GT 2001 iDrive 4.0 Full Suspension Bike

GT 2001 iDrive 4.0 Full Suspension Bike

[Jul 03, 2014]
Blaze

Strength:

small bump response yet solid pedaling platform

Little hefty

Bought this cheap off ebay (£75 frame). Small bump response is fantastic and sprints up climbs like a goat. In comparison all modern bikes are choked by platform shocks, the iDrive used mechanical leverage to cancel pedal input. Rolls through technical terrain really well, maintaining speed perfectly. Just as well really as it's not the lightest thing around but climbs surprisingly well despite that. Mixed mine up with a 130mm fork which slackened the angles to modern standard although does make the BB a little high. The GT led me into buying a maverick ML8 (same principle design) which is still in the build phase but hope that will ride just as well.
Great bike.

Giant Anthem X, Specialized FSR, Saracen Recoil, Giant NRS, Marin Mount Vision, numerous hardtails.

[May 25, 2014]
mcseforsale

Strength:

It's been a trusty steed from Maine to Georgia and all in between. Almost 6000 miles and still going strong.

None. Best iDrive performance to date.

I bought this bike new in Dec. 01 and I still ride it several times a week. The only original parts on the frame are the stock fasteners, derailleur mount, rear spring (though not the shock) and the seatpost QR. It's had several makeovers from weight weenie, to stout enough to hold my now 215lb, 6'1" frame. I've ridden every iDrive design since and this one is the best handling. It was designed before platform shocks and works very well without them....just the way it should be. IMO, if you require a platform shock, the suspension design is too much of a gimmick. I get the "nice to see old school" comments on the trail, but truth be told, not many people can tell what it is unless I tell them...since I have kept the bike so mint all these years. Despite the miles, this bike is timeless and to my eye is one of the most elegant designs out there still...both mechanically and aesthetically. Sad Richard Long died and GT started becoming a crappy business model.

[Aug 13, 2012]
trev heales

Strength:

Good wheels and tyres, good brakes and gears, suspension was good

My frame has had to be welded 2 times now. It 1st went when it was about 3 years old. It goes where the seat post meets the frame. I only weighed 9 stone so wasn't because I was a fatty.

Everything good but week frame.

[Dec 12, 2011]
Bill

Strength:

Been riding it since 02. Still going. Lost count of crashes. Let's say ive abused it.

Could of used shock andy brake upgrades.

Does corner very good. Climbs to me liked a goat. Strong frame. Still going.

[Feb 18, 2011]
haribokid

Strength:

Awesome frame,Ive the Medium and im 5,10 and it handles great on Xc ride.

None yet.

Great Xc frame for the money, you can now get these frames for well under 200 now!! If you see one and its in good condition esp: the I drive linkage, buy it you wont be disappointed!!

Orange 5

[Apr 21, 2010]
J. Brown

Strength:

Just got this bike and fell in love. Great ride! lots of fun! and perfect for someone just starting out in the world of mountain bikes

not found yet

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Sep 15, 2009]
jcapewell

Strength:

For the novice/beginner like myself - this i-drive 4.0 Large frame setup is the perfect bike. Very easy to climb hills, take quick corners, fearless downhills (OK, on the family trails), very good single-finger breaking, and solid shifts. My son (6'5") rode it/abused it for 5 years and garaged it, then I (5'11") took it over last year and now put about 45 miles a week on it, mixed off-road stuff mostly. Local bike shop does all maintenance other than chain lube and bike wash.

none noticed so far (8 years and counting)

The most fun on two wheels an amateur weekend rider can have. The technology is pretty outdated now, but still a fantastic, reliable ride. No failures other than replace the chain, which did not break - it was just time.

Trek 8500 (son's new bike)

[May 14, 2009]
raycharlesonacid

Strength:

Smooth as stock, road and dirt worthy, nice components...

Rockshox Judy so so, damping adjustment for looks; Synchros Big Box front & rear rims spokes always break till re-laced with bigger gauge spokes (but I'm 6'1", 250 lbs, if that matters)...

I'm GT (my real initials, lol) and got my 2 GT's around 2001. Had a motorcycle accident so doctors prescribed a wheelchair (a prescription never filled, thankfully). It took 30 days to stand on crutches. When I did, crutched over to bike, started riding EVERYWHERE TO GET BETTER (insisted on leg braces vs. cast, so I could "ratchet peddle" back and forth at first stage of biking recovery). Worked up to 400-600 miles monthly for almost 2 years (people at work thought I was God, but I'm not). Knew I was "well" when laziness kicked in and would rather sit on couch eating Haagen Dazs than ride... My 2 GT iDrive 4.0's (one for parts, one to ride) cured me of this supposedly crippling motorcycle injury through dirt, street, mud, rain and wind with few problems. Today, I am fine and still love these same bikes. If you see one for sale, new or used, buy it.

Diamond Back, Gary Fisher...

[Jan 09, 2009]
Proxy One

Strength:

I like the bike alot, its got alot of good parts for the price. The suspension geometry works really well with me. Great for downhill.

The front shock is a bit weak like others have said, also I wish it had disc brakes, but those are going on soon.

Its a great value when getting it for what most of us have paid. Its a good american made pre Pacific bike.

None, this is my first real MTB.

[Jun 19, 2003]
Mike

Strength:

I-Drive system, Price

Should have come with disc brakes. I'm kind of weary of the frame design although ive beat the hell out of the bike and not had any problems. The Judy C sucks.

pretty sweet bike for the price. Sucks that GT went belly up. People have complained about the rear shock mounting and the spokes. When i bought mine it was put together like sh#t....my first few rides i did a LOT of tuning. I havent had any problems with the spokes since i trued the wheels appropriately. I put rubber washers and the new "upgraded" bolt in where the rear shock meets the frame...cracked two bolts before that. Since then i have beat the hell out of this bike and not had a problem. Its an excellent intermediate bike for the price.

hardtails and crappy duals