GT 2000 XCR-2000 Full Suspension Bike

GT 2000 XCR-2000 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

[Sep 30, 2008]
RUNDCM

Strength:

Design, ride,durability

The bottom shock bolt from the early version. Pacific owned built GT's actually got this corrected.

GREAT BIKE !! This is a review for those looking for a good used full suspen. This bike is good. Awesome good. Start by saying I've had it 8+ years & it still does well what it did in month 01. Things werent always this way. The original shock tabs bent and ruined the frame (month 6). Sent it in to GT & while they had it, Bankruptcy! So no replacement for the next 10 months. Needless to say I was disappointed with GT AND the shop that sold it to me as no substitute ride was offered.

Since getting the replacement frame (they did correct the issue by the way) it has been trouble free. It rides through technical stuff like no tomorrow. It climbs OK, not great but good enough. It rails turns GREAT. Decends suparb. Handles rock gadens SWEET!! After 7 years and NO maintainance to the fork of anything else for that matter, it STILL rides the same (almost, these is creak but am nursing it with graphite powder). Only complaint to date is the hole in the shock support frame piece is too small to take the factory bolt. Little play as a result but no major issue. Had to use a partially threaded shoulder bold Anyway IF you can confirm you have a post 2000 frame and your considering purchase this is STILL a sweet bike. Trust me I replaced it with a RIP nine & I can say the GT STILL holds its own. While I like the RIP, I believe GT set the bar high with the i drive design. 5 flamin turds for value 4 flamins for overall (because of the early issue) After 8 years this thing is still an object of desire. Not many things I covet after 7 years of riding... wife excluded ;)

Niner RIP 9

[Dec 09, 2001]
Brian
Downhiller

Strength:

Great pedaler, fairly light

XCR 2000 Frame quality is terrible. My frame has cracks all over it. GT won't warranty it.

The biggest drop I did was 4 foot and the frame has cracks all over it.

GT LTS, which also cracked

[Nov 28, 2001]
Hunk

Strength:

Price, at first.

Rear end feels weak. Top shock mount is know to break and mine did after 100 or so miles of use.

This frame blows. Bottom Line. According to my bike computer I have 132 miles on this frame. The mileage includes 1 race, light trail riding, and general riding around the hood. I did not do any drops higher than 2 feet, I did not put this thing through any abuse. I went out for a light ride on the local canal trail the other day. As I got up to sprint, I heard a clank. I thought it was the chain. Only after finishing my ride did the top shock bolt fall out and I noticed the area around the bolt was bending and starting to crack. All this after a 100 or so miles.

That isn't the worst of it though. The worst shop in the world (wheel world) told me to call Pacific and deal with them. Pacific has been great to deal with, but they want me to ship through an authorized gt dealer. I want Wheel World to handle it being that I spent $1,000 for the frame, front shock and derailleur. Until Wheel World does help me out, I will continue to bash them any chance I get. Bottom line, the GT frame sucks and Wheel World is even worse. However, if they choose to help out, I will retract this statement.

[Feb 19, 2002]
Brian Henning

Strength:

When I first bought this bike, I really enjoyed the amount of cushion provided by the full suspension, and was psyched about hitting the trail. Tried several other comparable bikes, including GF Sugar, Giant NRS, Klein, etc. Nothing compared to the plush ride provided by the GT. So I hit the trail...

...and after 8 months of use, the @$#%&ing rear shock bolt gave way and the frame cracked. I've read several other reviews on this site, and it appears that multiple persons have experienced this same problem. The bike shop that sold me the GT also explained that at least 5 of their customers had experienced this problem. They were offering $200 upgrade to the Giant NRS 1 frame (switch over most other components). I'm doing the same after reading the positive reviews on the NRS 1.

Wish this bike would have held up because it was by far the most comfortable, but it's a shame that so many riders are having problems with the frame cracking. Apparantly Pacific (company that bought GT) is hitting most of the bike shops in the Colorado area to reinvigorate commitment to GT products, but I don't think they'll be able to drum up enough support. Also learned that the cracking problem was due to the frames being overheated during treatment, and now the new frames from Pacific are being manufactured out of Taiwan, but haven't learned about their durability, and don't really care at this point given what I've learned and read. See ya GT!

Previously rode a hardtail.

[Feb 13, 2002]
Uncle-aLz

Strength:

i-Drive, looks and performance!!!

NONE!!!

I've place approx. 1500 miles on this bike both mountain and road and it has worked out awesome! I weigh 200 pounds and (knock on wood) I haven't broken anything yet. I love the bike and the i-Drive is great. GT/Pacific is coming out with their new line of mountain bikes and they're going to somewhat stay lookin the same.

[Oct 28, 2001]
Eric Appis

Strength:

i-Drive, weight, parts, etc...

Seat Post

Great Bike, Love this bike, anyone that rides it wants to know where to get one. Really too bad GT is selling their bikes to Pacific....The sad thing is that now you may find them in Wal-Mart with cheap parts on them...we'll see. Keep an eye out for dealers selling GT's cheap to get them off the floor. If you find one, buy it!!!

[Dec 26, 2001]
Paul

Strength:

I-Drive is sweet!

FRAME! Seat Pod has numerous cracks...First showed up after only 8 months of riding now getting worse...

Called Pacific Cycle LLC today Dec. 26 2001 re waranttee... they openly admitted that the seat pods are "faulty product" and suggest I bring it to a local retailer... No waranttees will even be considered until February 2002. Company says they are waiting for shipment of new I Drive frames from Asia. However all other GT waranttees will only last for a year from purchase date. Why then are retailers selling this frame on their floors?? A law suit waiting to happen perhaps a recall is in order guys... Sure hope my seat pod stays together until Feb...

[Jul 28, 2006]
Nick

Strength:

a very nice ride. this bike is very forgiving while jumping. the fox float rear suspension is real nice esspecialy with the lockout.

the frame is a piece of crap. i bought it used with very little miles on it. I rode it about 40 miles and the bolt above the rear suspension cracked eventually cracking the frame a little. i was lucky and was able to get the frame fixed. i am a little worried about how this bike will preform in the future.

i would not recomend this bike for anybody. i thought it would hold up better. for the type of riding i did there was no way this bike should have broken.

[Nov 14, 2001]
Sean

Strength:

Slow speed stabilty, relatively good pedal efficiency for a 4" travel bike

The WEEEEAAAK upper shock mount on frame. I have cracked two frames.

As much as I first liked the bike, I will never put my leg over another I-Drive piece of s**t frame again. Any abuse that I can throw at that thing it should have taken with ease. The first time that the frame cracked (buckled), I was literally on the most tame section of trail and I slid right of the seat because the seat mast completely buckled!
I had a hell of a time with the warranty because it looked like such a huge impact. Then a new frame and a couple months later I took my bike into a shop for some routine maintenance and SURPRISE, two hairline cracks in the frame!

To the guy below that can't believe the stories of this happening, believe it. Look at the Mountain Bike Action website (ask RC), there are more stories (a lot more).

IF YOU DO ANY TECHNICAL OR TRAIL RIDING AT ALL, DO NOT BUY THIS FRAME. Obviously GT was tired of everyone telling them how beefy the 99 I-Drives were so they cheaped out on frame material. No chillis for the overall rating as who the *#%$ wants to deal with this, especially now that GT is bankrupt.

Specialized Enduro, Brodie Thumper

[Aug 10, 2001]
Steve

Strength:

Feels light in spite of the weight, agile, fast and slow, consistent and predictable.

Me, and, flexy seat stays under hard braking

My ex-racer buddy(195-210lbs) bought this same bike(med. frame) and bent the(weak)upper shock pivot bolt which deformed the mount flanges. GT warranteed the frame but replaced it with a XCR1500; the shop swapped over all of the parts. When I rode it it felt like a sports car compared to my Lg. frame XCR4000 but I didn't like the brakes(Koski's) or the seat(SDG). I saw the deal on this frame/shock and Manitou Mars at Supergo and decided to spec. my own parts from JensonUSA(great to work with). I feel like my bike is better than the factory spec.'d bike. I can't tell the diff. between XT & LX components. Everything works great on this bike, but the brake booster is a must. LX brakes are much better than Koski(sorry Koski).
I hover around 170-180 lbs. and we climb and descend anything that won't cost a paycheck, and we can fly through
twisty singletrack w/excelent control. Some people say this bike is twitchy but I call it sporty. I have never raced but started riding w/zero excperience in 98' on my XCR4000
and feel like the i-Drive bike is the best bike for the all around, nonspecific rider. I haven't broken anything on this bike. Athough maintainence is a must, I give this bike top ratings for my own presonal type of riding.

99'XCR4000