Outland 1999 VPP5 Dual Crown Full Suspension Bike

Outland 1999 VPP5 Dual Crown Full Suspension Bike

1999 Outland VPP5 Dual Crown, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.15" travel fork

[Mar 10, 2000]
droffats remark

White rust

If you have had problems with your frameset developing white rust (aluminum corrosion), go to valleypowdercoat.com. They sand blasted and powder coated my beat up frame. They did a killer job, great service, and sent the frame back to me packed up like it was their own. Awesome job.

Actually, I recomend them to powder coat any frame.

[Jun 01, 1999]
some guy you don not know
Downhiller

Good

Company

I am really writing this as a response to those who think that outland went tits up. I know the designer of the outlands and the company did get into to trouble but they recently sold it. The problem is the guy that bought the company has not kept up his end of the bargain when it comes to the production side of things.

Rocky Mountain DHO

[Apr 24, 1999]
Ron
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

suspension quality-it is extremely plush with no noticeable bob when pedaling

lateral stiffness, but it is still better than most

Although I have not needed anything from the company since I had the zirc fitting upgrade I had no problems with returned phone calls of e-mails. At the time they were all extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend the grease ports to anyone who has pivot problems. I weigh 230 lbs. and do moslty climbing with many downhills. I have yet to hear a creek from the pivots and it's been about a year now. By the way my riding form is not all that good so this frame has only made my riding better. I really love it.

schwinn hardtail, GT LTS-1

[Apr 11, 1999]
mark

Strength:

works great downhill

wears out pivot hardware when stressed under heavy climbing (lateral) loads.

the frame wears out the pivot hardware when used for lots of climbing. the pivot shafts are made of titanium and should have been made instead from chrome moly steel. the bushings, o-rings and glide washers are a complete and total pain to replace. and the replacement parts are close to impossible to get from outland so the last time i ordered them i bought 3 sets (about $50 each set). in fact, i found tyring to do the replacement of the pivot parts impossible and i take the frame to a shop (castro valley cyclery in castro valley, california 510-538-1878) and have them do it. that costs another $45 just in labor (albeit a well spent $45). also, don't expect any help from outland. i called them 3 times without a return phone call and finally on the 4th try spoke to someone who proclaimed he knew nothing about anything related to the bikes and he said he couldn't forward me to speak to someone who did. i askded him to have someone call me, but, no one ever called back.when this frame has fresh pivot hardware it works fantastically well, but, if you don't live next to a shop that can support you and this frame (like c.v. cyclery) i suggest you buy something else. anything else.

tons

[Mar 24, 1999]
Rusty

Strength:

5 of travel front and rear. Frame was built custom. It is larger than most and has an extra tube between the top tube and seat tube.

Company will not return phone calls

I love the bike, but I would like to stock up on some replacement parts. If anyone knows how to get bushing kits or dropouts, please post it here. I have called Outland many times, but no luck. Calling Outland directly doesn't work.

[Feb 02, 2005]
Tyler Pace

Strength:

This bike climbs amazingly well; I've owned 60+ mountain bikes in the past 10 years, and this beats them all.

The pivot point below the crankshaft; get them replaced and toughened up and the bike rides like a cloud.

I was worried when I bought this off of Ebay.....it looked as though it was going to fall apart. I was very wrong. This bike is bomb proof (just fix the pivots). I was climbing better on this bike (with the dual-crown Bomber) then I ever do on my GT SGS-1. It's amazing.
If you're serious about climbing, as well as taking some good jumps, this is for you.

GT I-Drive, Specalized Enduro Pro, Trek Fuel

[Apr 13, 1999]
Rick

Strength:

I feel it does everything great.

company support.

I have not found this bike to have the problems that I have heard from others, my pivots all seem fine after two yrs but I do not ride in much wet stuff. This bike does everything great I have riden other FS bike and have found flaws in them in some way shape or form but this one seems to excell in all the areas. I can say that the company support does suck and that may be a reason itself to buy something else but that would be up to the individual.

Many URT and other linkage type bikes.

[Apr 13, 1999]
Mike Thompson

Strength:

It's a pillow. Soaks up the bad stuff like it isn't there.

Costs a bunch.

Buy one if you like to Banzai the downhills and it climbs without bobbing. Wish I could.

Nothing like this. Have had four other full suspension bikes but this one is THE one.

[Apr 14, 1999]
Martin S

Just thought I'd let you know that Outland seems to have gone tit's up. I know someone who worked for the shop that machined some of their parts, and outland gave them a bunch of frames because they couldn't afford to pay their bill.