KHS 2000 Team ST Full Suspension Bike

KHS 2000 Team ST Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 Super Fly fork

[Apr 09, 2004]
Bill

Strength:

Price, very well spec'd, light, strong....isnt that the best case scenerio when reviewing ANY trail bike?

Absolutely None after 4 years and over 10,000 miles of riding!

After all these years I am still in love with this bike. The low maintenence rear shock is just the ticket to take the edge off, while the zoke z2 up front is light, and soaks up everything an aggressive trail rider can throw at it. It rides like a steel hardtail on sedatives. It's very responsive, climbs well, descends like a champ and is more forgiving than I expected. Thank you KHS for making an affordable top of the line product that rides like a much more expensive bike. You have earned a loyal customer and I intend to purchase an 04 FR1500 very soon.

They arent really similar, but my previous bikes were a GT avalanche and before that a specialized rockhopper.

[Aug 02, 2001]
Ryan

Strength:

Awesome components, responsive, tough, good climber, soft tail, excellent value

A little heavy at 26 pounds, would rather have time pedals.

This bike kicks a$$. I found an awesome deal at pricepoint.com. The components alone would run $2000. IT is smooth over the rough stuff thanks to one of the best xc forks available and the soft tail with almost 1" of travel. Keeps tires on the ground and climbs better than a hardtail in my opinion. It is quick and tough....and if you haven't been on a steel frame in a while, try it, it is much smoother. The disc brakes were broken in after about 10 miles, now they stop on a dime. Seem to take more punishment than hayes (especially the levers).

Upgrade the three LX components and the bike has no weaknesses. Just like another review, the rear dampener must be taken apart right away, lubed very well, and then covered. Two lizard skin headset covers work great. My rear shock was creaking...but after I took it apart it's like butta.

Don't pass up this bike. My racing improved dramatically, and it keeps getting better. I couldn't be happier. 5 flamin' chilis for this bad boy.

Giant nrs 1, Klien, Trek, Gary Fisher

[Mar 16, 2001]
Scott V

Strength:

Excellent frame for the money...

Built up this bike dirt cheap, buying the '99 frame from PricePoint, and a component package from Wheelworld, (along with a few components purchased locally and a few from my old hardtail). I have used Will's advice of using a suspension seatpost. I took the rockshox suspension seatpost off of my old hardtail, and it feels great. I am a cross-country rider in Hawaii... this bike (with the SID 100) is serving me nicely!

[Dec 21, 2000]
JP

Strength:

Top components, value for the buck, steel frame, and some really bad ass looks!

Looks so good, don't want to get it dirty!

As a newbie to the sport, I got one heck of a deal from Universal Cycles (check them out universalcycles.com) I searched all my local stores and no one could match their prices!

The bike is awesome! Light, sturdy, great looks to boot!

The components that come stock are amazing. I could have only dreamed of getting a bike with these top components before. The Marzocchi air fork is easy to adjust, feels great on the trail, and the rear elastomer soaks up the bumps really well. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs, and the bike feels firm under me. I've tried all sorts of high end demos and never really liked the way they felt. I thought I was really going to do some damage to those more exotic bikes- Trek, Schwinn etc. This KHS Team ST will be with me for a long time to come!

[May 27, 2001]
tom

Strength:

steel, handling, value for money

ordinary tyres, no v brake option, ghost shifting (see below)

In a world dominated by aluminium it's nice to see a cool but affordable steel bike being proudly promoted by a big company - and you happily ride Taiwanese in this country given the absurd prices we are charged for framesets made in the US. I got my st after riding full suspension for a few years; the softtail is definitely NOT full suspension, more like an enhanced level of compliancy. As for the issue of weight, I kind of like the feeling that my bike will last more than one season.

I only have two real problems:

1) why no conventional brake mount option on the frame? I love the XT discs but I'm not a huge brake fiend and would prefer the lower weight of vees;

2) unless the rear mech has just been perfectly dialled in, I get some ghost shifting on fast, bumpy singletrack. Anybody else noticed this? It drives me a little crazy given the otherwise great performance. Could it be caused by flex from the soft tail action?

If not for these, this bike would pretty well rate a five.

[Apr 26, 2001]
Chris

Strength:

Light, rigid, amazing component group, good looking, nice cockpit, great fork, can't find a cheap part on it. XT disc brakes, Z2 X-Fly fork.

I know it's a soft tail, but at 145lbs it may as well be a hard tail. Needs more adjustability in the rear.

A great looking, riding and handling bike at an awesome price (the wheels, brakes, and fork alone would cost nearly what I paid) with a component group that makes it essentially race-ready. Not a beginner's bike, definitely not for those looking for a plush tail.

Schwinn Homegrown hard tail

[Apr 30, 2001]
Max

Strength:

All around INCREDIBLE deal. A race quality bike for entry level price. No lateral flex. Climbs and descends with firm ease. Light and wrought with quality components.

Rear shock does not get alot of travel (about 3/4 inch)
Rear Shock gets messed up easily... need to cover it and lube it.

2000 2000 KHS Team ST Soft Red/White

Purchase Price: $1199.00
Savings: $1630.00

[Nov 08, 2000]
Daniel Yap

Strength:

The bike is well speced with great parts. Really nothing that needs improving on.. for now at least. Until the next chi chi upgrade fever comes along.

A little heavy. The weight seems to come from the back so it must be the rear damper unit. Also the LX front shifter lacks the quickness in shifts from the smaller to bigger rings. It is a really long throw. The very abrasive XT disc brake hoses rub on the frame. Lastly the decals are low quality and will probably peel off soon... a clear coat should have been considered.

Love it so far. The bike feels stiff and accelerates well. However, the rear softail suspension does not seem to soak up the bumbs as well as I had hoped. My old Litespeed felt more complient somehow. So don't really know if the added weight of having the damper unit is actually worth it... will let you know.

The Xfly front fork is excellent. No bobbing under acceleration and soaks up the bigger bumbs well. However, air forks will always loose out on the buttery smoothness of the spring and oil damped systems.

The XT disc brakes still have not bedded in yet so, I cannot really comment on the stopping power. But I believe it will be good.... till next time!

Been shopping around for a long time for a new bike and I think the team ST is one of the best speced bike I had come across! So...

5 flaming chilli popiahs for value!
4 as an overall rating

Litespeed OBED

[Aug 01, 2000]
Will Temple

Strength:

Bang for the buck. If I could give this frame 6 or more stars for value I would.

Better availability of tuning bumbers. Frame could be lighter.

I bought this frame to try out the soft tail concept. Found my butt took a little more of a beating than my ti hardtail with a USE suspension post. So I put a USE on the KHS and fell in love. When peddling, I actually like the small amount of springy travel. It does'nt waste any energy. I'm just as fast as my hardtail at the local race courses if not faster. I think the frame makes up for the extra weight (4.8 lbs vs 3.2 lbs - I've weighed both) in lower rolling resistance. I must admit that I tossed the stock bumper for a softer bumper from an old Scott fork. The stock bumper was to stiff for my weight. I also put a foam shock booty on and lube it up with dry lube to keep the dirt out. So far, nothing but smooth, quiet, and trouble free. All I want in life is this frame - but lighter. this frame has got to be the best deal going!!!

I've tried almost all the exotic bikes: Moots YBB, Mantra, BowTi, FSR etc.

[Oct 05, 2001]
Brian

Strength:

Value. The XT disc brakes rock. When me and the gang go mudding, I have no problems with them gunking up or stopping. The other guys with the V's have a much harder time with them. The suspension I think is just right for all around use.

Welds on the Kore stem make clicking noises. Rear shock is very simplistic- gets dirty very easily and even when it is clean and lubed I can feel it binding through my seat. The Marzzochi X-fly 100 z2 fork has some lateral play - which annoyes me. The brake cables rub against the fork and frame - I used plastic wire insulators to solve that problem, but I still had to use zip ties to affix the cable to the frame. What have others done to secure the brake cables? The dorky down tube with it's Delta construction looks weak.

The bottom line is that this bike is a tremendous value and it is a solid performer with decent components. It has it's flaws but nothing that a few upgrades couldn't take care of. This bike is ideal for the weekend warrior as well as XC racer.

Trek 930 singletrack