Motiv 1999 HighRidge Full Suspension Bike

Motiv HighRidge

42-iiii mnnn   Downhiller [Oct 01, 2001]
Strength:

out of this price range the RockPoint 2000-01 Is a suprising
5 out of 5. For the less serious Advanced Or A Rigid Beginner looking for rough&tough ride. This will suit you.***** Five stars.Customer service will help with any replacement parts No Questions Asked. And Prompt Shipping. No hassiles or Runarounds.

Some welding Infractions I've been told, None I've seen yet. I pounce all day, And no sign of fray. The frame is a bit heavy though, But Fun as hell.

Over All In Rain, Mud, Or, SNOW!!! With Hutchinson Alligators, Road use Musquito's by Hutchinson.
Comes in Blue Red Yellow, Or Red Blue Yellow. Either Way Hutchinson makes those tires in Black,DoubleYellow, Or Black doubleRed. I'm Almost sure that they have Blue. But the red bike Accented with yellowblack tire looks K-rad Alright.

Similar Products Used: Acer Shimanos 24speed(+), Gondo Forks(oversized(+)),REAR Disc breaks capable(++),6061 T6 Aluminum Oversized Frame(++)
98% Aluminum (except for the Rear Cassette,And Bar-ends, Tires, Handle Grips, Carbon Handle Bar.Other than that (98-95%)Aluminum
PaulBaby   Weekend Warrior [May 21, 2000]
Strength:

Its pretty light, the suspension works great for my needs..I got this baby up t0 40 MPH and I didnt think I was going to die like my old bike..

I dont really like the sram shifters and I had to buy a new seat right away..this one hurts the gonies..

There is some guy who sells these things out of a wherehouse near my home..FOR $130!! Its unbelievable..I used to race BMX and I love to jump, my old bike nearly broke in half and this thing keeps on tickin'. I recomend it if your not a pro or a superficial freak who needs to ride a $3000 bike..those guys always stare at my bike and I just say 130 bucks bro, 130 bucks..

Similar Products Used: 2000 Mongoose
Darryl Bradley   Weekend Warrior [Aug 24, 2000]
Strength:

Very affordable
Aluminum frame
Seems strong as hell

Heavy
Should have came with a sealed bottom bracket
Cheap wheels(but what do you expect for the price)

All right, so I've got about $600 into it now, but it was the only way I could get around my wife and spend this much on a bike.This thing rocks, the frame is strong as a bull, a little heavy,probably due to the heavy welds,but this thing will take a beating.
I will upgrade the rear shock,way later,but I like the way this thing rides.I had a K2 Ecotec 3 a couple years ago, and I think this thing has smoked it. I really like the way the rear suspension is set up, beefy a$$ rear end and it doesn't seem to want to throw me head first over the bars like some of the other full suspension bikes.
For anyone just looking to get into mountain biking, this thing is a great deal. The components that came on it aren't the best, but they will last and are all entry level for mountain biking.So, if your are looking for something fun to ride and want to get into the mountain biking scene, this will do the trick easily.Just ignore those people on the expensive machines and have fun with it.
It gets 5 chilis for value rating as it is a bad bike for the price, but they only get 4 chilis on overall rating for putting that sorry bottom bracket in it.

Similar Products Used: Proflex full suspension
Jack   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 1999]
Strength:

Price, full suspension introductory bike. Very informative Customer Service dept.
Brand-name component (Shimano deraileurs, Sram grip shifter, etc.)

Weak chainwheel, the smallest one mounted too close (3mm) to the frame (not sure it's specs or assembly issue). Cable stretched, chain felt off the smallest chain ring, stuck betweek it and frame, gouged soft aluminium frame.
Cable housings on back are too short and got tugged and bent when frame moved with rear suspension.

Very good value for introduction to MTB. Full suspension eases me into off-road rides. I enjoyed the bike and riding almost every day and weekends. May have to upgrade chain wheel and hubs to do more active off-road. Highly recommended if you can find it. According to Motiv, bike is only for wholesale to Sam's Club and the like. Definitely should work with a local bike shop for adjustments after 30 days or so.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M60, Trek
Jack   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 1999]
Strength:

Value (price, frame, suspension). Well equiped introductory bike (21 speed). Very informative Customer Service dept.

Off-brand and a bit flimpsy chainwheel. The smallest one is too close (4mm) to the frame. Chain stretched, over-shifted, felt off and stuck between smallest chain wheel and frame, gouging soft aluminium frame. Cable housings(deraileurs, brakes) are a bit shorter than needed, get tugged when the rear suspension flexes.

Very good value bike for beginners looking for more than a plain-old MTB. I have been looking for an inexpensive but safe introductory mountain bike. Found the bike at Sam's Club at $200. Overall it's a great value (full suspension front and rear), light weight aluminium frame, brand-name components (Sram twist shift, Shimano cogset and derailleurs, linear brake, etc.)
I got into the habit of riding the bike more often (every other day and weekends) than anticipated. In another year or so, chain wheel and rear cogset may need to be upgraded for smoother shifting off-road.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Raleigh 60 (bought for wife)
TROYE MEYER   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2001]
Strength:

IT SEEMS DURABLE (WELL, AT LEAST THE FRAME) AND THE SHOCKS SEEM FINE - ITS GREAT FOR THE BEGINING RIDER (YOUNG OR OLD) I,VE ATE IT ON THIS BEAST A FEW TIMES WITH LITTE DAMAGE

ITS HEAVY, AND NOT VERY HIGH QUALITY (WELL IT WAS $200) I PULLED THE GRIP OFF IT YESTERDAY IN A CRASH.

GREAT BIKE FOR NEW RIDERS AND A GREAT PRICE - IF YOUR ALREADY INTO THE WHOLE BIKE THING ALREADY AND LOOKING FOR A NEW BIK, THIS AINT IT.

Similar Products Used: BRANDIS POC
mark cxunningham   Downhiller [Jun 07, 2001]
Strength:

cheap, strong, ive had over 6ft air on this sob, and it didnt break, (my leg did.)

it needs some stuff upgraded. (Get sun rhinolite rims, for one)

I love motiv because they have no-b.s. customer service, cheap products, and pretty decent quality. keep an eye out 4 the guy with two right-hand forks!!! peace.

Anita   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2001]
Strength:

Motiv Ground Pounder - Great entry level Mt Bike, inexpensive, durable, name brand entry level components (Shimano Acera front, Shimano Alivio rear, Grip Shift SRAM MRX plus...), looks good.

Location of water bottle holder (underside), somewhat heavy.

My bike is actually the Motiv Ground Pounder. I was looking to replace my old Mt Bike (12 years old) and start doing more biking. I really wanted to have a dual suspension, so I spent a lot of time looking at entry level Mountain Bikes at several LBS's (dual was out of the question price wise), and I got to the point where I was looking at spending about $800 on a reasonable entry level hard tail. I had to back up and rethink, because I was just a weekend rider and I really actually wanted a dual suspension. Then I came across this Motiv at costco and thought, what the #$%@@, at least I'd only be out $250 if I didn't like it. I took it to my LBS and they said it was the best dept store bike they'd ever seen. It had also been put together very well (apparantly a big issue). My shifter was a little rough, so they replaced a cable and it has since been problem free and a joy to ride. I love it! My boyfriend bought the Gary Fischer Sugar 3, an awesome bike, but I must say, I have no problem keeping up with him on my Motiv. We ride the same trails, and when the day is through, we've both had a great time, we are both happy with our bikes perfomances, and I'm $1000+ richer. Purists turn their noses up at it (without even giving it a try), but this bike does get a lot of looks anyway (very good looking). If you're just looking for an entry level mountain bike (although I intend to keep mine indefinately & upgrade as needed), and you don't mind the scrutiny of the purists, this bike is as good a deal as you'll ever get! $250! Five flamers all around!

Similar Products Used: Gary Fischer Sugar 3
David   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2004]
Strength:

Aluminum frame, decent components, sturdy and great looking.

Slightly heavy.

This is a great bike for the money, and a nice way to go for someone just getting started with mountain biking who doesn't want to spend a lot of money to have some fun. I bought one at Costco for my son and I liked it so much I bought one for myself a few months later. I've had mine for one year and I've had no problems. We trail ride on weekends and it takes a fair pounding and always bounces back.

I purchased mine from the guy who takes all the returns from Costco and reconditions them. I only paid $150.00 for a brand new bike. Even at the regular price I don't think you can go wrong.

John Reinhart   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2002]
Strength:

Great components, very functional, great looking, sturdy frame and suspension.

Front shocks bottom out very easy - not enough travel.

I have had this bike for several years and it is a excellent bike... only complaint is the front shocks stink (I am only 180lbs and the front shock bottoms out on the smallest twig!)

I would not have a problem with buying another Motiv HighRidge, it's a great sturdy bang for your buck!

Here's a current pic of my bike: