GT 1999 XCR-1000 Full Suspension Bike

1999 GT XCR-1000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Thomas Scrinzi   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2007]
Strength:

nice quality, the bike still looks brand new and work fine.

Seat and the Brakes

I-Drive works fine but i had to adjust after a hard down hill ride.
Breaks should be XT not LX

Similar Products Used: KTM 3000G
Prototype
unhappy   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2002]

The frame and GT

These frames have some sort of design flaw. I ride with a group that purchased 7 GT full suspensions ranging from the XCR LE to the 1.0. EVERY SINGLE ONE developed cracks in the frame. Most around the seat tube area. GT/Pacific will do nothing to support my LBS guy when he tries to collect on warranties. My bike was not even a year and a half old.

Gerald Heuman   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2007]
Strength:

Smooth ride, good looks, good components, light weight. and it is unique. Not to many otheres like this are out there. This baby still looks new and turns heads.

I have found none at this time.

Here we go, "The Bottom Line". In reaserching the pros and cons of this bike there was one major con that kept popping up. This was it"s frame design. There is a problem with bad welds on the seat post mount on some units. But in digging further into this problem, it became clear that most of the post where about people using this bike out side of it's design parameters, or pushing the bike to far. A large group of posts were from riders doing hard trail riding, or heavy jumping and or down hilling with their bikes. Granted at around $3000 one would think that one can do this and not have their investment break on them. (It is my bet that GT tried to design this model to be an all "around unit", and did not take into hand that there are people out there who want to get the most out of a ride, and would push the limits). But I digress. If you are looking for a unit that can be used for city streets, and going on the dirt trails, this is a good choice. Don't use this bike to jump the house or run it off the edge of a clif. This frame will not hold up to that type of use. It was designed to be used in a "trail riding, mountain biking" type application. For me this bike is a dream come true. I was going to buy a new Giant, but when this 7 year old beauty with her good looks was spotted, I was hooked. Happy Riding
Jerry

Similar Products Used: Giant (Sadona SE), Diamond Back (Ascent EX)
Yogi   [Sep 12, 2001]
Strength:

I Drive.(best FS concept means no chain jag while pedaling during heavy R susspension action... The BEst climbing bike cause of this.
Push harder up a hill go faster..And fly past everyone on the uphill.
Tracks really nice on the down hill.
Not my favorite at XC race day but very very good for the LONG HAUL

Heavy.
The company has gone KAPUTSKI NO WARRANTEES NO MORE.

Fantastic comfort bike with the ability to do any trail concidering the steepr down hill you go the shorter stem and lower seat. Its a great bike, alas its a tad heavy.
I have raced this macine XC and used it as a city basher too... it dont like going down steps too much with high preasure slicks very much but it can hack the beating...

IMPORTANT: ALWAYS TIGHTEN THE DOG BOLT(Small hex in large head(bad design)) to make the I-Drive unit last longer... mine lasted 2 years of abuse and exchanging the bearings was easy(compared to some)

Great Value cause of IDRIVE.

Very great all round bike.

DONT FORGET... dont expect a warrantee with this bike anymore.

Similar Products Used: nothing is similar to the I DRIVE
PC   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2001]
Strength:

Very strong, some low level squeak in the I-drive but clean and lube took care of that. Have done nothing but hard hitting riding. From the streets of Boston to the side of Loon Mountain and even some riding in Belgium!!

squeak as mentioned, decals have peeled after some VERY hardcore riding. Tires aren't very quality but what do you want?

Bought a XCR3000, CRACKED the frame, so GT replaced the frame with a 1000 frame and FOX air shock, offered to sell me all upgraded componants at a lower price, but I was fine with what I had. Took very good care of me. I even got a call from a district sales rep to fix things up. Have had great experence helping a friend buying a GT as well. A little tough to learn to ride. I say if you got a billion to blow shoot for this, if not don't even try.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR, Gary Fisher, Trek
russ knell   Weekend Warrior [Oct 10, 2006]
Strength:

versatile, strong(so far) positive ride, lite for a full sus.

not much for me, you do need to change quite a bit to get it right. value ratings down because i spent quite a bit and i am again!

standard can be iffy, but the frames are wicked if you get a US built one and not a far east one.i think the last US built ones may of been 2000/2001, build it to what you want and there is no stopping you. up or down. DH specific is a bridge too far but the kind of down hill you find on natural trails ect it kicks as~. climbs fantastic.best climbing full sus ive tried yet.
some say its heavy but i go riding with a lad on a pace RC303 (great english hard tail) and fully built up his only just shades mine. like it so much i bought another frame(i-drive 4.0) which ive stripped and sprayed to build a heavy duty more aggresive bike, 150mm travel, big rims,disc front and back etc. GREAT FRAME! not made for fattys!

Similar Products Used: scott FX G Zero X2, Gary Fisher cake 2 delux, cyote(something-cant remember)and a second gt(idrive 4.0)
LOUIS   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 1999]
Strength:

Excellent climbing full suspension.Very comfy on all kinds of conditions.Like GT says every trail faster. This bike helped me improve my technical riding.

GT should have put better brakes on this bike. Also shifting to the small chain ring has been a problem. The stock tires were real dogs.

I RESEARCHED FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN BIKES QUITE EXTENSIVELY OVER A 6 MONTH PERIOD. I TEST RODE MANY BIKES. I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE GT I DRIVE XCR 1000 HAD THE BEST SUSPENSION, FRAME ,AND DEALER SUPPORT OF ANY BIKE I RESEARCHED. ALL THE SHORT COMINGS THAT ARE PRESENT ON MY CURRENT BIKE ARE EASY TO UPGRADE WHEN THEY GET BROKEN.

Similar Products Used: Trek y full syspension,(owned it for 1.5 years)Specialized FSR and Ellsworth Truth
Michael   Racer [Jul 15, 1999]
Strength:

The XCR 1000 powers the climbs and glides over the bumps. I love the bike on tight single-track and long fire road climbs, I used to suck on the downhills and shine on the climbs and now I can excel at both. Can the bike climb? Ask the guy who was on the Trek OCLV hardtail, I believe he may have something to tell you... The angles help the bike carve the tight switchback corners and the excellent dual suspension design helps the bike float over the obsticles.

Slight wheel spin on very steep standing climbs.

If you are serious about your riding and spend the energy to correctly tune your bike, you are going to love this the ride. A serious threat to all the hardtail holdouts. Save your money, buy your frame, build your bike....Now go ride !!!

Similar Products Used: Trek SL Y Bike, GT LTS, Schwinn Sweet Spot S96.10 and a Bontrager Race-lite.
Paul Bentley   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2000]
Strength:

Plush ride, smooth handling, reassuring crutch clearance, cool looks, polished Aluminium finish

Bounce on road sections where you can feel the bikes weight, irritating clunks and rattles, 'dogbone' assembly play develops quickly, rear shock mounting play developed almost straight away. Impossible to 'red dot' it as per described as essential in the manual - I run 275 psi in the shock, and dare not go higher (I know you can push 300 if you really want to) - I think my weight is the max for this design - 13 English stones (13x14 lbs).

You need to spec-up the frame with nice expensive bits to get a lively responsive ride, and turn the XCR in to something that can chomp away at hardtail rivals. On the road it remains draining to keep a pace up, but up & down trails this tool is very very nice.

Similar Products Used: LTS1000XCR (the ltd edition 1998 product XC lightwt special .... it busted )
PAUL RUDMAN   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

After being a loyal hardtail rider and 2 Eco-challenges under my belt. I was willing to give full suspension a try after hearing GT & Ned Overend squaking about the benefits of riding a full suspension bike.
Boy, was I amazed on how they were right, every trail I am crushing faster than my past times.

None, maybe the LX brakes, but they work

If you are afraid of the couple extra pounds & are on the fence tettering on whether or not to buy a full suspension bike. Let me attest, this bike will immediately change your mind. THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!
The Ratt