Kona 2000 Manomano Full Suspension Bike

Kona 2000 Manomano Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

[Feb 20, 2003]
Joey Kangaroo

Strength:

Good rear wheel traction, plush suspension, stable geometry, fairly good wheels and good descending capability.

It is really hard to set the right saddle height. The saddle itself is bizarre. The stock fork is kinda OK, but it certainly lacks adjustability. So I changed my fork to Manitou black comp already. It is really plush and versatile. The frame does not come with a disc tab. Seatpost diameter is weird, 27.0 ????? What the hell is this? Wheels are not dic compatible. So you have to get a new front wheel to accommodate the only possible front disc brake. There is some degree of pedal bobbing, not a whole lot. It is kinda heavy uphill, but that is not really a big deal. It weighs around 28.8 lbs. with XT components, Black fork and frog pedals. It will certainly weigh more in the future because I will change from frog pedals to Time Z(wih more platform for technical downhill section.) Frog pedals themselves are OK. But I hate the cleats, they gather mud too easily. And when they do, it is damn hard to clip in.

Bang for the bucks !!! I got this brand new babe at the price of 850 bucks with stock components. I paid 250 extra for the fork. I will certainly get a better FS in the future, but now I will stick with whatever I can afford. We all have to be self-sufficient, don't we? Have a safe ride.

This is my first FS.

[Oct 17, 2001]
David

Strength:

Confidence inspiring rear suspension(w/ Cane Creek AD-12), PLUSH over rough trails, Component mix is not too bad, Not too much flex, tires had good traction.

SDG saddle was a killer(changed to a Trek Gel seat), a little heavy going uphill, tires wear out too fast, Judy XC fork limits the possibilities of this bike, seatpost clamp was weak & snapped,

The bottom line for this bike (for me) is that I have no regrets about buying it. I am 5'10" 215lb & push the limits of this bike. The guy who sold it to me said it was a 16" frame, but it turned out to be a 14" small. Although it is the wrong size for me, it is still "FUN AS HELL". Adding a 4" fork and a better rear shock unleashes the potential that the MANOMANO has. It bombs down Cactus Run without any worries and handles any type of trail thrown at it. Eventually I upgrade to another bike due to size issues, but otherwise I love this bike!

None, First Full Suspension Bike

[Oct 04, 2001]
CODY THIBAULT
Downhiller

Strength:

SOLID FRAME,GOOD RISERS,AWSOME ACCEDNDING BEAST (EVEN BETTER DECENDING)

REAR SHOCK CRACKED ON EITHER SIDE,TIRES WEAR OUT,GRIPS WEAR OUT, BENT RIMS

IT'S BEEN A GOOD BIKE,NOT REALLY A DOWNHILL OR FREERIDE BIKE, PRETTY MUCH JUST A CROSS COUNTRY BIKE

NONE YET

[Oct 04, 2001]
Jeff Woodford
Downhiller

Strength:

Ridged frame, handles big bumps well, excellerates very quickly, cranks, shocks arnt bad

Tioga XC front tyre is bollocks,washes out on nealy every type of corner, little heavy, dodgy brakes

used to ride a ridged bike then got this and was totaly amased, this bike flys down steps, takes rough downhills well, and soaks up those hard landing very well, judy xc doesnt always seem to work that well on various set ups might well change to a different shock, but this bike will deffinately go anywhere and come back. Well impressed. If you love riding all kinds of trails all day this is the one for you.

old proflex fs,

[Jul 14, 2001]
Deth M'Sheen

Strength:

Tough as nails

Kinda Heavy

I love this bike. I feel totally confident going up or down. It handles well, and soak up bumps without any noticable bob. I've crashed numerous times (mainly because I'm a begginer) and to my great surprise, it hasn't damaged anything but my body. This is one tough bike.

Schwinn Rocket 88
Cannondale Lefty

[May 24, 2000]
Steve Sambrano

Strength:

Great suspension! Super strong frame. Good components, and handles great. I've launched from 3-4 feet with no problem. Plush riding!

Uhhhh!!! Only time will tell.

This bike kicks ass! I'm addicted to riding it! It would be a great bike for racing, as it is a very fast bike. I love how riged the bike handles as it seems to handle all that I give it. It gives me confidence to ride practically the roughest trails. This bike would be great for novice riders, to learn how to become a great rider. Don't get me wrong, this bike is also good for advanced riders. It goes fast and handles technical areas real good. I think it climbs great with the 27 gears that it has. Definitly, fun riding!

Trek full suspention bikes, Raleigh 7500, GT 4000, Marin Trail Rider, Giant Warp.

[Jun 14, 2001]
Nils

Strength:

Nice frame with a nice set of equipment. The judy works well. The fox-damper could be a little bit more plush. The bike works well on both climbs and downhills, but it has a tendency to get a little bit nervous on fast descents.

Weak chainrings, to much flex in the frame (but I am a 280 pound rider). Weak brakes, should come with the same ones as the stinky. The seatpost is too weak and the saddle's bushings have a tendency to squeak, which can be mildly irritating if you have a long way to the nearest bottle of bikelube.

This is a really good bike for people who can't decide if they are all-out XC rider or if they like to freeride. The bike is too heavy too be a racing bike. But the people buying the bike are probably the ones who want a bike that works for climbs, XC and some light downhilling. Overall I think Kona has managed to make a really good all-around bike. This is a bike for those riders who want to do it all but want to stay from XC or freeriding extremes. Kona will push this concept next year, but I think this is one step in the right direction.

Kona Stinky, Specialized FSR

[Jun 11, 2001]
andrew mclennan

Strength:

bouncy and takes everything that you throw at it...

fairly heavy and slow corners

having been riding a rigid wor ages this bike was very nice and easy to jump. it let me do things i never thought possible. i now spend my time looking for drop-offs, staircases and jumps that i can challenge myself with.
it managed to clear seven steps in without any worries, that i know of. it is harder to bunny hop because of its weight but it goes fast and you can go high enough to clear most obstacles(gutters mainly). i upgraded the back tyre to a kujo which is nice and tough and keeps my back wheel stuck down. it just loves technical dh type riding, but dosn't handle fast corners too well (or maybee thats just me). oh well all i can say is that this bike will advance your skills and push you to the limmits of your riding capabilities.

[Jan 18, 2001]
Buddy, The Rainbow Warrior

Strength:

Great colorr. Drop bars look great.

Frame design. Fox Shock.

My experience has been that the bike is FABULOUS on the road but not that great in the dirt. First, the chainstays cracked on both sides in identical spots. Kona made me pay shipping of the part and labor to install. Treated me like i was their b**ch! Then the shock compressed and would not extend. Fox will more than likely treat me likewise. I would buy a Specialized if I had it to do all over again.

Awesome Specialized FSR.

[Dec 09, 2000]
J-Roc

Strength:

Heavy duty frame.Respectable weight.Every thing works smooth as silk.

Kona brand components are really strong but a little on the heavy side.Rock Shox Judy has nice travel but weighs a ton.
Avid low-end brakes suck!Levers rattle and click.Brakes have excessive right from the start.

Ecellent bike for the $.Good solid bike!