GT 2001 iDrive Team Full Suspension Bike

GT 2001 iDrive Team Full Suspension Bike

[Jan 24, 2002]
Garrick

Strength:

Climbs like a goat. The rear shock has a lock-out but I've found it isn't necessary, it still climbs great. The bike is light and fast.

Low bottom bracket. XTR Brakes don't grab the cross max as well as they grab the mavic 517's. If you have the cash, recommend disc.

I am loving this bike! I was leary of hitting the steep stuff due to what I've read, but I've gone down the steepest crap I've ever been on since buying this bike. I think I'll start racing.

specialized stump jumper

[Nov 05, 2002]
andy duligall

Strength:

pretty light, even with xl frame, love the lock-out rear, narly colors

creaks a little (may be me and my setup) - wacky headset - no probs so far....low ground clearance keeps you alert (!) even with max pressure on shock(s)

it goes up hills alot better than I do - pretty forgiving, I'm 6'3" and 240 - probably why it creaks ! - went with mavics for strength over lightness - better that my old spins ! - low crank clearance could be helped with a shorter crank-arm - next time !

marin (s)nail trail - tough but slow, antique bianchi anchor/anti-tank weapon

[Jan 21, 2002]
AGENT GRAPE

Strength:

ultra lite weight excellent component package

sid race fork-it isnt up to real hard riding without replacing cartridges often

changed sid race to a more abuser friendly fork. this is a really fast bike, it took a little while to get used to the wheels,they flex. lowering the bottom bracket causes the pedals to bash over rough rocky terrain. but it comes with the territory i like the bike more every time i ride it
i am short5'7''on a med frame it handles well real quick steering i find i can ride harder with less effort

gt-xcr-2000 gt pantera

[Oct 04, 2002]
Don

Strength:

Incredible upgrade for a former hard-tailer like me. This thing is feather-light, stiff where it should be & soft where it counts. Super flickable on climbs although I'm still getting confident on fast descents. The Fox RLC with lockout is worth it's weight in gold. A steal for the price. Also it came with the integrated headset at no charge.

Saw a review below about the lack of shock directions... just go to Fox's website & download them -- http://www.foxracingshox.com/

This thing has improved my riding tremendously already in only about 2 months. It's agility is awesome & climbing prowess unbelievable. I can stand up & hammer the pedals & it won't bob or lose a beat. I'm glad pacific snapped up GT, hopefully they'll continue the legacy & this awesome technology.

Sugar 3, Jeckyll, Specialized Epic

[Jan 18, 2002]
Bob

Strength:

light weight, handles great and loaded. Nothing left upgrade to, it already has it

Company went bankrupt, bought out by Pacific. Who knows what or if there will be customer service or availability of parts. Tried to call 800# and got disconnected recording

Reason bought bike sight unseen - read reviews, the components were a wish list of what I would want and couldn't beat the price. Have had the chance now to ride the bike twice. This is going to be a long term love affair between me and this bike - unless that is something breaks and I have nowhere to turn.

Santa Cruz heckler and Specialized FSR S-Works M4

[Jan 15, 2002]
Dave Skipper

Strength:

incredible ease climing even not using the lockout

strikes pedals

Incredible bike, to narrow bars. Bike is completely stock and purchased new in the box. The carbon bars are so narrow they make me nervous and take getting used to. Climbiing has been effortless. I have had back surgery and the ride smoothness suits me. I am 5'8 and nearly 200 lbs, with the suspension setup at factory specifications, and given my greatly amatuer status, I am thrilled with the bikes performance. It is many times more competant than I am or ever forsee being. Alot of money for a bike for a weekend warrior, but I believe in having the best equipment for my recreational use.

cannondale and specialized

[Jan 03, 2002]
stock

Strength:

incredible bang for the buck.

low bottom bracket

serious climbing with this puppy. pop the lockout and you have a hardtail. buddy of mine just bought a turner $5,000 rig and i was killing him up the fireroads -- and he's a stronger climber!

yes, you will clip a pedal, but adding some air to the fox rear will help (although not totally solve the problem.) another inch of front travel would be nice, but not mandatory.

the frame runs smaller than on other bikes -- so beware of sizing before you buy. i put a new stem on, just to give me some extra height.

this is one fast machine. beware! you'll be flying -- takes some getting used to.

whoever wrote that this is not an all day comfort machine, i strongly disagree -- unless you're a downhill bomber. the bike doesn't flex at all and that mean less energy wasted.

i tested the trek fuels and the cannondale scalpels before finally pulling the trigger on this. i'm telling you -- there is not a better bike for the money. to get these kind of parts of this kind of frame -- you're looking at 4500 min.

ride on.

trek fuel. trek y.

[Oct 31, 2003]
Don

This is a followup to some of the posts below -- if your frame creaks like mine did - check the cable braze-on where it leaves the down-tube to go under the BB - my cable-end was simply creaking in it's holder when the susp. went active. A bit of waterproof grease solved it. Just wanted to share the knowledge, as I thought it was the frame linkage at first but was able to solve the problem.

[Oct 09, 2003]
Barry

Strength:

Lightweight Frame, Excellent Suspension

Welds

Bought the frame only, built up the rest. In just under 2 years I have rode 2,000+ cross country miles. No jumps or free ride for me, just beautiful singletrack of North Georgia and Western North Carolina. Then last week I found a major crack in one of the welds of the frame. The crack is located right along the weld line, underneath the rear shock mount and above the eccentric. (e-mail me if you need a more detailed description.) Well I've sent it off to Pacific (who owns GT) for warranty replacement. From the other posts about GT warranty claims I expect a long wait for my replacement frame. Lets hope I get apples for apples as this was their top of the line XC frame. 4 for value as Supergo later reduced the price another $100, 4 overall because other than the cracked frame, this thing climbed, descended and just simply rode better than other bikes I have ridden.

i-Drive 2.0, Sugar 3, NRS 2

[Sep 25, 2001]
Chris

Strength:

Light weight, Great components, Nice wheel set. Good looking bike

Sid Race is a little soft for my liking. I will probably switch it out with the 2002 SID Race with lockout.

The bike is really fast. It took a couple of rides to get use to the squirlly feeling on tight switchbacks but now I have the bike dialed in. I think!! The routing of the rear derailer cable needs to be monkied with to increase shifting performance. The same goes for the rear brake cable. Maybe that was just specific to the build that I received from the factory. I love the bike and was hesitant to switch from a hardtail because of the climbing aspect. The bike makes climbing technical singletrack fun. It takes the bumps well and lets you stay in the saddle spinning when in a race. I would definately reccomend this bike to agressive riders wko like cross country style riding.

Supercaliber