GT 2001 iDrive 3.0 Full Suspension Bike

Rodney First Strike (new comer)   All Mountain Rider [Oct 07, 2013]
Strength:

Strong, agile, light, tough, great height, I drive creates most unique feeling of smoothness down roughest of downhills.

haven't found any yet...

*NEW COMER TO MTB* I joined a mountain biking class here at my university(Mid August 2013), I was riding a full suspension mongoose from wal mart (poor native guy status), the instructor laughed when I brought the mongoose on the mountain for my first run. After a few rides and countless bottom-outs on the mogoose, I looked on Craigslist and found this gem for $400. I couldn't tell if it was worth the money or not, but I needed a better bike asap. The guy sold it to me for $365, told me about the I-drive, and it's uniqueness....I didn't care I was glad to have a new bike, an OFFICIAL MOUNTAIN BIKE (End of September 2013). Before I bought the bike, the top 6 riders in my class were all riding 2012 or more current, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, and Kona frames. I am now the 2nd top rider in the class, the 1st being an Australian gentlemen with a 2013 Rocky Mountain frame. However on downhills, I am the number 1 rider in my class. The I-Drive BB adds some sort of a cruise feeling, when going down steep rock declines. My feet tend to move with the dips, and the bumpy terrain on downhill rock still go unnoticed. I like to keep my tires close to full, as I enjoy flying off drops and rock hops, I run the stock v-brakes as I have not been able to afford discs and brakes yet. so far, she climbs just as well as she bombs down trails. If you've ever ridden a horse bareback, this is like that, but with more shock absorption and smoother handling.

mikek   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2009]
Strength:

Not too heavy, high BB, great suspension

Judy C fork is a little outdated

After upgrades, this bike is as good as my 08 Fuji Outland Pro, or any of the other "similar products used" bikes. Confidence builder, stays planted on climbs (after longer stem turned "down") and downhills.
I still own the Fuji, and after several more comparison rides may part with it and keep the GT. If the fork wasn't an '01 spring loaded Judy with no real adjustment, I'd give it a 5 overall.

Similar Products Used: Fuji Outland Pro, Giant NRS Air, Specialized FSR/XC
jorje187   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2008]
Strength:

i-drive technology, holds up well, very good value

cable routing for the front derailleur, sketchy looking rear shock mount, not sure if rear rear mudguard is replaceable

This was a great introduction to full suspension. I'm still riding it after 7 years. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: first and only full suspension
Aaron   [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Great climber over rough terrain. Strong descender at high speeds. Disc ready is a plus. The black/brushed aluminum color scheme is awesome! Great Component Group.

Stem is not the Syncros Stem as advertised. Judy SL fork a bit timid for a 6'3" 200+lb rider. Seat Clamp area a bit weak and developed a crack, but not til' after 3 years of hard time.

I've had this bike almost 3 years of hard time. It has stood up to technical rocky downhills and 9+ hour backcountry excursions without folding, until recently I discovered a crack at the seat tube. Pacific sent me a replacement frame- upgraded to 1.0 within two weeks!! Though, the colors are not as cool as the 3.0 was, It's supposed to be a much better frame. I can't wait to try it. I will miss the 3.O.

Similar Products Used: I-drive 2.0--(test ride) but I liked the colors better on the 3.0...it matters to me.
t-bone   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2002]
Strength:

6 month 600 mile and last report, still fine, no cracks and I'm 190, i-drive works great, fox float shock trouble free, still climbs great no noticable frame creaks, just the deoder frontD doing its grind at times, next upgrade...

Watch the rear shock anchor to the rear triangle, tends to loosen up then you get some clicking, otherwise as long as you keep all bolts snug ride remains so fine, front fork Manitou SX-R needs a heavier spring/elasomer, getting a bit broke in, leaked some redish goo too, looks like a rebuild in my near future or maybe just dive onto one of those new fox forks if the lotto hits.

Still a great ride, rear brake will go avid disk soon but better first wear out the stock digits, they are getting loose, a pain to keep adjusted but still work, ride on and have fun!

Mat Wintzer   [Mar 13, 2002]
Strength:

Great price for what you get. Idrive climbs like a scolded monkey and decends like a dream for a XC trail bike. XTR rear Der. Best looking Idrive. Climbs technical stuff better than a hard tail.

Factory spoke tension is too low. After too months of truing my wheel after every ride, I tightened them as much as was still safe. Now... no more truing. The Judy is a horrible shock--buy the Total Air upgrade and make your Judy feel like a Sid.

Awesome bike for the money. I don't think I can brake the frame or the Idrive, so I am not worried about warranty stuff. If Hans Rey can ride the same frame for Two year, I am not worried about breaking it. To put things in perspective, I have broken most of the components on the bike, but the frame is just fine.

Buy this bike if you are looking to get into FS or you are a serious trail rider with small Free Ride tendencies. If you are a gram counter that races, buy the Idrive race frame. It climbs better but is not as fun on the down hill.

Similar Products Used: deomoed idrive 2 and 4, and assorted Specialized bikes
t-bone   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2002]
Strength:

Its the 300 mile review, below is the one month review, shocks are great both front and rear, frame still tight and still the best ride outside of my wife

Look out for the spokes, way too weak if you're pounding the trail semi daily, spokes started snapping at 240 miles and by 300 miles it became a daily event on the rear wheel (seven replaced allready), front is still fine, tight and true, but the rear was no help with less tire pressure and keeping spokes evenly tight and rims true, just too light a guage spoke, bought a set of bombproof wheels and using the original as spares until I respoke them with 15 gauge SS spokes, if you're running disks respoke right away or else you might break more than one at a time and get really hurt. If your not a pounder riding hard singletrack spokes should last but keep them snug, mine tended to loosen up then eventually started to snap. Ahh the snap then creaking of a broken spoke... not something that you want to hear often.

Still a great ride, frame is still tight, srams and XTR shift nice, front D a bit tempramental but its a deoder so not much to expect. Next step is to put a 110g bar stiffener to stop the occasional clicking noise from the shifter, otherwise its a quiet ride even in nasty washboard at full speed, seat post seems to loosen up on the saddle but the squeak is an easy clockwise fix, will probably get a new seat post for it eventually, otherwise its been a very fun purchase, ride on ;)

Pat   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2002]
Strength:

Coming off a GT RTS that I rode for the last 8 years I was quite impressed where technology has taken full suspension. The bike has felt great since I cleaned and relubed the complete bike. Great price for a great bike that an intermediate rider would want. If you ride dirt trails,singletrack and are contemplating racing this is the bike for you. Overall anyone could benefit from this bike, although experts would do better with a higher level GT for the increased adjustability of shocks and components.

Rear tire and tube blew for no reason 2.5 miles out of the box- brand new! 2.3 miles from my house the walk sucked! Needed to make some major adjustments to the rear brake to get it to serve a purpose of slowing me down.

I have only ridden the bike 60 miles since new but as I saw so many reviews about issues I wanted to submit a quick review of my discovery. I may submit a followup if necessary again in a few months. I am 6'1 and the seat post has not needed to be cut. After relubing and adjusting the bike I have had no problem at all with shifting. Initially with the stuff that is put on the bike for shipping the shifting was awful both in the front and back. Kerosene and wax fixed that problem. I did a 3 foot drop off yesterday, the manitou and fox both absorbed well and neither bottomed out (I weigh 180Lbs). Coming off the RTS I have not found a real difference in the weight and would not say the weight is excessive enough that I can't ride quickly through singletracks and hills. The pedals have worked well for me on and off road, I have done my darnest to put as much weight and pressure on the chain- it just wont break. Lastly, warranty is being picked up by Pacific which may be better than no warranty. So I go with all the compliments and say this bike has been great for me. The rear brake gives it a few points off of an outstanding bike but for the price and the components this is one of the best deals out there. Sadly GT's lose is my gain in regards to a great bike but Pacific taking it over ends an era of a great company.

Similar Products Used: i-drive 2.0, i-drive 4.0 . Raced and rode GT RTS-2.
George Griffith   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

idrive feels smooth esp over bumps.light. good components. good for weekend warriors and enthususaists who like the off road as well as the occasional fast road ride.

seat pole way too long touches back shok will cut off two inches.had to put a gel seat on the saddle.ooooh

very comfortable but people should think about how they arrange gear cables on trail bikes they get caught on trees and bushes and get stretched out now my gears are missing and jumping but overall very good value im happy

Similar Products Used: never ridden a full suspension before thought id lose power on the road but not noticeably so
t-bone   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2002]
Strength:

Nice price for a full featured bike, liked the frame quality, XL large size to fit my 6' 4" frame and 200 lb weight. Love the XTR rear D with the sram 7.0 cassette, keep it bathed in white lightning and shifting is effortless.

Brake pads plain suck, brakes lasted 120 miles of mostly up/down single track and faded bad when overheated and were hard to keep adjusted cause of the soft rubber wanted to cook off, don't ride it on the steeps before getting some real brake pads, the avid 3 a bit touchy to adjust but with wrangler pads its much MUCH better and shop said to go to XTR harder pads when those wear out for longer life. Riser bars seem to flex enough to cause the front sifters to make a clicking sound but does affect the ride. Tires were weak, replace right away at shops advice and glad I did. Richey clipless lasted 2 hours before blew out the front clip, on a kick in on a nasty climb, very underbuilt, replaced with some old bullet proof shimano knock-offs

Very nice climber and a joy to fly downhill in just about anything from broken rock to dried mud ruts to loose grabby sand. Having full suspension its a treat to run tires at 45 lbs+ and not get hammered. The idrive with the manatou sx-r at first seemed too soft in the front but after playing with the dials the front and rear really made for a comfortable yet very tight ride. I recommend putting the cheapo plastic fender that came with it on since it will keep the dirt out of the front d and the float shock. Will upgrade the rear brake to disc if the hubs hold up otherwise I plan to ride the crap out of it, very nice all around X-C bike. So far still tight as new, dropped it about 10 times twice hard on sharp braking in the dirt but not with my full weight on it seems strong, no bad noises yet or is that the white lightning effect. Seems like a great deal for the price, GT's loss is my gain, ride on!