocks and roots and... well, mostly the rider is the limit, but it's not a competition bike, and by todays standard probably not really a free ride bike.

If you are into (restoring) vintage mountain bikes and want a piece of historic full suspension mtb - the Raleigh M8000/CyclePro FR1 or M7000/FR2 1999 is a good way in. The difficultie is if you can't get a rim brake rear wheel or adapt the swing to disc brake.

Joel Eisenbraun   [Dec 07, 2012]
Strength:

Can take a beating. Frame is almost impossible to destroy. Inexpensive for it's class.

It's a brick, heavy. Dated design. Pedal bob when riding.

I doubt that anyone will ever read this review as I am writing it on a 13 year old bike, but my Raleigh M8000 has survived many years of hard trail riding and I want to give Raleigh props for building a solid bike. I originally purchased an M7000 in 1998 which was not the Y frame. I cracked that A frame in less than a year. Raleigh honored the lifetime warranty on the frame by replacing it with a 1999 M8000 frame. They also upgraded to V brakes (that was new tech back then) in the process.
I have ridden this set up for over 10 years. It handles the roots and sand of Houston single track just fine. I've even taken this bike downhill in Colorado and it held it's own. I have to say that dropping $1200 on a bike back in the 90s was steep, it has more than paid for itself.
I also find it funny that the lime green has come back into style 10 years later. Unfortunately the y frame is dated and makes me feel a bit old. But, I guess I am.

cobrents   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2009]
Strength:

Durability: riding this workhorse for 10 years, replacing the rings, chain, and cog set once, riding single track, trails, and occasional roads. I average about 30 miles per week, year around.

Rock shock rear shock has been replaced twice. Ugly color, but then no one is going to steal it.

Will keep riding this one until one of us gives out.

Similar Products Used: Trek front suspension and Specialized Hardtail
old fox   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2000]
Strength:

Very good strength

Brakes too feeble. Gears do not always click in smoothly

A good bike. Slightly cumbersome. Feeble braking. All in all pleasent and very good suspension

Similar Products Used: Kona manomano
Dirt monkey   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2000]
Strength:

good strong frame - sealed bearing - freaky color!

none yet

well i bought mine as a frame and bulit it up from there but i think it is killer off road and it has over 4 inches of travel and what could go wrong there! overall a kick ass bike!

Shadow   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 10, 1999]
Strength:

This is the best bike for the price it's at. You will never find a better bike at $1,249 retail price. The y2k m8000 is looking even better. I like the forged mono swing arm design and the Rock Shox suspension.

Truly no weaknesses.

The best double suspension bike for the price.

Similar Products Used: Raliegh M7000, Klein Mantra Race.
Nishiki   Weekend Warrior [Jun 30, 1999]
Strength:

Price, weight, components

Color, Name many people think of Raleigh as a Dept Store Bike

This is my first Full Suspension bike that not only have I owned but ever riden. I can't give it an honest Much Riden review. I know I have stopped by a few local bike shops and the employies look at it and say I didn't even think Raleigh made a full suspension bike When they pick it up they are surprised at the light weight and impressed at the components it comes stock with. Usualy they ask if they can take it for a spin, and come back saying they are surprised at how it handles. These are the same guys that have two and three grand bikes at their shop so I take it as a good sign.

Similar Products Used: None
Mike Spratt   Weekend Warrior [Mar 25, 1999]

The person who reviewed the 1998 M-8000, should actually look at the 1999. It is vastly improved over the 1998 model. Now the the rear swingarm is forged (like the Cannondale) and uses sealed cartridge bearings for the main pivot. I know that the other person was upset about his frame, but it's a totally different design for 1999.

Chris Williams   cross-country rider [Jan 30, 1999]

If this guy had a problem with his Raleigh m-8000. then he should clearly pull his head out if he is recommending a Cannondale or any other Y design. Do to the fact that the raleigh is designed just like those Bicycles. They all flex do to the way the shock connects to the Bicycle. The shock is what holds the part of the rear triangle together. By connecting the shock that way, you will naturally cause the frame to flex. They also have what you would call pedal indueced bobbing. But for the begging Mountian Biker this is an excellent bicycle.and these ploblems probaly won't be real noticable.So don't just buy for the name, there are eleven bicycles that have this design. There other full suspension bikes out there with alot worse design.

Mitchell Small   cross-country rider [Dec 08, 1998]

Do not let a low price decieve you for a quality bike!!! I tried to save a few bucks and bought 1997 M8000. The pivot was so weak the frame flexed like a rubberband. Although Raleigh replaced the frame with an improved 98 model, it squeaks and is marginal at best. I would never buy a FS bike from Raleigh again, maybe a Hardtail is ok.
Spend a little more on a name brand like C'ndale, Trek, GT, Schwinn, Fisher etc, and at least you will get a quality bike that you will enjoy instead of a bunch of headaches like I did. Also, Raleigh was very slow to honor thier warantee! Any questions email me at small@asifs.com!