Giant 2001 XTC AC 1 Full Suspension Bike

Giant 2001 XTC AC 1 Full Suspension Bike

[Apr 23, 2012]
DHan

Strength:

excellent frame

No comment

excellent frame

[Feb 10, 2012]
staylor12

Strength:

wish it was carbon fiber.all suspension

none.ride day in & day out.had since 2001 next to no real problems

the best money ever spent for transportation for the past11 years.still in top shape.

[Dec 16, 2011]
bernieships

Strength:

solid frame, high bottom bracket, perfect weight for all-mountain/light freeride

Rear wheel gets a little bit squirrelly on downhill.

This bike is a great do it all bike. You can ride it up without too much suffering and it flies back down. It takes drops without a problem. Sometimes the back end gets a little bit squirrely but I think I need to adjust the shock. I'd recommend this frame to anyone looking to build a fun all-mountain bike.

Kona Stinky

[Sep 04, 2010]
Bird26
Downhiller

Strength:

- Tough as nail frame.
- Easy rear travel adjust to convert between XC and Semi-DH.
- Relatively light considering how much abuse it can take.
- With wide enough tire, this bike runs over almost everything.

It's a bit hard to ride it uphill but then again I never expect it to with a double crown fork I installed.

I came across this frame by accident 2 years ago, figured I'd give it a shot after reading a few reviews. 2 years later, this bike lives up to its expectations.

I was planning to buy a new frame when this one breaks but doesn't no matter what I throw at it, it stays strong. After breaking almost every part on the bike (brake, fork, rear shock, rims and even pedals), I gave up waiting. It'll probably outlast my life lol.

GT Force 1.0 2010, Giant NRS Air 2005, Giant Faith 1 2006, Giant MCM D 2007, Giant XTC HB3 2009.

[Aug 16, 2010]
slavin_dave
Downhiller

Strength:

Has a smooth ride, rock shox rear suspension has become a little soft as ive grown from a 100lb rider into a 200lb rider, absorbs heavy and light blows but wont hold tight while cruising flats so it robs a little power but not much. love the stance of the ride, slightly back to jam the downhill slams into the rear suspension and has a wide enough grip and sturdy feel to the front to have you covered for front wheel impacts. not the best for freestyle riding because of the rear suspension setup, it wont be hopping any guard rails but if youve got the balls itll take logs, curbs, small fences and other large obstacles with enough speed and has a nice soft landing every time

not good for riding in the rain, the front tire will always directly spray the chain rings with sand and dirt, where i live we have ash in the soil so it really eats through parts especially if its not cleaned after every ride and lubricated constantly. rear fork will only allow for a maximum tire size of 2.3" while the front fork can comfortably hold a monster 2.5" the rear fork connection bearing bolts will loosen slowly and eventually leave walking a floppy bike. larger riders will also beat up rear rims quite a bit because of the weight distribution is about 30/70 for average riding and can really wreck your gear. this bike really wasnt built for anybody over 6', im about 6'4" so i spend allot of cash replacing critical parts

The final word is its an awesome bike, ive been rallying it since i was 12 years old and about 100lbs, im now 19 and about 190lbs, and it is absolutely true you cannot outgrow this bikes capabilities, i used to think i was beating it up as a kid and i can comfortably say that i really beat it up now, every time i ride, every day and it never quits on me besides something stupid like a derailleur hanger or flat tire. awesome downhiller, hucks jumps with ease, hops hard if you can bottom out the suspension enough to pounce yourself into jumps, great climber with comfortable seating in uphill stance. but honestly if youre a big guy, dont buy this bike its just not right for larger people even though it will still work

giant, carbon fiber womens frame, stock components

[Nov 30, 2008]
lukeorion

Strength:

The frame was strong, and the bike was light and super efficient climbing. It accelerated extremely quickly, and was always predictable on the downhill. The 80mm travel is just enough suspension to cushion the hard hits while maintaining control at all times. This is an ideal cross-country bike and the perfect transition bike for someone coming to it from a hard-tail.

The only fault was that the rear end pivots needed rebuilding about once a year. However, I should qualify that I am 220 Lbs and fairly fast on the downhill sections. A lighter rider might only need to do this every several years. The 2001-2003 NRS bikes had sealed bearings for most of the pivots but the ones by the rear dropouts were actually a "top hat" shaped plastic bushing which wore out twice as fast as the rest of the bearings. The only way to replace these bushings was to order the complete rear end rebuild kit from Giant for $125. (I looked EVERYWHERE else first). Due to this, I felt obligated to rebuilt the rear end before I sold it locally last week. The 2004-2005 bike design changed to all bearing in the rear end.

I'm a heavy guy and rode this bike fairly hard and it held up great, thanks in part to my choosing to put upper-end SRAM stuff on it from the start. The frame design may be a few years old but there is nothing outdated about this bike. It doesn't have the travel of an newer bike, like the Trance, but its a more efficient climber than the Trance, and more predictable in tight conditions. You still see guys doing cross-country races on the NRS. It treated me well and if I would recommend it to anyone, especially someone looking for their first full-suspension cross-country bike.

Trek Fuel, Jamis Dakar

[Jul 17, 2008]
fang_x

Strength:

Very Great bike, stock suspension isent the best but it works better then the walmart brand bikes^_^. I love the brakes on this bike and the overall size and the way it seems to flow over obstacles.

shocks suck

My favorite bike so far, im planning to upgrade the suspension, then it can take everything i throw at it.

other giant bikes

[Jul 13, 2003]
Jeff

Strength:

Awesome climber. Great all around bike. Can't beat the value of this bike.

Judy fork sucks. Creeks a lot. Shattered the Race Face cranks.

I bought this bike from an LBS after it had been stripped of the wheels, brakes, and seat for $600. So, I put on Rhino Lite wheels (cheap but solid) with Hutchinson Alligator tires (awesome climbers) and a Selle Italia Trans Am seat. I slipped on Avid Mechanicals and I quickly replaced the Judy fork with a Marzocchi EXR fork, since the Judy just couldn't handle my 200 pound body.

I'm an adventure racer, so I mainly use the bike for XC, but I ride it hard when descending (I think that I'm a downhiller at heart).

After about 6 months, the Race Face cranks (big and middle rings) shattered...we're talking three pieces each...while descending. I replaced them and it's been fine since.

The bike has a lot of creeks which seem to come and go, but they're nothing to get worked up about.

Finally, if you're considering purchasing one of these babies, realize that the rear suspension is not going to soak up the hits like a fully active rear suspension frame. You'll feel a lot more of the trail with this system. However, you'll climb faster and more efficiently than your bro on the Specialized Enduro (just ask my riding partner).

I'm dropping the money for a RockShox Pyslo SL U-Turn to once again upgrade the front shock and I'll eventually go tubeless, otherwise, I'm going to ride this beast into the ground. Outstanding XC bike...just not recommended for serious hucking. XC riders should look no further...this is the bike for you.

Giant Raineer and other hardtails.

[Jun 30, 2003]
Nando Redrum

Strength:

Strong Frame, Excellent handling

RockShox pro deluxe. This is not a shock for heavy dudes like me. I weigh 225. The seat is pretty uncomfortable too.

I bought this bike from a friend who put it through some serious hardcore drop abuse. Now I’m riding it and though I don’t take it off 10 to 15’ drops, I’m content with 4’ to 6’. The bike handles well and has taught me a lot about control. Some of my friends say eventually I’ll want to get a better bike and even though that’s probably true, I still think this bike rocks. I’m nowhere near the rank of a DH veteran but riding this bike makes me feel like I could reach that point one day. Besides the component problems I’ve faced (replacement of a broken derailleur hanger, a sh_tty rear hub, a non-drive side crank, The rock shox rear shock etc.), and the ever continuing falls and crashes, this bike still holds up to my abuse. On top of this I weigh 225 making this bike awesome for tolerating this kind of treatment. This bike is great for the 200 plus freerider. Just makes sure the components are durable enough to withstand the hardcore rider within you.

[Jun 29, 2003]
Happy rider

Strength:

Style, frame was produced with Renault F1 team, tubeless tires, Avid mechanical disc brakes, ...

Paint used, seat, handle bar too long and not so good, ...

You can almost do anything with this bike, its a very good all conditions bike even if its a cross country bike only.
A good purchase!
I rated it 4 Flaming Chilis for the stock bike...
with my upgrades I would rate it 5 Falming Chilis!