GT 2000 XCR-5000 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, SR MG91, 3.0" travel fork

Charles   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

strong frame, tough components, i like the adjustablity of the rear shock (i keep it as tight as possible, essentially locking it out)

PORKY frame, crappy front shock.

Good bike, good platform for building a sturdy bike. With the right components, this bike can FLY, despite its weight. I would recommend this bike to a intermediate rider who wants to jump to full suspension.

Similar Products Used: GT Avalanche 1.0
Pipe FR Casasempere   Downhiller [May 23, 2003]
Strength:

It´s a good freeriding bike, although it was designed for extreme x country, it´s easy to maintain(except the i-drive) but the i-drive gives a lot of control during the descent

The position of the shock makes the two bolts to bend and then to break along with the shock, the i-drive is hard to maintain clean and the headpipe it´s too large

For all of you that don´t have a lot of money but want´s a cheap, good and good looking freeriding bike that allows a lot of modifications, good control during downhill (If you have a large fork)

Similar Products Used: Cheeta Prowler, GT LTS-3000, Haro EX-02
Jonathan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 24, 2001]
Strength:

Very nice frame. Good seat. Great front shock. Nice handlebars, stem, and headset.

Deraileurs. REAR SHOCK! Crankset.

This is a great frame. 7000 series aluminum, dropout, nine-speed capable, disk-break capable. And the front shock continues to impress me. I have no need to go to a Judy or a SID, this thing compeats with them every step of the way. And, yes I am refering to the stock SunTour. Nice Shock. But the back shock stinks. I've bottomed it out way to many times. I ride this thing cross-country and a little clysdale. It's taking an incredible beating and held up well. Many thanks to GT.

Similar Products Used: Giant Warp DS/1, GT Agressor
Justin   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2001]
Strength:

An excellent frame, very sturdy,(and the newer I-drives seem to have failures in the seatpost stancions), well priced for the oppertunities that this bike posses. handles great on the track and awesome in the trees. The I-Drive rocks, especially with a rockshox floater in the rear, soaks up the huge drops

it just seems heavy,(but not too big of a problem). stock brakes sucked, at the end of fast wet decents there were no brakes. get the disks

If you can find this bike grab it, it rocks especially if you upgrade. awesome frame and bike for the price.

Similar Products Used: trek 9000 , Cannondale Cad 4 Lefty
ramilcp   Weekend Warrior [Sep 23, 2001]
Strength:

It has a strong frame with good travel and flex(thank you i-Drive!). The stock parts are good for an entry-level rider like me. The brakes are responsive and have good feedback to stop quickly. I love the rapid-fire shifting. Goes fast downhill.

The stock Velo seat hurts!. It is so uncomfortable, I have to stand up for the entire ride. The flaky front derailleur will have to go on the next upgrade. Suntour fork mushy. A little heavy going uphill, but not a big deal. Handlebar too wide.

My friend took a nasty spill on this bike before swearing off mountain biking and selling to me. I took the leap and bought it -- and I must say, I'm glad I did. The stock parts are alright in the beginning, but its weaknesses are starting to show the longer I ride. This is a great bike on the trails and even better going downhill. I will upgrade the parts as I go along, but its relatively low maintenance keeps me hitting the trails every week. Looks like I have a new hobby!

Similar Products Used: none (first real atb bike)
harry davis   Weekend Warrior [Feb 27, 2003]
Strength:

great for freestyling good jumping characteristics. awesome weight and handleability

can only bring seat down an inch to two before it hits the rear shock. boo!

i love this bike it is definetly 4.5 out of 5 only downfall cant really lower the seat but hey whos on the seat anyways?

Similar Products Used: iron horse g out
Felipe Casasempere   Cross Country Rider [Oct 07, 2001]
Strength:

It´s a great bike, very stiff during the climb nd very soft during the downhill, I made huge jumps and nothing has happened.And the greatest it´s de i-drive system, it rocks!!!

The rst 22 shock and the weight

For all of you out there that think that having a full suspension bike wont work, well you are wrong about that!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: y-11 (downhill)
James   Racer [Aug 11, 2001]
Strength:

Great GT looks, i drive kicks on nasty hills, slim seat, quick shifting, fantastic bargain!

Doesn't come with clipless pedals or even pedal toe clips, sometimes even the hardest gear isn't fast enough for a mean downhill. It is a little heavy too.

Great deal for the price. I basically ride street, but this monster can handle even tough trails. The i drive is the greatest invention in mountain biking, and this bike takes full advantage. Smooth suspension, good brakes, and great looking frame. Overall it is a fantastic bargain for the money. Highly recommended!

Similar Products Used: GT Outpost Trail
Me   Downhiller [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

I LOVE IT!

NONE

NO TIME TO TALK....I LOVE IT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B!U!Y! I!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: NOTHING COMPARES
Tim   Weekend Warrior [Jan 23, 2001]
Strength:

Per GT research the XCR 5000 frame is stronger then the 2001 frame but is a few ounces heavier. Rims, spokes, seat post, seat, handlebar grips, shifters.

Front shock is alittle soft, but Im 6'1" 290lbs. The bike handles awsome !!

I am an engineering Tech, and have researched all the bikes and alloy frames. Bottom line, buy a last year model if you can find one and save up to 50% off retail. If you buy a GT XCR500 2000 model or 2001,You will be Happy. As far as USA made, or Hand made?? Its all price. I would rather have a frame made by robotics, there is no room for error !! Computer aided drafting?? yes most all the frames are designed and tested in cyberspace, How do I know?? I am a certified AutoCad Tech, 3D!!

Similar Products Used: All full suspension bikes include> Trek y, Specialized, Gary fisher Joshua. Cannondale, even Mongoose.