Mongoose 2001 Valiant Full Suspension Bike

Mongoose 2001 Valiant Full Suspension Bike

[Feb 10, 2004]
John Peltier

Strength:

This bike has great name brand components at a clearance price that is unbelievable. Solid suspension with Rock Shox Deluxe coilover rear shock. Manitou SX-E was much too soft for a 200lb guy, but we be great for a lighter person.
Kore,Avid, Deore & LX,Truvativ Firex, and Rock Shox components are still the norm on $1000,00 + bikes.

Alex wheels look great but seem to bend very easy, I recommend tightneing spokes before first ride. CyclePro tires are cheap and work OK at best. Rear derailleur cable can hang up on seat post clamp (poor design). Suspension
bolts should be tightened and Loc-tited peiodically as mine came loose after first ride. Truvativ rings do bend easily.

If you can find one of these 2001 left overs at your local Dick's sporting goods, you may get it on clearance for under $ 500.00. The components alone are worth that much and the frame is beautiful as well. I was reluctant to buy a bike at Dick's but they replaced my bent wheel for free and were happy to tighten all pivot points. Frame has sharp handling and and is very comfortable. Good suspension design is similar to many high end frames.

GT LTS, GT Avalanche

[Oct 01, 2001]
Ken SMAN

Strength:

Strong and stiff...

Front fork, shifters, rear derailler, rock shox deluxe (Too heavy, but does a very good job of soaking up bumps), total WEIGHT...pretty darn heavy.

Sweet bike for 750.00 bucks...that leaves me money left over to upgrade parts...XT rear der. and shifters, Manitou SXR front fork, Cane Creek AD-12 rear shock, and Panaracer XC tires...this will make this rig quite nice. So, for about a total cost of 1250.00 dollars, I get a schweet rig...The Trek Fuel runs 1500.00.

Trek 7000

[Sep 26, 2001]
Clapper

Strength:

Fast, well balanced, and definitely tough !

The Sx-e fork is a bit too soft, but is ok.

This is a good bike. The only thing I would probably change on it, would be the fork. I'ld go for one that is a little stiffer. The tyres are nice and fat, but I've found them sliding a little more than I like. I've treated this bike rough, including a lot of stacks, and it just brushes it off and keeps on going.

[Sep 25, 2001]
Greg W

Strength:

-Light, I think it's 25 pounds (or close to it)
-WTB TyrannoRaptors work great
-Deore LX derailleurs works great
-27 Speed
-WTB Speed Disc rims are strong

-Rear derailleur hits the frame when going over bumps in 5th-9th gear
-Manitou SX-E fork needs rebound control

This is a great bike. I think Dicks now sells it for $750 which is an awesome price to pay for such a good bike. I jump it, do urban riding, 4 foot drops, and it is holding up great. Nothing has went wrong with it at all. The rear soaks up all landings. The Manitou SX-E fork is not the best fork for what I do with it, though it is good for XC. I bottoms out on drops... I'm looking to get a Marzocchi fork on it. This bike is a road rocket. I average about 20 MPH on flat land without even trying. Overall this is a great bike at a now great price.

Huffy, Kona Scrap, GT Avalanche, many Wal-Mart bikes

[Oct 05, 2001]
larry

Strength:

very high quality welds+frame materials for the $$$,wtb componets work well with overall package.

for the $$$ can't complain. well thought out bicycle.

sure makes riding a hard tail w/out forks a thing of the past.exc. choice for a first time full suspension ride.get the 2001 model savings now before its too late.

gt 5.0/

[Dec 10, 2002]
Adam Kehler

Strength:

Great Comfortable rear suspension, though bobbing a lot uphill. OK when tightening the rebound adjust

Manitou SX Fork stiffens when cold, soft chainrings bend on rock/wood contact, LX rear derailleur has to be adjusted when temperature changes only few degrees

I use this inexpensive bike to practise trails where I expect to fall on rocks. Tubes have numerous dents, Front wheel took on the shape of potato crisp when touching young tree..
It taught me to go down stairs! Great fun, took me over the Alps. Shimano shifting is no comparison to the reliability of the Rohloff hub, which I ride on my hardtail.
Don't expect too much of it. Great for beginners - or for your girl friend, that gets headache riding bumpy roads..

C. Jekyll, Specialized Stumpjumper,

[Sep 06, 2002]
Hank Chinaski

Strength:

light for a cheap bike, nice welds, smooth , sealed rear suspension w/ little flex, corners very well, shifting & brakes work great.

bobs A LOT, rear shock spring too weak (I weigh 160 lbs), manitou sx fork is a dud, truvativ firex middle chainring bent very easily

This suspension design allows way too much pedaling energy to be absorbed by the shock. I bought a cane creek cloud nine w/ a semi-lockout & that improved the situation. I also replaced the front fork. The manitou sx felt dead (its feel has since improved after being broken in on another bike, but not much). Other than those problems, the bike handles well, shifts great, & seems to be built to last. About what I expected for 700 clams.

Mongoose NX 8.3, amplifier II