KHS 2001 FXT Comp Full Suspension Bike

KHS 2001 FXT Comp Full Suspension Bike

[Feb 11, 2003]
Rick

Strength:

Relatively light for a dualie. The bomber forks are excellent.
You are instantly twice as sexy when you sit on this bike.

Rear wheel spokes - found the cheap stock spokes that come with the bike are too weak on the rear wheel. First spoke break get it respoked with better ones.
Rear brakes were problematic on some bikes. Apparently KHS funded a free brake upgrade deal for those having trouble with stock brakes.
Girlfriend gets jealous of all the attention you attract.

This is a great bike - you won't regret getting one, especially if you get the quad piston grimeca brakes.
I use the bike for everything - long road rides, commuting to work every day, riding single track in the forest, and lots of uphill riding (don't get put off by people telling you dualies are no good for uphill riding - I do lots and it doesn't detract at all).
Beware of how sexy you will become... I have heard of marriages breaking up after getting one of these bikes.

Riding a bit on friends' bikes.

[Oct 29, 2001]
David

Strength:

Excellent full suspension set up. Great price. Other than minor inconveniences related to brake set up mentioned below I have had no problems. Climbs great and I only notice the added weight of full sus when I have to hike it (thankfully this is uncommon)

I changed from the Grimeca hydraulic discs to Avid mechanical discs mainly because I found the Avid's much easier to adjust in field (I routinely remove my front wheel to place bike in SUV to take to trails).

Great bike for the money for cross country rider looking to upgrade to full suspension and disc brakes (both of which I have found I miss when I switch back to my XT hard tail). If you can get your bike shop to swap out the hydraulics for mechanical discs you may find it an easier transition from V's in terms of maintenaince. The full suspension is great and the weight mainly is noticed is putting the bike in the car or on the rack.

I also have a KHS steel hard tail with XT components that I like quite a bit. I tested Cannondale, GT full sus bikes on road

[Jan 18, 2002]
Jim Lathom

Strength:

Price
Looks

Rear shock
Front Shock
Weight
Brakes

This bike is all show and no go. It looked great: FSR style rear suspension, Marzocci (sp) Z1 fork, disc brakes, ect, but it rode like a Huffy. The rear shock would hardly move when pumped up and then sagged a like a 70 year old stripper when run low. Had the same problem with the Z1 fork. Could never find a pressure that worked. The Grimeca disks were weak and dragged. I promptly sold it on Ebay and went back to my tried and true Proflex.

Proflex 857

[Sep 15, 2001]
Jay

Strength:

the frame has held up to everything so far. the forks are super nice. good componentry on the bike. handels downhills very good. for a full suspension bike it goes up hill pretty good too.

the rear shock. if there's one thing wrong with the bike it's the rear shock. in one day i blew out the shock and bent the rear rim. the peadles are way to skinny too.
also the people who are behind this product are not the most talented in returning phone messages. my rear shock has been blown out for a few weeks and i just recently got a hold of the guy at KHS.

the bottom line on this bike is it is real light and everything works very well, except the rear shock. if u do buy this bike put a better rear shock on it.

[Jun 10, 2001]
Geordie

Strength:

Value!! You get a FS/XC bike ( 4" front and back ) hydraulic disk brakes and a decent component package for under $1500.00 bucks. Anything else in this class was at least $300.00 buck more. I use this bike for everything from communting to freeriding. If you can only afford one bike, this is a good choice. It has taken all the abuse I have handed it no problems at all.

I have found the grimeca system 1 hydraulic disk brakes a little labour intensive. I've had to bleed my front brakes a couple of times. This is usually after a day of serious down hill fun.

If you are a weekend warrior and love blasting down some single track, free riding or cross country, and you want a full suspension bike but you are on a budget, this bike offers a lot of bang for your buck.

GT 2.0 i-drived, Specialized FSR Enduro, Jamis Dakar Comp

[Aug 22, 2001]
Shane Johnson

Strength:

Very comfortable ride with great suspension setup for the weekend warrior. Rides and handles like a dream. Easy to get used to. All componants are easy maintence.

None at this stage.

If you have to make a choice, make the right one and buy one. You will not regret it.

I used a Merida Dominator, but it just does not compare.

[Jul 14, 2002]
Lil' JayJay

Strength:

I stole this bike last year from my local bike shop. It accelerates like nobodies business. I can get away from the cops like whoa.

Misses a shift sometimes when I'm trying to evade the po-po. Bright yellow paint doesn't help when i'm trying to sneek into the half-way house past curfew. No passenger seat for my lil' chicadeez. Hops like a biatch when you slam on the back brake due to it's bustedass stock shock son.

I like this bike. I'll steal another one if iget the chance. Bottom line is that this bike is a major baby-mama magnet son.

I've stolen so many bikes i can't keep track. If you need something just e-mail me.