Giant 2000 XtC Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Flyer68   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight frame 2.5kg as heavy as a Anthem. Welding n paintwork. Rear vintage sid dual air rockshox. Still able to be very compatible with current components.

None so far...

Din know abt so many good review of this bike until recently!!! Always in love with full sus. Decided to swap all the components from a Giant Terrago hardtail to this frame. The rear shocks comes with air leakage problem. To my discovery, rebuild kit are no longer build by Rockshox. I had to find substitutes. Yes, found some right sized o-rings to replaced out the damaged ones. Coated plenty of vaseline on them. Had put in a fresh serving of shock oil in oil can then compressed it to 175psi. Assemble back then pump 180psi in pos n 50psi in neg. No air leakage was detected in the water pail test ;-)
Set sag abt 20%. Waiting for the dirty chain to be cleaned tomorrow then fix it back. Excited to test it this coming weekend.

Similar Products Used: Polygon Supreme 2.0 full sus
Pat Mullen   Racer [Nov 27, 2001]
Strength:

Light enough. Cheap enough. Good travel. Handles well. Very responsive.

I broke my frame after a year of use (many things that shouldn't be done to a xc bike). Giant replaced it no questions asked.

It's a very hard bike to beat for the money. I raced all season on it and really appreciated the travel on the decents. It handles well and climbs with gusto. DO NOT try any drop-offs on the bike though. You'll bust your frame like I did. It's better and more fun to just buy the right bike for that if that's what you want to do. All around a darn good bike from a darn good company especially for the money.

Similar Products Used: GT i-drive, Cannondale super-V, assorted hardtails...
matt s   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2001]
Strength:

excellent value for money, top notch suspension with its (no sag) technology, reasonable weight and superb brakes

I get chain suck everytime I chane from the middle ring to the inner ring at the front, sh*t handlebar grips and I have heard that the hayes calipers break if pressure is applyed in reverse, ex. trials hopping

sick XC bike but not to be used on any big stuff or trials.
Great value for money with excellent specs.

Similar Products Used: giant hardtail, specialized
Jim A   Weekend Warrior [Nov 10, 2002]
Strength:

Well, here I am the first reviewer, finally coming back after having the bike for 2.5 years...

Overall been a solid performer. Changed the travel on the Judy's but not had any problems.

Didn't care for the shifters, upgraded to LX, Grips were too narrow (Personal Preference) Cheap RaceFace crankset has been crooked from day one (not severely, but I can see it if I look), will eventually throw it out and buy something straight, still have the original brakes on the shelf (because Giant should have been spanked for putting such crap on in the first place), the hydraulic Shimano disks I put on, still make me happy, Went with the Red Michelens just for fun, (between the gaudy paint and the tires, I get questions all the time about the bike...).

Hey I still love it... But there are days I wish I kept my Avalanche for doing some trials.

Similar Products Used: Metal things with two wheels on them.
itai   [Jan 07, 2002]
Strength:

best cross country bike yet

rear derailier knocks the frame whith bumps, original sadle sucks.
frames break at cranck, replaced by dealer

great all rounder, disc brakes are amzing, good rear suspension.

Similar Products Used: kona fs, giant 990, khs fx
Chris   [Oct 23, 2001]
Strength:

A lot of bike for the bucks

Major design flaw that the MFG knows about regarding the the shock mount welds on the seat tube.

Totally bummed that I broke this bike. I had finally gotten to the point that I was feeling very confident with it. The thing that really bums me out is that Giant actually knows about the design flaw (the shock mount welds fail under load). The problem was fixed on the 2001 NRS.

The good news is that I was able to upgrade to an AC Air for a couple hundred bucks.

The bad news is that the dealer couldn't get the outside sales rep to return his phone calls. After two weeks, I had to phone the factory to get the ball rolling on my warranty frame. My advice is that you stay on top of the factory if you have warranty issues. The dealers get no attention.

Giant is a good company that needs some help with their customer service department. 5 for value and 2 for overall because I should not have been able to break this bike the way I did with the type of riding that I do.

Similar Products Used: Tested and demo'd many brands
Yakka Yakka   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2001]
Strength:

Hayes Discs when they work and not being re-bled so often.
Cheap as - Thanks Dell. Cranks, Rims, SID shocks, componentry more than adequate, Good all round bike - I call it the happy medium, ride it all day up and downhill. No pushing a big heavy rig up hills.

Hayes, numberous problems with re-bleeding required sooo many times its not funny, brake fail, etc, etc, pads replaced x2 in 10 months.
FRAME REPLACED AFTER 10 MONTHS OF OWNING THIS BIKE- WELD CRACKS around rear shock pivots, GIANTS BACKUP SERVICE IS COMPLETE AND UTTER S**** HERE IN OZ- now more than 2 months waiting and still waiting - NO THANKS VERY MUCH GIANT, no thanks ill be going elsewhere in future. You wait a week for a car to be replaced/repaired with an insurance company, whats going on guys???
Frame creaks, Broken spokes++++, bike never raced.
I'd probably give it 5 lemons but 4 chilles when it was new and running perfectly.

Go elsewhere, cause their(giants) service is cr**, bike rides well though, and I was happy b4 this all happened, you dont pay $3000 AUS for a bike and have it sit in the shop. Go a new craftworks FR due for release soon. How am I going to offload this bike to some unsuspecting buyer with the front half of the frame in different colours compared to the rear?

Similar Products Used: Avanti Moto, Giant 870, Trek 8500, SantaCruz Heckler,
RacerX   Downhiller [Sep 27, 2001]
Strength:

Great frame and rear suspension

brakes,Unsealed integrated headset,Rear bushings, weak ass rims.Go 20lbs higher on the rear shock then what it says and DAM!!!Broke my XTR chain on this bike 7 times.I put the cheapest heaviest one I could find onit and it has been great since.

I posted a review after having mine for a year, since that time I have changed the stem,headset,Put a Phsylo SL on taken the big ring off in favor of a raceface rock guard, changed the bars to Monkey lite risers and the post to LP Carbon and changed the seat, Rims, and switched to Hayes mechanical........I know it's alot but I really love the frame..it's really a freeride bike now and trust me!!!!it handles it no problem......If you change two things on this bike make it the brakes and the rims....and put some 2.3" tires on it.........this bike is almost as badass as my downhill ride.....but not quite... : ).....Go ride.....

Doug (SLUG) Erickson   Weekend Warrior [Nov 09, 2001]
Strength:

excellent component package,suspension works great.Hayes discs,time pedals,Sid shocks,Race Face cranks/chain rings.

Constant problems with chain-suck when shifting from middle ring to granny gear, since day one.Crappy Koski saddle.

I've been riding this bike for a year and a half,and my only complaint to date has been the problem with chain suck.
Had shop mechanic check several times, but the problem persists. Giant Rep authorized replacing middle ring,this had no effect whatsoever.
Took my XTC-DS1 to the shop this week with a cracked seat tube,it's cracked almost all the way around tube just below the top shock mount. Am waiting for a response from Giant via my local bike shop. This will be a true indicator of how reputable Giant is after the sale.
This has been a great bike,even with the continuous chain suck problem. I would still recomend this bike to anyone looking for a good all around full suspension,cross - country ride.

Similar Products Used: 1st full suspension bike.
Jim A   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2004]
Strength:

Still a great ride even at 4 years old!!!

Original Formula brakes were garbage. Replaced with Shimano XT's 4 years ago, still delighted with them.

Best Bike I've had. While some of the new rides look attractive, I'm still in love with this baby!

Overall rating dinged one Chile for the POS Formula Brakes that Giant made me buy and never stood behind. (Where's the guy that decided on those things? I want to make him eat them.