Haro 1999 Extreme EX2 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Extreme EX2

1999 Haro Extreme EX2, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy C, 3.15" travel fork

Alfred   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2001]
Strength:

Sturdy and smooth ride over roots, small rocks, doesn't throw you over bike at first sign of impact...shocks dig and try to pull you through it. Shocks will launch you over logs, curbs, edges or whatever...I've pushed this bike to the max and its responded every time.

Broke the swing arm first time I took it to Austin. They replaced it with 2000 swing arm in one day. No problems since then. Grips are a little hard and will slide if your hands sweat..

This bike is great for someone who rides singletrack dirt wth roots/light terrain to downhill challenges...tighten the shock for better work ratio. For the price this bike gets you all the basics of a smooth ride on rugged terrain.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper, Canondale...
scott   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 1999]
Strength:

This bike is tight, an absolute blast to ride
it is solid as a rock, climbs like a goat(need to
stay in saddle as long as possible) and floats over
the roughest terrain. Like they claim in Mountain bike action,
this bike is the best for 1000 and under, you wont be
dissappointed!

little heavy, 9 sp needs
a rollamig to keep chain tight

Rock solid performance, reasonable price.
Youll always have a grin on your face with this bike!

Similar Products Used: Trek y3
Mark   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2000]
Strength:

Price, I got this bike on closeout for $700. Not bad components, tires, saddle ect.

Swing Arm, this thing sucks I keep waiting for it to break because I know it will. I've already tightened everything up once because this thing has a bad design.

I really enjoy this bike, I just wish Haro would just recall the swing arm instead of making us wait till it breaks. With the 2000 arm I think this would be a really fun bike.

cory wagner   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2000]
Strength:

I ride this bike 25 miles as a daily commuter and love it.
This bike will get you through whatever you can find, downtown street, x-country dirt, and downhillin'.
Also haro has great factory support with any problems.

Rear swingarm broke, but a new stronger one sent to me right away.
front derailer moves and cause shifting difficulty.

Haro rules - Get one if you like to fly!!!!

Similar Products Used: Nothing that compares to this bike
Superman   Racer [Oct 28, 1999]
Strength:

With a little extra componetry this bike does very well.

I have broken the frame once and the swingarm 3 times.

The bottom line is that this FS bike is great once you can dial it in. I race XC with it but will soon go to a hardtail. This bike is probably the best multi-purpose bike I have ever riden. The company has alway kept up there warranty on it so the breakage was only a minor setback. They sent me the 2000 swingarm. I have nearly swithed all the componets out for more race worthy additions such as flat bars and a Chris King wheelset.

Drew   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 17, 1999]
Strength:

It floats over stuff and goes exactly where you want it to. It climbs well too.

A little heavy, but you won't notice.

An excellent bike at an even better price.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Heckler
Dan   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 08, 1999]
Strength:

fire roads
climbs pretty well

rear swing arm broke! I heard this happend to about 10 other riders here in Israel- all non aggresive XC riders.It is a pitty because the extreme in a well sprcked affordable full sus' bike .

nice bike to ride but I didn't expect the swingarm to brake so soon , I hope for 2000 Haro replaces the thing ! if the rear swing arm didn't break i'd giveit 4 stars.

Similar Products Used: super V's klein Mantara (but coudn't afford them!)
John   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 01, 1999]
Strength:

Plently of travel both back and front that absorb most, if not all, trail conditions.

I've had a little problem with the front mech failing to change down consistantly.

This is just a great bike for both serious off-roading or gentle pottering. With the the added stopping power of disc brakes this bike gives the rider (me) more confidence to try stuff they (me) would have given a miss before.

Similar Products Used: GT3000
Marin Rock Springs
Pete Demos/Haro Bikes   downhiller [Dec 21, 1998]

Mountain Bike Action did a test review of the Haro Extreme EX2 in the October 1998 issue. Here is a bit of what they had to say....this bike leaves nothing to be desired except a place to ride. It's a winner!This is a true trail bike for $1000. It turns at the push of a button, yet it's a joy to hammer at fire road velocity. Besides all that, it looks really spiffy.

JR   [Sep 23, 2000]
Strength:

Full suspension for under $1000.
Mostly quality parts.
Great handling.
Nifty colors.
Low top tube protects the "sweets".

Stock seat will make you impotent in a few days.
Rear tire gets loose easily and clogs very easily.
Poor water bottle placement.
Pain in the neck seat post.
Grips you can sand the rust off a ship with.

This is an amazing bike at an even more amazing price. It is usually bumpy and wet in the gorge and this bike flat out flys downhill. It needed some cable adjustments to get dialed in but it has been super since! I changed the seat to a gel one. I enjoy riding for more than a few minutes and with the stock seat my arse was killing me. I'm going to replace the rear tire soon because the stock tire clogs very easily and slips often. I've heard about the swing arm breaking but I haven't had any problems with mine. All of my gripes can easily (and cheaply) be fixed. Once you dial it in to the way you like you'll smile so much they'll be picking the flies out of your teeth. Super bike!