K2 Bike 1998 Proflex 2000 Full Suspension Bike

K2 Bike 1998 Proflex 2000 Full Suspension Bike

K2 1998 Proflex 2000

[May 25, 2001]
andy

Strength:

great xc bike, noleen fork, funky orange paint

NR1 shocks, xt v-brakes

this was a great bike for the money (back in '98 was $1,000) now at $550.00 on the web it is an amazing price. the frame design is great for a FS XC. I had XT V-brakes which were the worst part (rattled, squeaked, & barely helped to stop)

I complained to K2 about the rear shock & they upgraded me to an NR2 with rebound adjustment, what a big difference. kudo's for their cust. serv.

the grease ports on the fork are a great idea.

overall the bike is a well designed bike for almost any terrain.

proflex beast, cannondale

[Dec 02, 2000]
Glen Harrod

Strength:

Good geometry, excellent front fork (tracks/responds well) very sticky in turns, excellent value for the $$. Unlike others, I really like the Panaracer tires.

Repeat from other posts: weight, tubes, saddle, stem too long. The Noleen NR1 shocks are marginal.

This is the best bike you can get in the $500 range, bar none. It is an excellent performer, and once you tune in the geometry (stem length, angle, and seat height), it is excellent. It just weighs a lot. I am having a lot of problems with my NR1 on the rear. First of all, I really wish that I had upgraded to at least an NR2 with some dampening adjustment. Secondarily, after a few good descents, there is oil leaking from the shock, which is affecting the dampening. I have heard this can be a problem with the NR1's. Otherwise, you can't beat this bike, and I really like the cross link front fork!

This is an upgrade for me from a GF Big Sur hardtail, and I am familiar with the GF Sugar 4.

[Oct 29, 2000]
Kyle

Strength:

Price. Durability. Absolutely no problems with the major components. Maintenance is easy.

Components. Stx-rc. Horrible saddle. Bad tubes (busted both front and rear in less than a week).

Great bike.

Couldn't beat the price.

After a year, this bike is still tops on my list. The weight could be a little lower (30 lbs.), but the bike rides and controls great.

[Apr 04, 2000]
Dave

Strength:

Suspension, feel, components

Heavy-30 lbs.

I have not had one problem with the suspension system on the bike. For the money, the bike has been a very good value.
I am trying to drop weight on the bike but I forsee dropping some big bucks for a new crank (STX to LX) and wheelset (SUN CR18/STX to M517/XT). This will probably run me $250 OR SO. The bike now weighs 30 lbs. I am hoping to drop to 28 lbs.

97 Proflex Reptile

[Oct 02, 1999]
Matt Allan
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Its cheap
Its strong
It looks cool

The components on it suck. I find myself having to replace shitty parts esspecialy the brakes. I hate cantilevers.

The bottom line is this is a great beginner bike. It was alot cheaper than something worth while. The frame is great but everything else sucks. The bottem line is if your interested in a full suspention bike but don't want to spend alot buy this one.

[Jul 25, 2003]
Vaikko

Strength:

This bike is ultra durable. Been riding it for 3 years now without replacing anything but tires, break pads and cables. Also added clipless pedals. I have done nothing to the front fork and it still works great. Mangled the rims several times, but am still riding them after a visit to the truing stand.

Kind of a clunker at 30 lbs, but reliable. Brakes were hard to set up right, but they're fine after a few adjustments. Replaced panracer smoke and dart with wider 2.1 width tires. Fewer pinch flats and better ride and tracking in sand.

A solid value.

[Jun 14, 2001]
DanK

Strength:

Durable, Front Suspension is key, Rear could use an upgrade or some tweaking, nice geometry, can take a beating

Components suck... STX across the board. Breaks are weak-major upset, derailleurs, etc need to be replaced.

Good beginner bike. Takes whatever beating is dished. Kinda heavy, but overall excellent bike for price.

Comparable Trek, Fisher, Cannon