Marin 2000 Rift Zone Full Suspension Bike

• Ovation 6000 Series Aluminum Double Butted Mega DT, w/New Light Weight Alloy Swingarm
  • Manitou Mars
  • Fox Float Rear Shock
  • Ovation Comp
  • Mavic x-221 S Rims
  • IRC Notos XC Tires w/Kevlar Bead

• User Reviews (9)

CHRIS LEE   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2001]
    Strength:

Excellent value, comfortable, strong, reliable

Drive train, brakes

Excellent bike, good XC ,comfortable, light. Drive train ok but excelent strong frame. Mars not as good as old Z1,s but lighter. Not really down hill fodder, but flies up hill

Similar Products Used: ALTITUDE KLEIN
    Ben Coleman   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2001]
    Strength:

Great price (£800 UK sterling) as the shop had just got stock of 2001 model (should have been £1295). Efficient climber (little bob), lightweight, well balanced.

Flat bars, weak wheels, could be better groupset...

My old bike was set-up as a downhill/freeride bike (until it got stolen). It was awsome downhill and jumping but I was getting sick of being left behind on all the climbs. So I bought the Marin knowing it as a very good lightweight cross country bike. Didn't stop me riding it like the GT at first though; with the result that I buckled the back wheel (easily straightened) and it's still debateable whether the frame is actually bent or not... But then, I'm being unfair and this should be judged as a lightweight xc ride not a freerider up for massive drop-offs. As a lightweight xc it is very good. Bike is very lightweigt and there is hardly any bob when pedalling (got active traction control according to the stickers, don't ya know!). It almost feels like I'm cheating when I fly up those climbs! Weaknesses: Narrow flat bar was a nightmare; made it very fidgety and a bit uncomfortable. Riser bars (lightweight of course by x-lite; highly recommended) are a must buy; more comfortable and a whole lot easier to ride down steps for example. I also think that the drive chain is a bit penny-pinching. Shifters just aren't anywhere as nice as the XT I had on the GT - the shift is longer and less precise (and you can only drop 3 not 4 gears on the rear) and the mech's (LX) just don't compare to the XT and XTR I spolit myself with before. No disc specific hubs a bit of a shame as well. Bottom line... You want a lightweight fast, comfortable, well balanced xc bike - look no further. Just don't expect to be able to downhill like Steve Peat and prepare yourself for having to spend a few bob upgrading a few components.

Similar Products Used: GT LTS-2 custom build.
    Raymond Cox   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2000]
    Strength:

Great frame geometry; pretty good weight to price ratio; Non painted frame (for a offroad ride, I'd rather have money spent else where on the bike then on a pretty paint job)

Brake levers have a 'cheap' feel to them. Fox float rear shock has ONLY air pressure adjustibilty - no rebound adj.

Even though there are a few lower/cheap components hung on the bike, I'm still very pleased with this bike. On the rough steep climbs the bike excells! Compared to my old hard tail (Marin Pine Mountain) climbing on the rough stuff just doesn't require the concentration as the hard tail does. I still love my hard tail bike and I it looks like I've picked another winner with this full suspension bike too.

Dave Whybrew   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2000]
    Strength:

well designed frame geometry. sprints well. frame seems pretty strong. Float rear shock soaks up the hits well.

cheap brakes and levers, no end of problems with MARS shocks

Now that the MARS 1 forks have been replaced along with the crappy brakes, levers and flat bars with bar ends, it is a great bike, which bears little resemblence to the original XC bike, its a much heavier free ride bike that can be ridden up most things. Bobs a bit on flat uphills but will chew up technical rocky ascents with ease. I'm fairly light 68kg and the setup seems to be able to take quite a bit of abuse, 2-3' drops and the like. The rear shock has taken some big hits and the air pressure hasn't dropped at all. It will fairly comfortably accomodate a 2.3 tyre. If I did it all again I'd buy the frame alonec and spec it out separately.
    In retrospect this probably wasn't the bike for me, it is much more suited to more of a pure XC rider who isn't interested in throwing it off drop offs or hammering the local down hill tracks.
    Incidentally the 5" of travel in the Dropoff are superb I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
    It is dissapointing that cheap componentry was used on the bike.

Similar Products Used: GT Tempest
    steve   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2000]
    Strength:

Great Frame, a good reasonable mix of parts, and the suspension works really well when setup correctly.

Wheels, price is fixed in the UK because of no dealer competition(price above is UKP).

This is one great bike, and it would get a 5 straight awey if it wasn't for the dodgy wheels.

The first back wheel was swapped because of build damage to the rim, I didn't spot it at first but Marin UK (ATB sales) swapped it in less than 24 Hours, so that was okay.

Then a couple of months later the spokes started snapping all the time on the drive side, the shop is sorting me out with a re-build which suits me, but its been back 4 times now. Speaking to others confirms what I felt, the spokes when combined with a factory built wheel are just not upto the job, and Marin doesn't seem to have a good enough quality control to spot this. £10 say they dump these spokes for next year.

and after that moan, I would still buy the same bike again! Everything else has been perfect.

Marin , sort out the wheels, and stop the illegal price fixing (yes we all know you do it), then you will have a perfect bike.

Similar Products Used: orange
    KORY BENNETT   Weekend Warrior [Aug 19, 2000]
    Strength:

LIGHT, SWIFT

FOX REAR SHOCK, HOOPTY. TIRES NOT THE BEST FOR FLYING DOWN A HILL.

I LIKE THE BIKE A LOT. THERE ARE A FEW COMPONENTS I LIKE TO CHANGE FOR BETTER, BUT THE BIKE FRAME I REALLY LIKE. AS FOR THE FOX VANILLA SHOCK. I'M JUST NOT A BIG FAN. MAYBE I'D LIKE THE NEXT MODEL UP. THE ONE WITH ADJUSTABLE REBOUND.

FOUR FLAMIN EAST L.A. HOMES.

Similar Products Used: ROCK HOPPER
    Peter   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2000]
    Strength:

Excellent control over slippery roots, large shale. Lightweight, looks expensive

Crappy brakes

My wife bought me this as an early present for getting my PhD- which I won't submit until 2001! Took it to Belgium and cycled the Ardennes. Coo is the highest point in Belgium. Great trails, very testing. First time with SPDs, but the bike was fantastic as it was torrential over roots with shear drops on one side and wild boar on the other. If you try this trail for the first time and you're not an expert, this is the bike that'll give you confidence.

Similar Products Used: none- previous bike Muirwoods 98
    Eric Nelson   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2000]
    Strength:

This thing is smooth, light, and well balanced!!! I flew over stuff that would have beat me to death on my old hardtail. I am very impressed with the Answer Manitou Mars front suspension, as well as the Fox unit on the back...just a well balanced combination.

When I find any I will let you know...so far none.

First off I would like to state that I am a 28 year old 5ft. 10 in. 195 lb. rider with a long upper body and shorter legs, and this bike fits me perfectly.
    Now with that out of the way...I went on one of the roughest, trails that I have ever been on yesterday...the bike was unstoppable...it felt very stable going over tree roots, muddy areas, and some sand. The rift zone climbs like a mountian goat. This trail was up and down the whole way, and the Rift Zone felt very at home.
    I tried to imagine doing this trail with a Hard Tail...it would have been nothing other than pure pain...if you like to beat up and down plenty of nasty single trac trails...with jumps, logs, and plenty of other stuff in your path you will love this bike. Thumbs up for the 2000 Marin Rift Zone.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn, GT, and some others I test rode.
    Kurtis Anderson   Cross Country Rider [Jan 24, 2001]
    Strength:

It's not to heavy.So far seems like a good setup.

Components.The LX,Deore setup just didn't quite do the job.

Very happy with it.Shifts so much smoother with shifters and cable combo.XT disks on front almost throw me over the bars.The rear XT V-brake is so strong that it flexes the brake stays.Awesome.Next is XT disk brakes with Bontrager race disk wheels.Maybe a psylo shock on the front.

Similar Products Used: Last bike was 96 GT Zaskar with full XT.Still had cantilever brakes and everthing.Traded it in for the Marin.