GT 1999 LTS-2000 DS Full Suspension Bike

1999 LTS-2000 DS

1999 GT LTS-2000 DS, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-1 BAM QR20, 5.0" travel fork

Damian Hendren   Cross Country Rider [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

Z1 Bomber Forks, full LX spec (no Deore slipped in where you can't see it)

RockShock Deluxe Rear Shock (blown twice), Hayes cable actuated hydraulic brakes (just don't work), rear top linkage (cracked twice), rubbish Michelin tyres (too light-weight and split), Mavic 221's (rear rim is spoked incorrectly on hub side and buckles easily)

Good points and bad points but over-all very average bike which I wouldn't have bought in hindsight.
Good hill climbing bike, not much bob, and good over mildly bumpy ground but doesn't handle any large jumps and even rutted tracks present problems at speed.
Probably suit a light rider (under 75kg)with cross country riding as main aim.
I rode mine for 13 months before the cost of maintaining it going outweighed (by a long way) starting again and getting a decent bike. For the first 8 months it did a bit over 5000km on the road towing a Bob Yak trailer, handled this well except continuous rear wheel damage - easy to pedal and good seating position for long rides. As soon as it got off road the bike started showing its shortcomings. Have kept it in the garage and now ride Giant AC2 off road.
Main problems were:
- Long stem & fork angle created steering problems with bike, doesn't track well and tends to twitch.
- Rear suspension action is reasonable , soaks up bumps and holds ground well on single tracks but does not handle any large jumps. Shock bottoms out too easily, have blown rear shock twice. Also bottoming out on large jumps transfers force up to top linkage arm on rear suspension, have cracked this twice and buckled it - due to age of bike replacement parts are getting hard to find. Because of set-up of rear suspension its hard to tune the bike where the suspension effectively works on normal tracks without completely bottoming out on a drop. Always a massive trade-off between cross country performance and jumping.
- Cable actuated Hayes hydraulic disk brake is very bad, performs worse than standard cable Hayes disk brake - in fact worse than standard V-Brake. Had to upgrade this to Hayes full hydraulic system which gave excellant stopping power.
- Z1 Bombers seemed very soft but moved to heavier grade oil which has given a better action. Very strong forks, handle big drops without damage so far.
- Rear wheel, Mavic 221, had been spoked road bike style and as result buckled continuously until it collapsed completely and chewed up rear derailuer & chain with it - moved to heavier duty box rim.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn S10, Marin Pine Mountain, Marin Indian Fire Trail, Giant AC2
Dylan Johnson   Downhiller [Aug 20, 2006]
Strength:

the body is real tough

not for sure yet

gt r the best built bikes so if anyone likes downhill u should get the lts2000ds

Similar Products Used: gt peformer
Gwyn Evans   Downhiller [Dec 19, 2001]
Strength:

The looks.........WOW! I bought the frame on its own and it rides sweet. Suspension is plush, easy to keep in top workin order.

Trunion collar that is supplied on the bike at top of rear shock snaps too easily and so if you don't have a new one.....get one. I got a new one from Goldtech and it is much stronger.

Top looks, top ride till the rear shock falls out. Then you get a new trunion collar from goldtech and ur away. No one can catch u on a GT. This bike is no different. More suited to the D/H er then the XC jeyboys.

Similar Products Used: Giant warp ds 100
Specialized 98 FSR enduro
Jacob Blount   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2002]
Strength:

Great full suspension bike, very light (upgraded rims). i love it, it rides smooth as butta.

seat always comes loose. thats about it

This bike whips it. i got a great deal on it and i would say it is worth how much ever you pay for it, although i did buy it already upgraded. It is fast, and does not have much rear movement with every crank, I love this bike

Similar Products Used: none
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

Comfort and looks, bomber Z1 forks.
Great on single track.

GT service (or lack of it)

Had the bike for a couple of years and despite being a bit flabby, it has got me up some steep mountain climbs. My only problem has been with GT themselves. I lost a bolt from the swingarm 9 months ago and I AM STILL WAITING FOR A REPLACEMENT! Luckily a friend of mine is an engineer and made me a new one.
The service is cr@p.

Similar Products Used: C'dale Super V
Quasimoto   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2001]
Strength:

Overall it has held up well. I am a big boy 6'-3" 220 lbs. so I can be hard on it. Haven't broken anything major yet. Frame it solid. Installed the bearing kit that GT offered for a short time (they discontinued.) that tends to quite the link down a lot. Make sure you lock tite all the bolts on the LTS. I have lost a few on the trail. LTS is a proven bike, but can be high maintenance. Usually a good Idea to tear down and re-grease links at least once a year. Components that came with it sucked. Have upgraded all the LX stuff to XTR. this bike has a lot of travel 6" front and rear. Rock shock super deluxe has held, but time to send in for seals & gas at the end of the year.

Due to the frame design, and my size, I bent the seat post. due to the 31.6 size, not many products make one that big, however, race face has held for me for over a year. I found that I had to have the 1" offset on the seat. I felt to cramped without it. Creaks on occasion, mostly dry, dusty long rides. It is a really heavy bike though. Weighs in the low 30's. I call it the brick. Had a squeak that was driving my tech's crazy, after a full tear down and replacement of bottom bracket, my tech sprayed tri flow down the seat tube and it has yet to be heard from. GT wasn't much help with that Problem.

I am impressed that this bike has held up to my size and weight. Very sturdy. Great for the big guys. I have rationed that the weight means strength, especially since I haven't broken or cracked anything yet. I live with it. I pray to God that GT doesn't slip on customer service or quality since Magna bought them. How did that happen?

Similar Products Used: Trek.
powderhoundpete   Downhiller [Apr 18, 2001]
Strength:

very plush 5 inch's of travel. I love this bike and it rides great but...

...Let's start with the frame design. The rear linkage has so called travel chips. The travel chips wear out and causes unneccesary play or knocking. I tried all last year to get new chips but they "couldn't get any" now I am talking about canada's gt waranty here (norco) Anyhow I broke my rear linkage right at the worn out travel chip. gt warranty did not cover the cost. $120. Anyhow I bucked up and paid them! Next my rear shock blew up. I sent it back and it happened the next ride. Bell sports (rock shox) pulled through and replaced the shock. The hayes cable disc brakes beware!!! They Don't work very well and I had to send them back to warranty. They told me they were having lots of problems however it would be $100 to up grade. Any how my rear linkage is bent again and I am running v brakes just waiting to pay another 120 dollars to get me through another month or 2 on my bike And I still don't have new travel chips.

The bike rides great! Gt's warranty could use some help!

Similar Products Used: santa cruz Bullet.
Scott Spielman   Downhiller [Apr 14, 2001]
Strength:

This bike is the cadallac of bikes, very plush ride, responsive, excellent travel, great forks, EXCELLENT customer support.

My Frame cracked right at the upper pivot point right below the seat.

This bike has been nothing but good to me, when the frame cracked GT sent me a LTS 1000 frame, who can complain about that?! Sure it creaks every now and then in dry riding environment but a little judy butter and that all goes away. This is by far the best investment I made into a Mountain bike. I would recommend it to everyone interested in full suspension bikes. Would like to try the new XCR though, too bad they discontinued these bad boys.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Super-V Gary Fisher
Patrick W.   Weekend Warrior [Apr 02, 2001]
Strength:

Incredible frame design and geometry. Superstrong frame. Climbing, descending, tight turns

I bought this bike "used" (ridden perhaps 10 times) from a friend and I must say that I'm totally blown away by it's performance. My bike, a LTS 1000 DS (-00), is really a piece of art. The frame is made by Easton, beatifully welded by GT, machinepolished and with killerlooks! My friend bought the frame while he was visiting the GT factory and naturally, there is a great difference between this frame and the ones GT make in Taiwan!
This is the kind of bike that you just feel is right for you the first time you mount it. The geometry is spot on and the frame simply gives you confidence to ride any terrain! The ride is superplush (if you want to), handles all situations. I find myself going faster, having 100% confidence in this bike. No prolems keeping up with guys beeing 10 tens fitter than yourself! I've been riding since I was 16 years old (34 now) and I cannot believe the amount of performance I'm getting from this bike! Buy with total confidence, just make sure you get an american made frame.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F2000, Gary Fisher Joshua, GT Zaskar, etc.
lefty   Weekend Warrior [Jan 20, 2001]
Strength:

light strong 5inches plush rides the way I want it too and adjustable head angles and bb height oh yeh cheap too no squeaks nothin wierd climbs good too

nothin so far no blown shocks nothing

awesome bike
I may be upgradin my rear shock too a stratos so i can get more travel like 6.12 inches to be exact!! that the only way this bike could get better.
this bike kills on dhs and climbe pretty good for a decked out freeride bike with disks and big tires huge tires like 2.35 intense back 2.7 intense front all in all i love this bike.

Similar Products Used: k2s other gt fishers jamises giants basically every company's fs bikes and alotta hard tails and of course huffys <- great bikes haha