GT 1999 XCR-2000 Full Suspension Bike

1999 GT XCR-2000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-3 QR20, 4.0" travel fork

Colleen   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2001]
Strength:

This is the first bike I have owned. I like the feel of the bike, when it is not creeking due to cracks.

Well, where do I start? I bought this bike 2 years ago and am now on my THIRD cracked frame. I havn't replaced it yet, as you know GT went bankrupt. I wonder why? It has cracked in the same spot, on the seat mast, two cracks on each side. Everyone has told me this is very unusual, but I think it is just a matter of time before A LOT more crack. The design is flawed. Poor Huffy doesn't know what they got into.
PS- GT replaced my first xcr 2000 frame with a 2000 1.0 (twice) and they cracked too.

Do not buy a GT!

Ghemi   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2001]
Strength:

its pretty light for what it is, theres not much bobbing, the marzocchi with mine is sweet, the i drive is pretty low maitenance

seals on the fox float air suck nut sack, rims are always outta true, v brakes suck, well if this is aboot the frame then its pretty decent besides its a little weird lookin

this bike is pretty good for some xc and some freeride stuff but its not built up enough for what i started to do, i completely destroyed the fox R in back and tacoed a rim or 2 the only things that survived weret the frame and the fork, i started doing things to big for it so i got a used yeti 6 in travel and it rules, i gave the gt to my little bro 4 flamin chilis cause this is the bike that got me into mtbing

Similar Products Used: cannondale jekyl 1000, specialized rockhopper, giant xtc 3, specialized enduro, gt i drive 4.0 (01 version)
gerard lieshout   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2001]
Strength:

oops, hard to tell. it rides very swell when it doesn't break.

this is going to be my second frame i broke. and i'm not happy about it. there are cracks all over the frame: near the upper shock mount, near the lower shock mount and on top of the big eccentric. that's where all the noise is coming from!!!!
i'm going to return it to my lbs. and see what they tell me. my first new frame took the importer brasseur in belgium half a year to be ridden again. i wonder how long this is going to take!!!

i'm not happy with this bike, with GT. i really truly don't want a new frame. it will break very soon again.
i'm really interested in the new specialized enduro frame but i just want the frame and not a complete bike.
you will hear from me again, very soon.
if i were you don't buy a GT. be sensible, it has just been taken over by a new company. just imagine how they will help customers with a broken frame. i know it takes a long, long time.

Similar Products Used: specialized fsr, klein, cannondale
Don   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

Very secure ride and plush, whether cranking uphill or careening downhill. Strong LX brakes. Tracks well on tricky downhill descents. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Durability. The I-Drive develops a clunking sound at each bump or impact and is only fixed by regularly changing out the BB. Haven't figured this out yet, but the eccentric cups are suspect (loose?) Looking for a manual how to take this thing apart for myself. The 9 speed regularly wears out. I'm on my second cassete, second chain and have replaced the small chainring. The cables need regular replacement because the cable is bare at the location dirt and water are most likely to enter. I've blown the seals on the Z-3. Marzocchi lost the shock and upgraded to a Z-1, which has harsh dampening. Sending it back to them to drill.

This a plush Ferarri, but like all exotic machinery they require regular maintenance - and expense. The I-Drive is the blessing and the problem. The bike's heavy, but I'm not a racer. As a strong 49 yr old rider, I beat the hell out of this bike and love it. If you find a maintenance free FS bike that rides this well, let me know. I rode the Specialized FSR at the shop before buying the GT and found the FSR way too harsh a ride. No regrets.

Similar Products Used: None. I've ridden the Y-bike and test driven the FSR
Jeremy Steiman   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2001]
Strength:

Gt I-Drive, Marzocchi fork, fox shock, frame design, great quality, and not to bad price

Weight, front der., 20mm fork is hard to find a replacement hub to fit it, fork sags and rear shock leaks when brocken in

This bike is a great bike no matter what king of rider you are. It is built to last and is a blast to ride. It is a great trail bike ang not to high mainteince. If you don't have one yet go get one or another GT with their inovatitve I-Drive and other technological achivements in the art of mountain bikeing.

Similar Products Used: Marin Juniper trail, Specialized rockhopper, Schwinn rocket 88 stage 2
JAy   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 1999]
Strength:

Overall Feel is good, the Z3 is super plush, willingto take the big hit's... The Air in the rear, is an overall different feel from the coil over. Very adjustable I like it alittle stiff to take the drop.

Only a few problems... the main spanner nut fell off on one of the first rides, fixed that.. bearrings came out of the QR20 hub during transportation to the riding grounds.... not a big deal....

overall a great bike for the ride

Similar Products Used: XCR 3000
Alex Bibby   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2000]
Strength:

Srong, plush Z3 fork. Plush Fox air shock. Decent componentry.

Front mech (from what people have been saying). No disc mounts. Risk of SERIOUSLY injuring yourself if you come off when going downhill, as this bike enables some seriously fast downhill speeds!!

From what I can see, I'm one of the only English people to submit a review here. Can't understand why that is - I go riding in one of the unforgiving National Parks of the U.K., and although I've only used this bike on a few rides so far, it seems to have a fantastic ride. I would agree with the comments about the forks - they are super smooth and stiff. The rear shock seems to be of a high quality too. Can't really fault the other components, all decent stuff with the exception of the front mech, which will probably wear out pretty soon. Tyres seem OK, but I may replace them with some Fire XC pros I have. As for the ride - flatish riding seems fine, going up hills is good, because the rear suspension adds enormous traction, and I don't think it weighs too much anyway (how much does it weigh in pounds? Somebody tell me). Going downhill is amazing, as you might expect. My final point is that this bike is top class, but because I bought it for ONLY £800 (when it was £1400) makes it even better! Hopefully it will last me a long time.....

Similar Products Used: Univega Hardtail.
Kevin Cox   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 06, 1999]
Strength:

i-drive, Maz z3 fork and Fox rear suspension

STX Front Derailer

This is an awesome fun bike, who cares if its a little heavy. Excellent value for the dollars. I have no problem with the front derailer shifting, because I seldomly have to shift when the suspension is real active with the 9 speed hub and have the rear shock maxed for fast rebound. It climbs really well, the rear suspension with the i-drive actually improves traction with almost no loss of power. This bike eats up the downhills and will hop and jump like a rabbit. Fun, Fun, Fun .............. I love this bike. Thank You GT for designing this bike, but dump the the STX derailler for an LX or XT. Kevin.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Raven, Specialized FS
Andreos   Downhiller [Aug 05, 1999]
Strength:

Da Bomb, Fox, i-Drive

front derailleur,WTB tires

This bike is worth all its money. The front and rear suspension works great. On fast downhills the QR20 is superb and the i-drive works great.