GT 2000 XCR-3000 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy Race, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

sgronberg   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2008]
Strength:

Great climber! The i-drive set-up really makes a difference!

stock parts

I'm 5'7 and about a buck fifty. This bike can grip the trail on the climb but can be a little bit loose on steep downhill, handles great on the single track! Great bike for the money and you can't beat the i-drive, craigslist best buy!

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300
paul.draper   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 2008]
Strength:

I have been ridding this bike for 7 years (2 years off for deployments) and have never had a significant problem with it. Rock Solid frame and the idrive system is outstanding up hills. This ride is great for my 220+ lbs!

A little heavy.

This bike has taken a punishment, it's paint is scratched & chiped, and there is a little rust on the bolts but I would sooner sell my jeep than lose this bike. I have ridden her along the rock of the Atlantic shore. In the swamps and mud. On the streets of Hartford and she has never let me down.

Similar Products Used: Hard tails - Schwinn, Trek, GT Outpost & Zaskar.
Chris S.   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2003]
Strength:

I-Drive, strong frame, looks great, disc ready, handles great in all conditions

weight, some components needed upgrading, stock Tioga tires were horrendous

This bike is my baby. The frame is tough as nails. I-Drive suspension works like a dream. Many components were adequate stock, but some had to go. Especially the tires. Upgrading to disc brakes was easy. My bike has almost full XTR, what a difference over stock Deore and Deore LX. When my road bike broke 1 week before a century ride I put skinny tires on my I-drive and rode the century with it. I was totally impressed. The suspension is super efficient. There was only 1 other fs bike in the ride(Trek Fuel 100)and that guy couldn't finish. This bike is a great all around bike and gets way more miles than my road bike. Have heard that the quality of I-Drive frames went down when GT went bankrupt so be carefull with newer models but don't pass up a chance to pick up a 2000 or 2001 I-Drive frame. In my opinion one of the best fs frames for all around riding. Mine looks like a motocross bike with its mud flaps and I get frequent compliments on it.

Similar Products Used: crappy old hardtails
Rich   Weekend Warrior [Feb 16, 2003]
Strength:

i-Drive ROCKS SOLID!!! factory set for disk brakes. hollowtech crankset is featherweight set and sealed...
3 year old bike is tighter than most 2003 species in its origional price range...This bike kickz azz!

origional Tioga extreme xc tires had to go..(the wear on these tires however tell me that this bike was previously owned by a fairy...they were like new and material wise very remnant of pencil erasor rubber!) plastic cap on syncros headset freaks me out a little (especially after reading some of the other reviews...)

i've had this bike for a mere 3 months and i've put well over 600 hard miles on it and it rides like a dream.
i-drive is something i dont think i can live without after riding this machine.. its the last American made GT if you see one for under a grand BUY IT! The bikes a little heavy so its not for weight snobs (i added a few grams with the motoraptor 2.4s and the ride weight felt like it went down)I would still like to know why in the hell those tiogas were added to such a sweet frame..i think i got my $350 worth with the i-drive alone....i'm the dustcloud that just blew past you on the hill!! what more can i say....i-drive i-drive i-drive
nothing compares (i'm giving it 5 cuz its 3 years old with all the factory origionals still above average)

Similar Products Used: test ride on 2003 i-drive other than that this is my first full sus set up.
David   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2001]

Follow up review: I bought this bike, rode it for two years and loved every minute of it.....now I find a crack in the seat mast and am left hanging as to whether they're going to warranty it.... I didn't do big drops or big air with it so why the hell did it break and let me down????

Scott Priester   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

To many to name

Those brakes you all tried to get through to me about!

Well this is my second post I think, and I just went riding tonight. I had probably the most enjoyable, challenging and all around fullfilling ride tonight, and I have to say the one major complaint about the bike finally happened to me tonight. I'm talking about the brakes; yes they got wet and muddy, and as you have all said they don't work real well when wet or damp. I still haven't had alot of the other problems that the rest of you have complained about (stem). It is a fast go everywhere I want it to bike, just what I wanted for my conversion to mountain biking. I know it would be for you to!

RAM   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2000]
Strength:

Climbs like a hardtail!
Rides as fast as you let it- the more speed the better!

Koski Brakes notice Avid on the 01's
Tioga rubber? Might as well be slicks

This is one hecka fun bike! You only need to point and shoot this bike up any climb. If you can provide the power the bike will get you there- better and easier than my old hardtail. Standing or sitting while under extreme power or just "tiptoeing". Uphill obstacles are easily cleared with little strife. The balance and reflex of this bike is amazing!

The I-Drive really works well- believe the hype. Downhill was never more fun or fast. You float over lots of scary stuff at speed- if not over around at the last possible half second. Yes the steering is responsive. The combination of travel from both shocks let your free ride the buff stuff as well- almost like skiing.

When you buy this bike replace the stock tires and brakes. At the very least get some new softer rubber pads. My setup weighs in at about 29 1/4 lbs. a bit heftier than my old HT but well worth it. If your a freak about the weight of your bike you may not like it- or you can look at it this way get stronger on the XCR and race your hardtail.

3 flamers for value because the tires, brakes and stock gruppo should be better for this price point.

4 flamers overall because it's so fun to ride!

Similar Products Used: 1999 XCR 3000
1998 Specialized FSR
David   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2000]
Strength:

I-Drive, I-Drive, I-Drive!

Synchros stem

Don't know about the Koski brakes - they went in the dumper before I ever even rode the bike, and I'm not at all sorry! My only real complaint is that, when turning the wheel way to the right, sometimes the shifter cable snags on the left bar pinch bolt, preventing you from turning the bar back to the left -not good! Yeah, the components aren't the best, but I compromised on the price and so did they.

Similar Products Used: GT Aggressor, Klein Mantra
Daryl King   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2000]
Strength:

Good strong frame, paint quality is good, riser bars

Judy Race front fork, a bit on the heavy side for XC work, Syncros Stem slips on steerer tube

I agree fully with Mel from Sydney, Australia. It's hard to say more because he's right on with it, but: I like the bike. It's smooth for XC riding, yet can be a monster truck for knarly downhills. I don't like the feel or modulation of the Koski brakes, this may be a persoanl thing, but they don't help me on really steep, technical trails--therefore the Avids. GT could have offerred a lighter frame at a better price point, but the price difference between the 2000 and 3000 (same frames) and the Easton 1000 is pretty significant. The Sid rear shock is very smooth for an air shock and feels much better than the Rock Shox Judy Race front. The judy actually feels "noodely", and I think I might have to replace it with a Manitou SX-R or SX-Ti. Why is the Judy so flexy? I can really feel it. The stock headset self-destructed so replaced with a King. Overall, a very fun bike to ride, climbs well, even standing. I keep cutting the seatpost in incrments and am going to take another 1/4" off--to make descending the knarly stuff easier to get my weight back. The bike descends good, and again like Mel Said, feels more smooth and the susspenion comes alive with speed. I do like the width and profile of the stock Tiogas, but they seem to slide out too easy.
Overall GT did a good job and I'm very happy to have this bike, and to be involved in this awesome, incredible sport!