K2 Bike 2000 EVO 4.0 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Noleen Mega Air, 4.0" travel fork

Joel   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

The frame is tough, well designed. Light and fast

The stock Noleen NR-1 shock is a joke... No rebound control. I had to junk it!

I originally built this bike with a marzocchi Z1 alloy fork and the original noleen shock. This setup was OK for smooth trails. In technical sections the lack of rebound control on the rear shock made the bike difficult to control. Changing from a 105mm fork to the 130mm dirt jumper and from the noleen to the fox shock (added about 1.5" of rear travel) changed this bike into a dream machine. Very little noticeable pedal induced bob except on extreme climbs in technical sections.

This is definately is not a XC race bike, but now it is a fun bike to take out and ride the trails (climbs well for a single pivot full suspension, but not as well as the Gary Fisher Sugar). It is efficient on uphills and BOMBS the downhills. It is good through technical sections and creek crossings.

The poor performance of the noleen shock will be reflected in the value and overall rating.
Having to change out the shock really hurts the value of an otherwise good frame.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Sugar 3, Trek 6500, various other hardtails...
Andy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

frame is well made and looks daddy, weight is OK, simple and versatile design that is great for all round riding.Efficient rear suspension that can handle abuse.K2 warranty and service.Value.

frame only so can't comment on original specs other than Noleen rear shock, which is weak.Single pivot is not the best rear suspension design. Carbon swingarm is a bit of a waste of time- dropout debonds[see below], no disc mount[see below] and no lighter than alum swingarm.

I got the frame only from Supergo and i love it. Mine is set up for light freeride, all round stuff. Climbs well for a 30lb bike, handles tech stuff and is a dream downhill. So easy to pull up, do drops and bomb through rock gardens, bobs a little but not a problem, good for single pivot.Easy to maintain.It's a fun frame, not for wt weenies or xc/racer types.OK the weaknesses, debonding dropout is a hella easy fix with two part epoxy, but it shouldn't happen.Rear disc adaptors available at a cost or can be made [check out K2/proflex riders forum].K2 replaced my swingarm with a alum one with disc adaptor FOC and no hassle when my dropout debonded.Not on sale anymore but if considering this frame I would recommend.

Similar Products Used: Dare,FSR
Jessie Carter   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2000]
Strength:

Great suspension, simple proven design. Decent initial component set-up, making it an excellent value. Good looks to boot.

Though the rest of the components range from good to great the seat post and handle bars are genric (pig iron). The Panaracer Dusters suck in wet conditions, as indicated in another post. Wish it was possible to set-up rear disc mount on the swingarm.

I haven't taken a ride on my hardtail in months. I really like this bike. I would recomend the EVO 4.0 for for any trail rider who's looking for a comfortable, quick handling full-suspension bike at a reasonable cost.

Similar Products Used: First full-suspension bike. Tested against Gary Fisher Joshua (Ha) and Gary Fisher Sugar 3 (Nice).
Tim   [Aug 29, 2000]
Strength:

Great all around bike. You can use it for casual downhill, cross country, or dual slalom. I do a bit of all of these and it works great. Great componet selection.

About a week ago my SRAM 9.0 snapped of while just pedaling on flat ground. I guess that isn't the bikes falt though. The Panaracer Duster's are weak. I'm currently running Tioga Factory DH. Much better. The rims are a little weak for Downhill/Freeride type of riding. Also there are no disc brake mounts on the carbon fiber swing arm.

A great bike to buy if you can't afford a DH bike and a xc bike. It is one of the best bikes out there for the money.

Similar Products Used: K2 Beast; Gary Fisher Sugar
Tom   Downhiller [Jun 06, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is superlight! It will launch off anything, if you like big drops or bombing on downhills get this bike, My friends and I do alot of ghetto cross, and this bike will hop up onto whatever you put in front of it!

Needs to come stock with DH rims and tires

bomb

Similar Products Used: k2 1000, specialized xc, k2 razor back
Scott   Weekend Warrior [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

I have only had this bike for about 3 weeks. So far it seems to be a great buy. This is my 1st full suspension bike but having raced motocross most of my life I wanted something I could jump and fly downhills with but still be able to ride with my wife and daughter. Climbing doesn't seem to bob at all with the shock set up for my 230lb.weight. Brakes are excellent and unaffected by mud and water. Stock tires are a little weak for soggy spring time in Ohio. Carbon fiber swingarm is trick and light. The bike as a whole is 28.3lbs. in way big size.

None so far, I'll post again in a couple months.

Great bike that seems durable and flex free. Quality components and the mega air is awesome and easy to adjust!

Similar Products Used: Wal-Mart specials
JON BRINCKMANN   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2001]
Strength:

the bike has a clean design, very comfortable to pedal on almost any situation, the dual suspension design is very thougt out, they have really done they'r homework here.
-The Mega Air shock up front is VERY rigid, so it has the most precise steering under extreme situations (32 mm stanchions) its like riding a motorcycle.
-The rear shock is super plush, you can sit and pedal all the way.
-Very good overall component combination.
-Excelent K2 mag pedals, better even than Shimano 535 I must say.
-Best Bike money can buy.

It does have a thing or two:
-If ridden fast over rugged terrain the chain slaps your beautiful Kevlar rear swingarm (ouch!), I corrected this by slipping a Tube (tire) over it (its difficult), cutting a hole for Brake boss, it look clean and protects very good, try it.
-The handlebars are only for begginers, they are too high and wide.
-The Mega Air is not very responsive over the small stuff, but I guess its okey for an Air/Air, 32mm stanchions, 3 lbs fork.

Its the best bike I've had, its built as if I had handpicked the components (exept handlebar), you'll get a lot for your dollars.
Its a bike that will go anywhere, go fast and never make you feel you got the wrong bike.
Even though others wish it had discs, trust me, you don't need those Lbs on this bike my friend, it stops on a dime.
K2 is a very good company, investing real time on their designs, they have excelent tech support (check their site).
Don't buy it if you're a Pro except as a play bike.
Thanks to TMS, excelent service.

Similar Products Used: Owned: GT LTS (Fox Alps 4 rear) and Barracuda beginners bike.
Tried: Lots of different bikes.
Trail Bomber   Weekend Warrior [Oct 01, 2002]
Strength:

Simple design, no bob, works great on everything

No adjustments on rear shock, no rear disc tab

Bottom line on this bike is that for a single pivot, it rides better than the hevily touted FSR. Honestly, the Speshy hasn't been ridden since I built my K2. This bike can do it all... its fast on the flats, no bobbing when climbing, and descends with ease. This bike can do it all... I ride anything from hardpack to rock gardens and this bike handles it.

Similar Products Used: 2000 Specialized FSR
Joe Rider   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2002]
Strength:

Unique easton carbon swingarm, HUGE pivot bearing(BIGGER THAN SANTA CLAWZ)Easton ULTRA LITE tubing covered in the most beautiful copper matallic paint job you have ever seen, really nice welds(I used to weld aluminum for 8 years)fairly aggressive geometry, steers like its on rails, simplistic single pivot design is true beauty (ask Cannondale-SantaCruz-Iron Horse-Norco-EPX or any other major single pivot frame builder)at it's best!

Noleen??? Lets face it K2 is Pro Flex when it comes to bikes, when it comes to shocks and suspension, well lets just say that "Noleen" is why most do not take "K2" as a serious name in bikes, they would do themselves as a company a HUGE favor by contracting Risse to handle all suspension duties, smart shock-NR1-NR2-blah-blah-blah they are all garbage,this quality frame warrants a REAL shock not just in house K2-Noleen BS! K2-Risse???BUILD IT! THEY WILL SELL!!!!

Your reading this because you are looking for a full suspension frame, and that one you are looking at advertised in Mountain Bike Magazine in the SuperGo page has you thinking,,right???? Why is it so cheap?? Must be something wrong with it? So you look here to findout more about it,,YOU are smart, NO it is not REAR disc compatible and YES the shock is a disgrace, now you know, if you can live with rear V-brakes and have the extra $800 you didnt spend on the Santa Cruz single pivot and use $300 of it to put a real shock on it you save $500 (for some nice components) and have a MUCH better bike than the overrated Santa cruz, one bikeshop told me $1700 for a Santa Super Light FRAME and SHOCK alone, I LAUGHED IN HIS FACE! And I am still smiling, buy and upgrade Shock and you will be to! I give it 5 flamin chilis, for the price of an EASTON U/L FRAME full sus/ even needing the shock upgrade your still WAY AHEAD!