KHS 1999 FXT Trail Full Suspension Bike

1999 KHS FXT Trail, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 260, 2.5" travel fork

Anticitizen   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2011]
Strength:

frame, wheels, shifters (stock alivio), no corrosion anywhere after 6 yrs of use...nothing loose after long time of riding it

Rear shock and forks...too little travel for a FS bike

great and sturdy bike but rear shock was lousy since day one, mozo vibe r fork stopped working after 5 yrs, so i replaced it with 130 mm forks (still can't say will the frame hold travel increase) shifters and derailleurs are great after 6 year with minimum maintenance, crank set is a bit creeky but still works fine. great fun bike and can really withstand all kind of punishment such as rough off road, jumps, wheelies, endos...(at least from 65kg rider)
for a mid range price great choice...to bad they don't make this exact model anymore :)

mrybllngs   Weekend Warrior [May 04, 2009]
Strength:

bike looks good

The forks snapped as I came down from a small jump. When I hit, the impact cracked the frame. This is the second KHS bike to break on me.

This bike sucks and I will never but another KHS again.

Drew   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2001]
Strength:

not much its alright for an entry level bike it has lasted throgh a good beating

wast of money on the rear shock you would be better off using the money towords an entry level hardtial the basic component are worth a small upgrade for the amount you paid for the rear shock i quickly destroed the rear rim and cashed out 170 for a new downihill rim that assured me nothing will hapen to it this time after a year of hard riding i feel its not worth mantaining and ill just need to buy a new bike but i am sticking with khs. I ve onlly been doing 2 foot drops with it lately but it creeks and crackles underneathme every time i hit the ground.
the housing has already began to crack and split open making shifting and braking harder than it should be

the bike has done a good job it didn't last to long but it worked i would have preferd a hardtail over this but i plan on buying i new khs fxt lt3 so i have no problems with khs i just don't think much of that bike. so on the bottom line if i had a second choice to buy it i wouldnt. and i do not sugest this bike to anyone. KHS is not riping u off for this bike its actually a good price but the money put towards the rear shock could be spent on better things.

Similar Products Used: entry level peogeat (or however u spell it) im envious i wish i bought this instead its a entry level bike to but instead of being a full suspension bike its a hardtail with better components. really there is nothing so big and hard that you would be better off doing it with the khs
Tim Lyakhovetskiy   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 1999]
Strength:

Great frame, soft shocks, the V brakes are amazing, and definitely good for its price. Has a very smooth ride, and can pull off any trick you can possibly do on an MTB.

Hard seat. Sometimes, you get the feeling you're going to flip over when it hits a bump with the back wheel because of the frame orientation.

F*cking amazing for the value. I bought it for $350 at Performance Bikes.

Similar Products Used: Some crappy old Huffy my friend gave me.
Craig   Downhiller [Apr 29, 2001]
Strength:

Shimano components, they aren't XTR, but they aren't bad....and the shock is perfect for me, feels great when I ride it.

none so far

For the price, this is a good bike, but I highly reccommend changing the rear shock if this bike is purchased, very good frame otherwise

Similar Products Used: Haro Escape A4, Specialized Stumpjumper A1 FS Comp
J. Edward   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2000]
Strength:

Shimano parts- good shifting, smooth ride due to mid-line shock components.

rims went out of true quickly, upgraded to Mavic's for the trail, and put slicks on the stock rims for commuting and lite trail use.

I love to bike. For a 32 year old, weighing 190 lbs, this bike rides smooth. I was experiencing the chain falling off the front, if this is happening to you, I suggest that you watch your speed when shifting. Once I figured out the correct speeds, I haven't had a problem. I average 20 to 30 miles commuting on this bike, and ride from May to Sept/Oct in Oregon. The biggest regret was that I did not buy the FXT Sport- which had better components. I probably would not have had a problem with the rims. Haven't had a problem since I upgraded though. I haven't had any problems with the shocks, as others have had.
If you are looking at getting into mountain biking and want to get into a full suspension- this is the bike for you.

Similar Products Used: old beat-up 1987 hardtail
JT Money   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2000]
Strength:

Its Pretty.

Shifter

If you weigh over 200 lbs. please don't but this bike. I have had it for about 2 weeks. It is a hell of a lot of fun to ride but......the chain broke, the rear shock is so weak that my big ass compresses the whole shock so that the chain rubs on the frame. The font shock is no better. Two of my friends bought the bike the same day I did and they are a lot smaller than I am but I have heard simmilar complaints from them.. You GET what you pay for.

Similar Products Used: My He-Man Bigwheel
Jer Gomez   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2000]
Strength:

Great shifters, good brakes, good components overall. nice looking

hard seat

I'd buy it again! great on the trails. Great price!! It rocks (a friend is currently scraping up to get one)