Kona 1999 Stinky Dee-Lux Full Suspension Bike

1999 Stinky Dee-Lux

1999 Kona Stinky Dee-Lux, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore XT/XTR components, Marzocchi Jr. T, 5.0" travel fork

Dan McFetridge   [Jun 07, 2003]
Strength:

Good front and rear suspension. Great for drops and jumps.

Weak rear triangle. Kona customer service.

Great overall bike for price. Great suspension, holds up well on big drops. Only bottoms out over 6-7 feet. Could use better rear trinagle, it seems to bend easily. Great if you are going to do drops and some big jumps. Great for step-ups(good preload capabilities).

Similar Products Used: Orange MrO, Stinky, RM6
Pete Austin   Downhiller [Jan 16, 2002]
Strength:

All. Colour, ride, handling, rear shock and looks.

None that I have come across.

Bought as frame only in 2000 as it was reduced after snapping yet another frame. It was the break I needed (pardon the pun).This bike takes you to the zone and keeps you there. It was plush out of the box but with the BETD plates on the back(6.5") it eats every thing I have thrown at it including very large rock fields and 2m drops. BUY THE LONG TRAVEL PLATES THEY ARE VERY VERY GOOD. This frame set is ideal for 'freeridin'(what a silly term) and UK DH. Resssspect to our brothers and sisters who live in the States and mainland Europe where the DH courses are everything we dream of, buy a frame dedicated to largness. I don't think this frame could deal with that sort of riding. For my needs it rules the roost.

Similar Products Used: proflex, FSR, Coyotte, Super 8.
Adam Hawker   Downhiller [Apr 16, 2001]
Strength:

Out of the box it seems awsome and the paintwork is out of this world.

READ ON FELLOW PEOPLE!!!

Right then...DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!
1st:Snapped Rear Triangle (near weld on the driveside)
2nd:Blew the Shock
3rd:Cranks Rounded off
4th:Snapped Rear Triangle (same as before)
5th:Seat clamp fell apart
6th:Cracked the JrT's (no lies there,they did actually snap)
7th:Cracked the Downtube (behind the shock)
8th:Again cracked the Downtube

I went through 2 rear ends and 2 front ends on this frame in the space of 12months. Kona were terrible for replacing it...they sent the rear end from a Stinky to go onto the front end on my Stinky Dee-Lux and this took AGES.No rubbish each time the frame went it took about 2months to get it replaced which left me bikeless for a long time. The other parts that failed on it were replaced very quickly, espiecally from Marzocchi (all praise due). The bikes a complete sham and wont last you too long...i'm only a small guy weighing 9stone. STAY AWAY FROM KONA they need to get their act sorted!

Similar Products Used: Orange MrO - So much better
Matt Butler   Downhiller [Jul 22, 2000]
Strength:

Outstanding cornering, and fast acceleration, big hit capability, and stutter travel both out of this world, great fun and you can ride it all day.

Pivots just above chainstay's wear, but cheap to replace

Buy this frame, I race mine, and its never put a foot wrong. It eats up drops, but still stutters well. Haven't broken it yet, and everyone calls me a nutter. Standard brakes were a bit poor, should be discs as standard, but the hopes have totally transformed it. Forks are well suited to the frame, and the whole package feels nice and balanced, if a bit heavy. I am still running three rings at the front, but if you race lots, swop to a DH device. Cranks are great, even though I've been through three B/B's now, but other than that, Its GREAT BUY IT!

Similar Products Used: Orange MrO, Patriot, stinky, and 00 Dee-Lux
Paul   Downhiller [Jul 04, 2000]
Strength:

Fantastic out of the box and a year later I think I've got it dialed. Climbing may be slow, but she climbs, yes siree she sure does climb. After the pause that refreshes the Stinky loves a point and shoot offence.

It took a year, but I finally broke the rear triangle thingy. No Big Deal. Luckily I was in Vancouver and the "dudes" at the COVE might not be able to speak in complete sentences, but they had my bike fixed within 24 hours with (drumroll) no-charge! Should have come with disc brakes as standard (way back in 99 that is).

This bike is my friend. It seems to keep getting heavier as I add this and that, but my enjoyment level from riding is increasing exponentially. This bike lives in the Alps, but just spent 5 weeks touring BC with me - probably the best traveling companion you could have. If only you could teach a Kona a few of those circus tricks/yoga positions that are so handy for relieving stress after a hard ride. I spent a lot of money, and I'm still spending money, but it has been worth it. This bike has contributed to my quality of life - bottom line!

Similar Products Used: RM6, Santa Cruz Bullit, Pipeline etc.
Andrew   Weekend Warrior [May 10, 2000]
Strength:

It is a nice Frame but...

Kona customer service

The bottom line is that the stinky is a great frame, when in one piece. I broke mine after 3 months, and I don't weigh more than 165 lbs. My bike shop received the frame immediately and the Kona rep was even in the store at the time. Well here I am 4 weeks later and I hear the frame "just" got to Kona??! They aren't replacing the frame either, simply repairing the rear triangle. The welds were suspect to start with. They have it in front of them but they said they won't ship it for another week at least, then another two weeks for me to get it back. That'll be over a month without a bike for a guy who rode every day and planned to race and promote Kona bikes. I guess my bottom line is the bike is awesome, just don't break it!! I'm ordering a different frame and Kona has just lost a once loyal customer.

Similar Products Used: As mentioned below
Lewis Matheson   Downhiller [Apr 28, 2000]
Strength:

Quality, the warranty, classy.

Not very to fit an MRP chain guide to. Rear mech Hanger bent after one run a DH course.

I bought the Frame only, and as it was last years model it was being sold off cheap. The weekend after I got it I raced at the toughest, rockiest course in Innerleithen, here I crashed a lot and theres now five areas of the frame where the paint is missing-but at leasts its been run in. The back feels as if theres more than 5", but I will be getting BETD plates soon to take it to 6.5". It really is an awesome frame and it seems strong enough so far (10ft drops have acheived at the local quarry by me). If you've got the money you should buy one.

Andrew   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2000]
Strength:

Well when new the bike did feel really plush, the RC shock was nice. I have ridden the bike for about 2 months and it worked great. I did however snap the left rear chainstay right at the weld. We ride some drops, about 3-5 feet max, the bike wasn't even raced yet. The colour was wicked and the ride was very sweet. My hayes on the back may have stressed the weld but there is no way a bike that new should break, I only weigh 160lbs!!

Weak rear triangle??, just be careful. And the bushings at the back above the chainstays tend to wear and the plushness goes away, cheap to replace though.

Great bike, serious machine, not too heavy to climb with in my opinion. But.... watch those rear welds and replace the rear bushings at least every 6 months..

Similar Products Used: Kona Manomano, 99 stinky, 00 stinky dee-lux, dudu, rocky pipeline, 4-banger.
Chris Hanna   Downhiller [Apr 06, 2000]
Strength:

I love this bike. Its so Solid. But when its so strong it comes with a price, WEIGHT!!!!

W.E.I.G.H.T and the crappy xtr xt and all that shimano crap.
LONG LIVE SRAM!!

KONA BIKES RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF U LOVE GREEN GET IT !!! IF U DONT STILL GET IT!!!!