Merlin 2001 ExtraFat Full Suspension Bike

Erik Carlson   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2002]
Strength:

My Merlin extrafat has changed my life! I LOVE this frame. The extra fat chain stays and down tube give the bike a great ride. The seatstay crown is outstanding and makes for a much better softtail ride then Moots YBB. The soft tail makes the bike stick to the ground on climbs for 100% speed. The handling is outstanding thanks to the cannondale headshock ultra. THE FRAME HAS THE BEST Ti WELDS I HAVE SEEN! Every rider i see can't keep their eyes off my bike i love that. :)

I feel sad if im not riding. But the only true weakness i have seen in this bike is that the dropouts are not disk comp. but i bought a merlin disk adapter that fits very snug on the dropout and seems to be as strong a the 2002 disk dropouts if installed correct. The other problem i had was the rear triangle was 1mm off when i got the frame but when i built the bike that problem went away. So in truth this frame is weakness free.

SWEET RIDE! I hope this is my life ride. This thing Floats over roots and rough stuff. See ya on the trail.

Similar Products Used: Moot YBB, Litespeed Pisgah
OVERALL
Bruce   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2002]
Strength:

Beautiful, high quality construction, laterally stiff but vertically compliant, includes an excellent fork, titanium.

Stuck with one brand of fork unless you purchase an adapter, limited suspension travel.

I bought the bike as a frameset. It comes w/Cannondale fork, headset, and stem. Great value when you can get it for less than half of retail. Very stiff laterally because of large downtube (1 3/4" diameter), climbs well. Fork is very compliant but no flex and can be adjusted for damping or locked out while riding. I have ridden a Litespeed for 10 years. Merlin is owned by Litespeed, but this frame looks better cosmetically. I have 3 titanium bikes, one steel, and an aluminum mountain tandem and I favor the titanium over the other materials.