Giant 2001 Warp DS 1 Full Suspension Bike

Kyle Galaz   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 2010]
Strength:

Great value, great components, awesome style & design.

If you push the limits the bike needs upgrades. But thats ok cuz any bike does.

I have had this bike for 10 years no and I still love it. Its like part of the family. Its older that my 2 kids. I use to commute with it to work 10 miles a day, then I got into downhill and gnarly trails after a few huge crashes and a bunch of broken bones I now ride it casually again.

Michael Graham   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2002]
Strength:

Price, Fork, Brakes, 2.4" Tires

rear derailluer hanger...broke it twice, not sure how exactly.

Very good freeride bike for the price...can't get any other bike with disc brakes, marzzochi bomber and 4.5" of rear travel for under $1000. Even though the entire Warp line is a recreational/comfort bike, after cutting down the seat tube and putting platform pedals on it, i have grown to love it as a freerider. Had my doubts with the suspension/rear triangle, but it has held up to 4.5 foot drops to asphalt quite well...very good bike to get as the next step towards downhilling/freeriding.

aaron   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

This review is for 2002 Warp DS1!

Super strong hydrolic disc brakes(see note below),4 or 5" of smooth rear travel, not super heavy, all sealed bearings, decent 4" bomber fork, beefy cranks, rear shock works suprisingly well considering it is not name brand, strong double wall rims, 5 yr frame warranty, sweet price and looks cool

NOTE:I had to use washers to center the calipers on the discs front and rear so they would not rub but then they worked purfect!
I don't care for the grip shifters. The bomber exr fork has no rebound adjustment and you need a allen wrench for compression. Seat hurts my ass and squeaks(the seat squeaks not my ass) Pedals suck.

This bike is freakin awesome for the price. The problems with it are very minor. The only thing the bike won't do is give you bragging rights with your buddies on who has the most expensive bike, but you will be able to stay up with them anywhere and have the extra $500 to $2000 they spent in your pocket! With the extra money I saved I can get the special upgrade goodies as I go. Get the 2002 Warp DS1 if you want a great all purpose xc/fr/dh bike with some expensive features but don't have a lot of cash.

Similar Products Used: Lots of bmx and road bikes but no mtb before.
nick chat   Downhiller [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

execelent bike nothing beats it great on jumps and on trail damn good disk breaks for the price its a good bike and its only 21.5 or somethin.A-

The back shock could be better but its ok

great bike

Similar Products Used: warp ds2
Oscar Serrano   Downhiller [Oct 01, 2001]
Strength:

Awesome brakes, very plush for (Z5). I have the 2002 model which has Mph giant hydrualic brakes. Very soft on 5-8 foot drops. Great bike for the money!

Weak crank that creeks. Sram 7.0 suck. I upgraded to xt shifters and r. derailer

Great buy for the money!

Similar Products Used: Gt hardtail
Nick   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2002]
Strength:

handling, balance, TIRES (i love them), brakes, ride-very plush, even for me bein 130lbs

i wasnt happy with the Z5 forks, that weak rear hanger-i've replaced it 5 times, not bad though, its just $10

GREAT value, strong frame, decent components... takes everything i throw at it, but because of its age, and the way i ride it, an upgrade will come very soon (AC2 in mind). its been a very fun, reliable, plush ride... i reccomend it to anyone who is lookin for a good FS bike on a budget. the only problem area bein the hanger and bolts loosenin on the front and rear discs. the bike jumps very well, takes 4ft drops easily, 5ft not so easy, but do-able

Similar Products Used: FSR, kona bear, fisher joshua
richard harrington   Weekend Warrior [Sep 29, 2001]
Strength:

plush travel good entry level

pedals,grips,

awsome drops 5-7 feet lots of noise.climbs great with no front derauler

Similar Products Used: zero g3
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2001]
Strength:

Disc Brakes, wow what took so long?
Plush Suspension !

Grip shifter's are way too long and will end up causing unintetional shifts in the rough until you cut them down to a useable size and put some decent grips in place. The total package is a little heavy but then the price is so light.

I think you get a lot for your money especially the disc brakes. There are few other dual suspension bike's out there at a $900 list. With a few minor mods this is a great weekend player. Along with the flexibility in the suspension adjustments including the rear lock out and the sticky tires, the handling is good for the 1K price.
I like the bike a lot, almost as much of a value as my wife's DS-3.

Shaun   Downhiller [Nov 18, 2001]
Strength:

the shocks ruled!But a better rear shock should be there

none from me. I haven't rode it that much.

this bike ruled. I'm olny 5'10" 130lbs so it was good for me.This would be a great beginer bike for less weighted riders.Anyone who is really heavy should move to an upgrade bike,or better suspension.

Similar Products Used: none
William Lambert   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2001]
Strength:

The full suspension really works. The Hayes mechanical disk brakes are a real plus.

I have wide feet. The original pedals pinched the toe strap between my shoes and the cranks. After 100 miles, both straps were worn through. Replaced the pedals with VP 882's. No more strap problems. The frame design didn't leave a good place for the bottle cage. It is directly behind the back wheel. Unless you like to chew on grit, you won't use it much.

All my riding is non-technical on canal tow paths and rail trails. Some portions are quite rough with stones and tree roots. I wanted a bike that would smooth out the rough spots. This bike is it!!! Between the Moto Raptors and the dual suspension, the ride of this bike is really terrific. Others have complained about the grip shift. For me, they have worked well. One unexpected shift in 300 miles. The Hayes mechanical disk brakes are terrific. Only two fingers will really slow you down plus removing and installing a wheel is a snap. For the way I use it, this bike is perfect.