K2 Bike 1998 K2 Proflex 3000 Full Suspension Bike

1998 K2 Proflex 3000

Mobikes   Weekend Warrior [Feb 04, 2015]
Strength:

Relatively light compared to department store bikes. Steering is nimble. Brakes are sure. Good range of adjustment on the suspension. Swing arm is very stable. Shifting is solid and secure.

Parts availability is getting difficult, but it's a 17 year old bike. The excellent Noleen Cross Link is a handful to properly service and set up compared to cheaper bikes.

The Proflex K2 3000 is worth 1000 times the ridiculous price I paid. I ride weekends and occasional errand runs in suburbia. When I bought the bike, a previous owner had attempted to dissemble the Noleen Cross LInk and got frustrated. I had to take the entire fork assembly all the way off and reassemble it. I ride on steep hilly dirt roads, packed sand, packed dirt flats, old nasty asphalt and brand new asphalt roads. The K2 handles all terrains. This bike is the best I've ridden for my situation. Once the suspension is set up for the ride, it performs like a dream. Hard landings are easy. Everyone that sees it gives compliments, except one young guy that thought it was an antique dinosaur. That young guy was in a bike shop picking up his 29" Cannondale after breaking its frame. If only the parts were still around, it would hold even higher value than 5 screaming chilis. I would get as many of these bikes as I could afford if I could find one nearby. No signs of shock leakage or slop in any moving parts yet. I'm 6'1" 200 pounds and the bike doesn't creak or complain. I cannot say enough good about this old K2.

Similar Products Used: Walmart full suspension. Fuji 70s road bike (fine machine was stolen)
Kevin Thomson   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2001]
Strength:

I really like the front suspension and turning capabilities. With the way it's set up, the fork comes down in front of the hub. I have taken some major hits on it, and bent the front fork quite a bit, that would destroy conventional suspension, but have kept riding this one just fine.

The rear suspension is made more for cross country comfort than for really rough riding, drops, and jumps. I have broken the rear spring twice, both times under warranty. Also, when it breaks, the rear stay jabs forward into the frame, putting a nice looking dent in it. The first time i broke it, it took nearly a year to get riding again, because it took so long for K2 to warranty it. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I finally had to physically go to the K2 plant to get them to do anything.

I really like this bike except for the rear suspension. The problem has been taken care of in later models, so i would buy another bike from K2 just because i like the riding characteristics. As for their customer service, i never would have had to talk to them if it weren't for the suspension breaking, so if they fix that problem, i can just buy their bike and never talk to them again.

Ken   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight for the price, strong frame, great front shock, fast on the smoother trails.

%$@#$ rear shock and slow K2 customer service

I really loved this bike. It has been thru a lot of riding and thrashing. I loved the stiffness of the suspension although there is noticeble flex in the rear (swingarm?). It climbs well on smooth trail and descends fair. I have had to set up the front and rear shocks pretty stiff to prevent bob. Consequently the bike is a rocket on smooth trails, and a handful in the technical stuff. I would still have the bike if it wasnt for the rear shock. I broke it twice. The first time the bolt acme loose that holds the rear part of the shock to the upper swingarm. The shock came loose , broke and wiped out the upper arm. Keep an eye on that bolt. The second break happened at low speed after loosing all dampening. Cause is unknown but I dont want a 3rd incident. It took about a month to get the shock rebuilt and the upper arm replaced the 2nd time.
Score: W/O shock problems 5 chillies, with 3...average=4

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Superv500, Cannondale Jekyll 900SL
Derek   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2001]
Strength:

Light for full suspension, Stiff Cross-Link Fork, Rear suspension design virtually eliminates bobbing.

Noleen NR-2 susceptible to breaking under extreme conditions.

This is a strong, light full suspension bike with hard tail riding characteristics. If your using the correct spring rates for your body weight the suspension is there when you need it, and it's not when you don't want it. The steering is very sensitive, but you get used to it, and it will become an advantage as you progress in your riding ability. The rear suspension was designed for cross country riding, and not jumps or drop off's. I broke my rear NR-2 shock probably due to accumulated stress put on the shock's piston rod from doing dirt jumps, loading docks, and other urban terrain.

Dominic Ferrante   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2000]
Strength:

This bike has been the most durable ride I have found yet. It rips over the big stuff and doesn't even sweat the small stuff.

none- only rider stamina. I wish I could keep up with the bike.

This bike rocks!! The cross link suspention has provided the best ride I have found yet, over ANY trail!! I weigh over 200 lbs. and this set up fits me like a glove. I do get a lot of questions on the trail about the suspention. I only have great things to say about this bike.

Jeremy Fletcher   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is very fast... I enjoy the explosion out of the corners and its acceleration. The no-leens and carbon fibre frame looks really exotic... I like to be different. This bike also climbed really well and I felt that for a full suspension it was decently weighted.

The bikes forks folded on me riding a steep hill. My derailler tore off when a stick got in my chain. This caused a crash which resulted in a broken chain stay... so much for the cool carbon fibre. This bike is weak... anyone doing more than a log or a rock better stay away.

Though I love the way this bike performed in race like conditions I cannot love this bike. It has cost me a freaking fortune... a good 900 canadian for new forks (Manitou double clamps which I never did get to try... Judy's were a standby)... now a good 150 for the new derailler... and a freaking 500 - 1000 for a new full suspension frame. It may have been a great looking bike but I could have bought three bikes for the cost of keeping it on the trails.

Similar Products Used: GT i-drive, Kona Stinky, and Kona Pahoehoe.
Josh   [May 11, 2000]
Strength:

Light, strong, fast, suspension

some cheap components, but they have taken one hell of a beaten

This bike is a great bike. It is fast and light, some of the people complain about the wieght, but it comes with cr18 rims and stxrc hubs. WIth that on my bike mine ways 26lbs. I just purchased laserbeam rims and momentum hubs. That should take some more wieght off of it. I have raced a full season with this bike, and put on countless training miles on it(i would guess over 2000). Bottom Line: Its a great bike, get it.

Similar Products Used: all of them
BOB   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2000]
Strength:

PRICE, NICE FORK, BIKE CLIMBS WELL AFTER A FEW ADJUSTMENTS,TAKES A GOOD BEATING

I WEIGH ABOUT 220 LBS, IT HAS ALITTLE LATERIAL MOVEMENT, BUT NOT BAD.

GREAT BIKE, WOULD TELL FRIENDS ABOUT IT. DOES REQUIRE ALITTE WORK TO GET IT RIGHT. ALITTLE HEAVY, BUT NEW RIMS AND TIRES WHEN THEY WEAR OUT WILL GET IT DONE . 5 1/2 CLILIS BECAUSE OF PRICE AND QUALITY.

Similar Products Used: NONE
Kyle Baillargeon   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2000]
Strength:

This bike rules. It can handle everything i throw at it. The Noleen Crosslink elite front shock rules. Easy adjustment. The rear shock is very nice. Nice and stiff so that your don't bounce on little stuff. Also it takes the bumps away too. I love it. Also the Carbon Fiber swing arm is so lite and it gives it the carbon look that just makes the bike. I have the white frame with the red front shock and red springs.

Its a little heavy but not that bad considering that i have a 20.5 inch frame.

I love it. Actually i ordered it online at http//:www.bikesale.com Very nice deal. I paid $624 plus shipping. I sugest u check it out. It came in right on time and came fully assembled. Thanks www.bikesale.com

Similar Products Used: Well my last bike was an old aluminum Trek 7000 with 97 rock shox judy xc. It was tired.
Steve Hamlin   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 10, 1999]
Strength:

Great climber, Noleen Crosslink Elite linkage fork,

Can't move seat post up and down much.

Great cross-coultry bike. I bought the bike for 699 at Bennetts and have upgraded the shifters, brakes, and put a new seat on it. very smooth. The suspension setup is great, 3 to 5 foot drops no problem. Descent for racing, could be a little lighter, mines 27 lbs, with stx hubs and cr18 rims, so a new wheel set could take off some weight. Overall, its a real good bike for the money so I give it 5 stars.