Gary Fisher 2001 Sugar 3 Full Suspension Bike

Gary Fisher 2001 Sugar 3 Full Suspension Bike

[Oct 01, 2005]
Tob

Strength:

geometry, weight

cranks (Bontrager... oooh what a surprise !), no bearing at the pivot

From the beginning to the dustbin : middle ring bent even if my shop change it for a better one (with pictures I explained why it bent to GF but no reply), . Swingarm was brocken after 2 years. GF didn't take it in warrenty, my shop did it... so I ride now with a sugar 2 from 2003 until it will... 2001 until yet just problems with this stupid pivot (supermarket bicycle technology...)

Specialized, K2, Cannondale, Yeti, Scott,...

[Jun 16, 2003]
Eli Hariton

Strength:

Great feel, not too heavy, not too light, great in the technical stuff, good control in all terrain. Good stock componants.

sometimes the shifter is a little screwy, shifts back a forth alot so i've needed to keep tunning it.

Great bike for the technical mt. biking, good in the downhill, kicks ass on the rocky cruisers. great all around bike. Pretty advanced bike, this is my first full suspension and it's workin awsome for me.

[Mar 24, 2002]
Ziggy Bruu

This is an update from my review approx 1 yr ago.

I have upgraded the brakes to Avid Disc's. If you want to put disc's on, you will need to buy a brake adaptor for the rear dropout from Fisher bikes. It is a part that shops wont carry, so e-mail fisher bikes to get the part number, then you need to order the part from a fisher dealer. Cost's around $30 USD. Took me ages to sort that out, so hopefully this will save you time!

Have replaced the chainrings with raceface ones, much stronger, and wheelset to mavic x317 for the disc's.

[Nov 27, 2001]
Will

Strength:

Good quality, good components, light weight, good looking son of a biatch as well. Geometry.

none as of yet...no problems so far with the bontrager stuf. I'm just a little more careful about shifting.

Excellent bike for the money, it really does its job well. I'm not a XC racer, but I think this bike will do a really good job for what I use it for, cross country riding. I wasn't looking for a freeride bike, and this bike has just enough travel to take the edge off harsh trails, but not take the edge off your power. I like the genesis geometry as well, I wasn't sure if I would or not, but it fits me perfect. I'm about 5'8", 140lbs, and have a 30" inseem. This bike climbs really well, and descends equally as well. Its also pretty stiff. Plus, now that the Sugar +'s are out you can get a pretty good deal on an '01 Sugar, at least I did.

Tested - Giant XtC NRS 1 & 2, Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp, Superlight, Fuel 90

[Feb 12, 2002]
Frank Bennett

Strength:

Gary Fisher name and warrenty, tires, brakes, shifters

Bontrager crank! Chainstay of frame.

I love my full suspension Sugar after riding a hard tail for years. I'm 6'7 250 so it's hard to find a stock bike that fits. This is as close as I could come. Like other reviews the bontrater crank has chainsuck written all over it. Also my frame did crack after 600 miles. The guys at Sunshine Cycle in Greenville SC are great and with the help of the Fisher rep had me back on the trails with a (Sugar 1) carbon fiber chain stay and LX hollowtech crank after two weeks. If you buy a bike buy it from these guys. It's been great since the changes.

Fuel 90

[Oct 31, 2001]
Christopher

Strength:

A great bike, which feels like a hardtail, but which filters out the shock of riding over rough ground (good for your lower back, if you are just over 40, like me). This is my first MTB and I took some time and care to choose. I was looking for soemthing I would not want to change quickly, so proven quality was the prime criteria plus a sensible price / performance ratio and a good base to upgrade from. I really enjoy riding this bike on fast trails through the forest but it can also manage some steep downhill runs, without frightening me. I bought the bike because my son is getting heavily into mountain biking - although he is more intersted in jumping and going steep downhill he keeps trying to take it out because it´s fast and he likes the feel and the "Gary Fisher" name. His friends think it´s great too, which is important if you are 13 !

None noticed at the moment, except the standard saddle, which I changed at purchase for a Flite Trans Am, which is very comfortable

I wanted to buy the best at a good price and I am convinced that I made the right decision. As the bike is fun, fast and comfortable I will certainly ride it every weekend. I feel it is a good bike for someone like me who is interested in riding a bike fast down single trails. It is easy to control so makes me feel safe.

[Oct 30, 2001]
Tom

Strength:

Very smooth ride and excellent handling.

Bontrager crank!!!

This bike was a nightmare with the Bontrager crank. The chain would skip, fall off, all of the above... I had the excellent staff at Action Wheels swap it out with an XT Hollowtech crank. The nightmare has turned into a dream come true as this is NOW the best bike that I have ever owned. All of my problems have gone away. It is also important to take the bike back for a tune-up after the first 3 weeks of good hard riding. Makes all of the difference the world!!

[Feb 04, 2002]
Justin Hlavin

Strength:

Solid x-country bike, great rear suspension, a good value

some weaker components

Because of back problems I had to find a cross country full suspension. I found this on sale because its last year's model. I changed out the wheels, brakes, and entire front end from the better parts from my older Raleigh M-80. Its been a great bike. But when it gets muddy, there is aweful chain suck into the chain stays and cranks. I think the Sugar series are the best X-country full suspension bikes available. The only thing other bike I would buy is the Sugar 2+ disc.

tested Fuel 90 and K2 Evo

[Jan 15, 2002]
Sean

Strength:

Smooooth

Can't think of any...

Fast. The fact is that this bike at 2000 dollars would still be a great bike. It just feels light. It doesn't compare to my 1700 mile old full rigid at all. Feels like it helps my up the hill instead of weighing what little 26 lbs it does, and descending is like railing. Nothing more than a four-foot drop, no 5 in. of travel, this is a short travel suspension bike. I feel a 3+ might be a bad idea. Worth every penny

1998 Giant full rigid

[Jul 01, 2002]
Robert

Strength:

Geometry, balance, brakes (disc)

Crankset, swingarm

After cracking my swingarm for the SECOND time in the exact same place Fisher upgraded me to the Plus Frame and swingarm. Now I have an 02 frame, shock, swingarm with Hayes Disc brakes and Marzocci z3 airs that are 100mm. The 4.1" setting rocks compared to the 2.5" on the 01. You can set the bike up so much plusher, and take bigger hits with more confidence. My riding style is further away from racing than it is "adventure" riding. If yours is similar and you crack your swingarm, push for the PLUS frame from your fisher rep. You will not regret it.